Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Getting Published?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kitty
New Pal

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile Send kitty a Private Message
Hi everyone, first let me say that I love this forum-it is so full of friendly people and great advice.

I started knitting a couple of years ago and in that time I have developed several original patterns. I would love to hear from anyone who has been published or knows where designs might be submitted for consideration.

kitty.

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  6:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
First of all, even before you go into that, I would suggest doing what I'm told is called a "poor man's copywright" for anything you're considering publishing - put it in a sealed (and clearly marked)envelope, mail it to yourself. The post date will serve as official proof that it was your idea at a certain point in time, so don't open it unless you need to as proof (and make sure someone official is with you when you do)

Good luck!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  6:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Many magazines will take submissions but be sure the read the contract first! There are usually stipulations that it must be your original idea, that it has not been published elsewhere, etc...

TKGA was looking for submissions in the last Cast-On magazine I believe.

Good Luck!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  01:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I've been thinking about publishing my patterns too. Actually, my husband told me to write a book. I never follow a pattern, always make up my own stuff. I received such nice comments on my patterns I have posted or shared online that I thought I might as well send them to magazines etc.
However, I'm not sure how to go about that. Anyone here done that before?????

Happy Knitting,
Knitter2568
knitter@newsguy.com
http://www.geocities.com/knitter2568
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  5:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I have had stuff published but nothing recent. Two years ago I started publishing my own patterns with my trusty laser printer and a color photo printer. I sell the patterns to local yarn shops and online. I don't make a mint but it pays for my habit.

You might try printing some samples and sending them out to shops? You never know...

Good Luck,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Actually the "poor man's copyright" doesn't work! Let me see if I can find the article I recently read. It's one of those myths we've all heard about. And copyright is very different depending where you live so check the government sites for your country. Basically you need to register through the government office for your country. I'll try to find that link for you.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  1:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
It's on the Library of Congress web site. http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  6:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
rofl

Did anyone else notice that in the "FAQ" section of that link, #58 was "How can I protect my sighting of Elvis?

It's not so much that the question was asked, but that it made it to the most Frequently Asked list that amuses me so....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2002 :  04:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message

I promise not to use your sighting of Elvis if you don't use mine!

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  3:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I happen to know that Elvis is alive and well. And living just outside Dallas, Tx. His kids go to daycare with mine! He still wears those rinestone studded jumpsuits too... but he does have the coolest sunglasses.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  8:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
BE sure to check out the new forum section on anouncements that Clara just set up. It's got a call for submissions from Knitters Magazine!

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  10:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
What Bess is too shy to mention is that she provided the info - Way to go, Bess!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe