Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 Thread Crochet Obsession
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yarnboz43
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  8:06:47 PM  Show Profile Send yarnboz43 a Private Message
Are there any knitters who, like me, enjoy the contrasting art of crocheting with thread interspersed with knitting? I find it to be a different mindset and very satisfying. Plus, the small items, snowflakes, etc., can be done fast and are fun to give away. Just curious to hear of any like minded folks out there. I'm not seeing tremendous numbers of thread crochet bloggers!

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  01:46:35 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
I have an issue of Sunset magazine that had thread crochet snowflakes and I've always thought I'd like to try making them one day. It would be a HUGE change for me, though, since I love freeform crochet. I recently took a class from Sarah Lytle, which has inspired me to be even freer and faster in my freeform (and we use a REALLY BIG hook!).

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  06:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I don't seem to have enough time for my knitting ...... but I really like the looks of thread crochet and have found that when I crochet, I prefer the small hooks and thread. I have some thread patterns set aside to try when/if I ever find the time.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Expat2
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  07:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Expat2's Homepage Send Expat2 a Private Message
I love thread crochet. Although I have to control myself otherwise the house would be covered in items. The other thing is that you can get a lot of rows out of one ball of thread so it is very cost effective. Although not the best for your eyesight.
Go to Top of Page

Wheat
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  12:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wheat's Homepage Send Wheat a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yarnboz43

Are there any knitters who, like me, enjoy the contrasting art of crocheting with thread interspersed with knitting? I find it to be a different mindset and very satisfying. Plus, the small items, snowflakes, etc., can be done fast and are fun to give away. Just curious to hear of any like minded folks out there. I'm not seeing tremendous numbers of thread crochet bloggers!

although not limited to "thread" many of the free formers combine Knit & Crochet to fabulous effect.

AMong the books currently available, my personal favorite continues to be Jenny Dowde's

Here is a link to her Freefrom Knit & Crochet Gallery

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/jdesigns/Freeform%20KnittingandCrochet.htm

Enjoy

Wheat
Go to Top of Page

yarnboz43
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  8:41:06 PM  Show Profile Send yarnboz43 a Private Message
That's a cool site and tremendous mixing of color and texture. I also agree the tiny hooks and thread are not easy on the eyes and sometimes the hands. On the other hand it is such a different feel from knitting, and, to me, yarn crochet, that it is almost a different kind of outlet. My dream project is to do my own window covering -- designing the look first and more asymmetrical than what most of the pattern books offer. A bedspread would be great too. I will write you all when I'm 99 years old and let you know if I've finished them yet!
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  04:33:44 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
There is an absolutely beautiful free doily pattern Today Only (July 16) at www.anniesattic.com (Pattern of the Day). Way beyond my skill level, but take a look, warmly, Chayah[meow]

"When I was young I admired clever people. Now that I'm old I admire kind people."(A.J.Heschel)
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  05:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
Wow! I like the pattern .... but all those written instructions scare me the same way the written line by line instructions for knitted lace scared me. that fear led me to learning to read knitting charts so guess I need to learn to read crochet charts and chart this thing.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  08:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
I believe I still have many balls of thread for crochet that were given to me. I'm happy to send them to someone, for the postage.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftdudley83
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  7:49:06 PM  Show Profile Send craftdudley83 a Private Message
I just finished this really cool mesh top for my daughter.I designed it on paper,got the stitch count right and crocheted it with black crochet thread,I adorned the edges with pink and white crystal beads
and bigger beads on the sleeves, so I could make detachable long sleeves and use the big beads as buttons to button on the long sleeves for a more ravishing look.(I love making short sleeve shirts that can be transformed into long sleeves with ribbon or buttons.)But if I had a camra I would take a picture for you all to see,the top came out exactly as I imagined it to be and it is so bueatiful,although it did take all my thread just for the shirt and now I need more for the longer sleeves and for a tank top shirt to go underneath it.I do have to say I love crochet thread.

Elizabeth from N.C.
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
I too was gifted with tons of crochet thread that needs a good home. PM me if you are interested. I would be willing to send it!!

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Butterfly Lady
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile Send Butterfly Lady a Private Message
I'm coming in late on this (I only just discovered the crochet area of the forum) but I too love to crochet with thread. I make delicate lace edgings to pillowcases and dresser scarves and such. I use a really old magazine that I got at a yard sale for patterns....it's so hard to get nice patterns in the newer magazines. And even harder to find the thin cotton thread I like to use!
Go to Top of Page

mamarose22
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:50:15 AM  Show Profile Send mamarose22 a Private Message
I used to do a lot of thread crochet. I used to make hanky edgings, crochted doilies, placemats etc.. Now that I am older, I have carpal tunnel, trigger fingers (had surgery on 3), and arthritis, which makes it difficult to work with thread. Occasionally I do make a few thread items. I have recently made some thread snowflakes and angels. I volunteer my labor for a sr. crafting group and we sell all sorts of hand crafted items, crocheted, knitted, sewn etc., and the profits go to charity.
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  6:58:19 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message
DMC Senso was my thread of choice for this summer. (Recently turned 50 and this bright thread was very easy for the eyes.)

I decided to make tote bags for my yarn purchases so as not to use any more plastic bags.

The DMC site had a free pattern for a tote:

http://www.dmc-usa.com/mjRS/1/doc/Crochet_Free_Projects/Instructions_for_Tosca_Hobo_Denim_Bag.pdf

that I modified larger and smaller, shoulder strap or carrying handles, in all the different thread options and colors.

I had fun. DH didn't like the yarn display on the family room rug, but, it's cleared up now. He's fine [:00]

Love my first love, crochet.

[meow][meow]

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
I just got the 111 easy edgings booklet because I found some lovely handdyed perle cotton from Romania at Lacis two weekends ago.

I like these patterns because they are knit lengthways, not from a foundation row. I just got it last night though, and have not had a chance to try it yet....seeing how busy I was casting on things this weekend.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnboz43
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  7:20:17 PM  Show Profile Send yarnboz43 a Private Message
For those that are interested in thread crochet but have trouble finding the patterns, steel hooks or the small threads, I recommend eBay. There are just tons of items and it's possible to score nice vintage threads. It is much easier than hunting at the local craft emporium. I like the element of mystery about some of the "estate sale" items, but that's just me -- occasionally they show up dusty or whatever. By and large I am happy and have quite the stash. Many folks will be getting small items at the holidays this year!! Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe