Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 Manual vs electronic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jana M
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  1:55:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jana M a Private Message
Hi Knitters!
I'm new to the forum & would like to know if anyone has an opinion about the Silver Reed SK160 (manual) vs the electronic version (SK860). The electronic one is very expensive & I am new to machine knitting. I love computers and would not be intimidated by the software if it's well-written. But, I have never used a knitting machine - so should I buy the manual version & then upgrade later? I'd love to hear opinions from anyone who has used either...

Thanks,
Jana M

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  7:10:52 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
I'm old, cranky and have a bad attitude about consumer electronics. I don't want any computer controls on my stove, my washing machine, my sewing machine or my knitting machine. I have no issues with computers per se, I just don't want breakable stuff on things I use day in and day out.

My purely mechanical knitting machines are all between 15 and 18 years old and work perfectly well. I used a 50 year old mechanical knitting machine. My sister's computerized sewing machine died at the age of 3. My Pfaff is about 46.

There are nice, mechanical knitting machines with power options that will knit for you but work on punch cards. Uyvonne (who was the director of Brother's knitting machine school) had 2 or 3 back in the 80s and they did fabulous work.

Like I said, I'm old and irritable and I prefer to buy things that I won't have to spend extra money fixing. (I don't want any computer controls in my refrigerator with RF tags either).

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

Jana M
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  7:39:38 PM  Show Profile Send Jana M a Private Message
Thanks Llinn, I know what you mean - I have a 1960 Singer that still works great. I appreciate your comments about breakable stuff...That said, I still am curious to know what the big difference is.

JanaM
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  6:29:52 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I am a machine knitter and my advice to you is to buy the most you can afford, because you will just want to upgrade later at added cost. I have 2 electronic machines and one punch card, and I hardly ever use the punch card.

Electronically, I have never had anything go wrong with my machines. What breaks or needs repair are the mechanical parts. But I have had very few repairs needed.

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  02:38:42 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Hi: I have the SK860 with the ribber and EC=1. It is a good machine for sport weight yarn and light worsted. Check for prices before making a decision. The prices I've checked on the internet for the SK160 is an average price of $750, to upgrade the carriage from 160 to 860 is $549. The cost of an SK860 is $1299. On both sites I checked for prices they don't list an EC1 as being available, just a cable package for DAK. If you have a dealer close to you, I would go an get as much information as you can before making a decision. I have 3 electronic machines and 4 non electronic and have never had any problems with any. (only operator errors).
Hope this helps, if you need more information, let me know.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?