Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Gotta knit 'em together to see...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  10:58:54 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
The one thing I have learned over the years is that I cannot necessarily see how different yarns will go together without knitting them together! One time I was making a baby's coveralls and was going to stripe it in baby blue and turquoise, which when the two skeins were held next to each other looked very contrasty. When knit in stripes, it looked like a solid color. I have also knit things with colors that looked great next to each other but when knit looked awful! And conversely, when I have used two or more strands of yarn together, things that look like they would really clash look terrific knit up!

You just never know......

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I find the same thing happens when I buy multi-colored fiber. You can't tell how it's going to look once it's spun, and then when it's spun you can't tell if it'll look good knit up! I bought some absolutely butt-ugly Targhee in orange, green, and purple which is now a beautiful pair of fun stripey socks. Conversely, I bought a lovely Romney in deep shades of blue, green, maroon, and black that is turning into a rather disappointing, dull pair of socks. Oh, well.

--Susan T-O

Life is like eating a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, may burn your hiney tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  09:34:46 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
Yeah, that too! Ages ago I bought some cheap variegated yarn to make a scarf and somehow the variations clicked with the # of stitches and I wound up with an almost perfect Argyle pattern! Never since (of course, I haven't tried to do it again.....).

Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
a peice of clear, red acytate, the kind used to make overhead projector transparentcies- --available in most art supply stores, as singl sheet--is a great tool.

contrast exist on 2 levels.. color (yellow/ purple, red/green,,blue/orange , black/white) as shades (light, medium , dark)
sometimes, the same shades of different colors don't offer enough contrast.

this is where the clear red sheet comes in.. look at the yarn(fabric) under the red sheet. if you can't tell the different colors apart, you won't be able to 'see' the stripes clearly either!.

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  11:11:55 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
What a cool idea-- any idea why the red sheet does that?

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
well, partly because its dark, and partly because of its wave length, (blue is the shortest wave length of visible light, red is the longest..) i've used it to proof read web sites, to make sure the colors/contrast levels work for visually handicapped people (if the site isn't easy to read with the red filter, it won't be easy to read in low light, or for visually impared users.) since all web sites are supposed to be accessable (many still aren't) the sheet over the monitor is one quick test.
You could find certain shades of grey that work better, but... red is no brainer!

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:25:51 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Very cool... thanks for sharing :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.