Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 One for puzzle lovers! Seaming Hexagons
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message
First, is there a way to seam heaxagons such that you don't end up with a bunch of little segments left over? I can't find one. No matter how it's done, there is always a bunch of single sides left over.

Second, if there isn't a way, would it compromise the seaming to seam them and then, to get by them for the next "flow" seaming, just run it through, as if you were weaving in ends? Each hexagon edge is about 2.25", if that helps.

Is there a better way???

Many, many thanks!!!

stubbolly
Chatty Knitter

146 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  1:31:17 PM  Show Profile Send stubbolly a Private Message
I'm probably not going to be a whole lot of help here, but I'll try!

I was actually working on this myself just a little bit ago but have since abandoned the project, for several reasons. I never actually got as far as seaming anything but I was doing the figuring for it. My hexagons were knit and I was going to do two rounds of single crochet around each (each done separately before joining), then slip stitch them all together. The problem that I ran into was that the yarn I used to knit with was way to heavy to use to join them -- the edges were stretched out when I used the same size hook as needle; when I went down in hook sizes, the edge got really thick and dense which I didn't like. So, I've been hunting down a lighter weight yarn in the color I want but have yet to come up with anything, which is why it's now officially a UFO.

Anyway, as for HOW I was planning on doing it...

I had each hexagon oriented so that there was an 'edge' at the top and bottom and a 'point' at 3:00 and 9:00. I was going to put them together in diagonal strips going from bottom left to top right -- join a bottom & top, then a lower left edge & a upper right edge, then another bottom & top, lower left & upper right, and so on down the line. When I got the the side I'd go up and around the hexagon and then start back down doing the bottoms & tops and lower lefts & upper rights of the strip I had just join with the next strip of hexagons. Technically you could zig-zag like this all the way from one corner to the other with one long piece of yarn. But like you were worried about, it would still leave a lot of little segments left to do (the lower right & upper left seam on each pair). I couldn't figure out any way around that.

I know, that's probably WAY more information that what you need but I just wanted to give you my background info in case it saves you any headaches when putting your hexagons together. Hopefully you'll be able to find something useful in here!
Go to Top of Page

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  07:16:07 AM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message
Many thanks for your thoughtful reply, Stubbolly! I guess there's no way to "swoop" through it like squares, though, is there? Oh, well. That's the price we pay! Hey, was your thickness on your sc borders or the actual slip stitch joining? If the borders were stretching, you can just sc2tog as necessary with the "right" size hook and it won't stretch. If it's in slip stitching together, maybe just seam them instead? Shouldn't be as thick, then. I plan to hold mine faces together and then whip stitch through the back 1/2 of each loop. Or "S" stitch (back and forth rather than around and around). Anyway, many thanks again!!!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I've made a lot of hexagon quilts and eventually I figured out that the most efficient way was to join only two sides at once, like this \_. To straighten the sides, you need to make half hexagons and insert them.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

stubbolly
Chatty Knitter

146 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  07:36:01 AM  Show Profile Send stubbolly a Private Message
ak - the part that was too thick was the 2 sc rounds. The outer edge of my hexagons have 15 stitches per side and I was bound and determined to put 1 sc in each stitch, increasing one in each corner so that there were 16 sc on the first round and 17 sc on the second. I was way too caught up in the numbers (a very bad habit of mine) and never even thought about doing anything other than what I wanted. I'm going to have to pick it up again and try the sc2tog like you suggested. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  12:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message
No problem. At the corners, you might need to add more than 1, though, to get good points. Or you can sc-ch[x]-sc in the corner stitch, where [x] is the number that works best.....you like numbers, you should be albe to find the best one!!! Thanks again!

And Fran, thanks again also! I will look at the \__ method, also. I am definately open to suggestions. I'll be putting in half hexagons on the "wonky" edge, but leaving the zig-zag edge alone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe