Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 Freeform crochet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  7:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Kathy, I really appreciate your linking us to the Sylvia Cosh website with notes from those workshops. That is a great resource and I was so tickled to find it through your direction. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  12:29:38 PM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Oh, Chelle, currently am working out details to come to Missouri sometime in April 2008 to do a workshop and some teaching as well so hopefully we can meet up and do some freeforming together! I'll let you know when the dates are firmed up. As for the book release, I'm not sure but I did get my first advance check so that makes it a real deal to me. As soon as I know the release date, I'll let you know. You're right about Ravelry being a great site. I'm enjoying it so much and it's fun to see what others are doing as well as get help with questions regarding projects. I think freeform is really chugging along in terms of gaining popularity. I agree with Jenny as to the "taking your yarn for a walk" method as well as a few tricks up my own sleeve in terms of techniques.
Go to Top of Page

JenD
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  3:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit JenD's Homepage Send JenD a Private Message
Chelle - I just checked my status at Ravelry and there are now only 3634 people ahead of me<G>, so I reckon I might get my invite sometime next week the way they are going. I'll start thinking about Flickr soon. I'm a tad busy right now.

Janice - what's the name of your book? If you've just received your advance cheque does this mean you still have to write it so maybe it doesn't have a title yet? Or is the manuscript done and you just have to have it edited, design layout done etc? This book stuff is all VERY exciting and I have to agree that getting that first advance cheque DOES make it 'real'...even more so than signing a contract I think although the first time you do that is rather mind-blowing. Probably because you KNOW you are now committed<G>... I got my advance copy of Surface Works yesterday and although I'd seen colour proofs etc, there is nothing like holding the actual "baby" in your hands for the first time. And the excitement doesn't decrease with each book either, at least for me. It's a very special moment. Anyway, let us know your title and when we should start looking out for it....

Jenny

www.jennydowde.com
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  4:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Jenny, oh good, you'll be on VERY soon. Probably by at least the weekend. They work amazingly fast. I already mentioned your books on one of the Freeforming groups over there. I was re-reading your first book today at work, and it reminded me of how excellent your work is. Those books are very comprehensive. I like the fact that both knitting and crochet methods and techniques are included. I was also struck by how helpful your chapter on Color is.

Janice, I can't wait until you come to Missouri. That will be such a blast!! I'll meet you anywhere you want. Just name the day, time and place. I want to go to your classes and I can't believe you're coming to my state. Yippee!!!

Go to Top of Page

JenD
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  5:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit JenD's Homepage Send JenD a Private Message
Hi Chelle...they do seem to be proceeding faster now, so maybe I will be on by the weekend.
Thanks for mentioning my books...that's lovely of you and I appreciate it greatly! Glad you like the colour chapter....colour is my passion and it's so important in freeforming - bad colour choices can ruin an otherwise perfect piece which is why I included it in both those first two books.

Uh oh.....I think Missouri had better watch out!<G>...

Jenny

www.jennydowde.com
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  04:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Jenny, if you can make it to tour over here in the US I'd be SORELY tempted to try to get to where you're going. I don't have much vacation time or money but . . . . shesh!

California seems to be the mecca of freeforming in the US. Many of the commenters on this thread are from that area from what I understand.

One thing I like about your books is that while you offer the readers a lot of freedom - it is Freeform after all, so there's always plenty of room for creativity, you also give concrete ideas and instructions for scrumbles so that the readers can try out some of these techniques and see what they like. Now that I've learned to crochet, I'm going to be able to try out more of your scrumble instructions and I'm really excited about that. I learned to crochet specifically for freeforming ventures.

I am a slow knitter and crocheter, and I haven't done much Freeforming yet, but my goal is to always have ONE freeforming project in the works because I get so much enjoyment about of the creativity and fun involved in it. And you're right, the color is so important. I still struggle with putting colors together, but your information in the book is certainly helpful.

I may attempt a vest or a sweater next - I might try a Grow as you Go. I'm not sure yet! I think I'll make the yoke from the scrumbles and then attempt to crochet or knit off of that yoke.
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:20:40 PM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Jenny - you are right about the first check in hand. It does make it all more real. There is still more editing, photo shoots and definitive decision on the title but the project is chugging along. As soon as I know the release date, I will share it with you.

Chelle - I can't wait to come to Missouri as well and finally get the chance to meet with you and play with yarn together. I am excited about this too.

Ravelry is certainly a lot of fun and cruising around in there has revealed people with amazing talent and projects to admire. I am enjoying myself so much. Happy freeforming.
Go to Top of Page

JenD
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit JenD's Homepage Send JenD a Private Message
Hi Chelle,
If I get to the States, it would be great if you could get to where I am or I could get to your area - I agree that we need to get the freeform word spread around more, and not just in CA....We'll work on it<G>..

Patterns and freeform is of course an oxy-moron but apart from the publisher insisting on 'detailed instructions', I included the fragment patterns after seeing how some of my students struggle with the concept because they have been following row-by-row pattern instructions for years.
The first time I used the fragments in a class it was amazing to see the light-bulbs go on as the concept was grasped. It was absolutely fascinating to see how different each one was too...due to misinterpretation of the instructions (which I encourage<G>)....and also the different yarns used. So, into the book they went. And when people asked for me to put some into the 2nd book, I added some in there too.

You could certainly assemble the yoke and work off that....I worked the opposite way....The body of my 'Grow as you Go' Jacket was crocheted sideways, to the shape of a template, in one piece all the way around. I used a shape with a square armhole to make life easier. The yoke fragments were placed on the top section of the template, stitched together and then the yoke was stitched to the body. The sleeves were also worked to a template shape. I added length to both sleeves and body later, because I decided they needed it. That's the beauty of freeform! And why we love it so!

Sometimes, for beginners, it's better to make something small and uncomplicated to begin with, much like you did with your vest. It makes the end result more achievable and the technique not so intimidating. I hate to see my students take on a full garment only to lose interest because they aren't sure enough of what they are doing. Little baby steps is sometimes a very good approach.

However, you dear Chelle, are ready to tackle a larger project! So go for it girl! <G>

Jenny

www.jennydowde.com
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:31:45 PM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Hi Jenny - I agree about the check in hand making things very real. At this point, there is some editing to do, a number of photo shoots and final decision on title, but things are coming along although it always seems to take longer than one thinks. So far, I'm really happy with the process. Additionally, there are some regular crochet projects in the works and magazine submissions pending. It's rather heady stuff to me anyway.

Missouri is certainly in for a surprise, maybe we can bring those knitters over to the dark side (crocheting) He-he. One can only hope to make a few converts at least.

Today, I was going through orphan projects and seeing what needed to be done to complete them. Additionally, there were four pairs of socks on the needles that need finishing. So, needless to say, I need to finish them so I'll have warm toes for winter.
Go to Top of Page

JenD
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit JenD's Homepage Send JenD a Private Message
Hi Janice,

Dont'cha just love how we spell things differently...cheque/check....colour/color....hehehehe...

I know exactly what you are feeling about the book process - it does seem to take forever, but one gets used to that after three books<G>...It will come together and suddenly you'll be holding your baby in your hands!

I'm sure you will convert a few Missourian knitters....just beat them about the head with a crochet hook! I'm kidding of course<G>...show them great stuff, impress on them how UNIQUE the things they'll make will be, and most importantly that there are no mistakes and if they make any, how to turn them into design elements. If that doesn't get 'em, nothing will! LOL...

BTW..Knowing that you needlefelt a lot, I've been meaning to mention that I'm a relative beginner at needlefelting - freeform style of course - I've have done a little by hand and it gets a mention in my latest book....but recently (a few months ago)I bought myself a needlefelting machine and it's really cool! Not done much with it due to other commitments but I love it. Can't wait to set myself loose on it. I quite like the manual way as well but it's much slower.

I've never knitted a pair of socks in my LIFE! Made a pair of bootees on a knitting machine years ago because we HAD to make them as part of the course I was doing, but that's as close as I've been. Maybe if I lived in a colder country I'd knit 'em, but so far they've not tempted my Muse at all...You'd better get a wriggle on since the cold weather must be closing in on you by now<G>...

Jenny

www.jennydowde.com
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Jenny - needlefelting is quite enjoyable. I also have an Embellisher machine which sure speeds up the process. What I usually do is sort of "sketch out" things with needlefelting and then go back and attach more definitively with the machine. It seems to give me more control of how gracefully vines and things appear on the finished product. I've been incorporating it into freeform projects and really like the juxtaposition of the two techniques.

The fact that you have done so many books is impressive. You must have zillions of ideas coursing through your brain and out your fingers. I am totally impressed. This whole book thing is a new experience and very exciting to me. As I don't really know that much about the process (although I am learning) it is a bit like labor, a lot of work but when the baby arrives it will be completely worth it. Thanks for your encouragement.

As for sock knitting, it is a bit like instant gratification for me. I like making cotton socks for summer and woolen ones for winter. Unfortunately, it is about 90 degrees here today, so I am barefooted and playing with wool anyway.
Go to Top of Page

JenD
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  3:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit JenD's Homepage Send JenD a Private Message
Gosh, Janice...your words about the book thing being such a new experience for you etc sure bring back memories. I remember MY first book experience so clearly! I too, had absolutely no idea what I was doing, knew nothing about anything, didn't realise publishers live in a world of their own and was totally mystified by the entire process. LOL....it all worked itself out though. And, it got easier after that - they actually came to me for book 2 which was rather nice for my ego<G>...and now I can even chat to them without feeling like I need to curtsy first! LOL... I still reckon they live in a different world to me but I gather all authors, at least the ones I know, feel that way.
As for ideas...I only start out with a handful but during the writing process, as I'm working on one 'idea' another one will generate itself from the idea I'm working on. A bit like rabbits multiplying really.... I'm always asking myself 'what if' or 'I wonder how'<G>... So I'm continually making notes for future ideas...some of which work, some of which don't. Some still lie waiting in notebooks waiting for me to rediscover them. And, I like diversity so although I'm a freeformer at heart, I NEED to follow different paths and explore new things. Whether this is a good thing or not is debatable. Diversity or focus, that is the question. I think for me the answer is diversity. And in fact, this topic is what I'm currently writing about for our Textile Fibre magazine!

I'm not making any promises here, but maybe, ONE day, I MIGHT knit a pair of sox<G>...

Jenny

www.jennydowde.com
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  6:53:07 PM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
You are so right about ideas multiplying as one goes along. Over the last 20 years or so, I've kept notebooks full of random ideas, quick sketches, dyeing notes for yarns and fabrics, scribbles of stitch patterns. They may not make sense to anyone else but for me they are a treasure chest. Sometimes, I write on the odd bit of paper so these are stapled or taped to the books as well.

Diversity is much more my favorite method but there certainly is a great deal of focus in this approach for me as I like to see what else can be brought to the table in terms of design and tactile delights. It is great that the publishers came calling on you the second time. That would be a boost and I certainly hope to follow in your very capable and artistic footsteps (although at this point, I am but a toddler!) Freeform has such a wide spectrum that I don't think anyone has even begun to push the envelope on what can be done with it. When I get a new idea or try a new fiber, I'm always amazed by the outcome whether it is successful or not.
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  7:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Kim are you still on here? You haven't piped up much lately. When you get on Ravelry, give me a shout. I'm ChelleC over there.

Jenny, when you mention the Grow as You Go Technique, are you saying that you crocheted separate pieces, like for the lower body, then the sleeves, did you have both a front and back? Then you added the yoke to the upper part of the front template and stitched them to the body? I'm still a bit unclear on that. Your sweater turned out beautifully.

Janice, when is your book coming out and do you have a title yet? I can't wait to get it. You are extremely talented and I enjoy seeing your work.

Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:41:23 AM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
There are actually two book projects in the works, one is on more conventional crochet projects and should be out sometime in 2008. They are debating on whether to combine knitting and crochet so therefore the title is still up in the air. The actual freeform book is as yet untitled as we can't seem to agree. Any suggestions are welcome. That one should be out in 2008 also. As publishers are handling these things, it under their control. I am just along for the ride, I'm afraid and as this is my first book publishing I am learning the process as I go along. I can't wait to see how it is all going to look in print. So far, they are very pleased with everything I have presented so that is a good sign.

Kim emailed me last week and it seems that she has been really busy and did a freeform class this last weekend. She is a very talented and artistic person so I am sure that her students enjoyed the class and learned a lot. She should do well with this endeavor.
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  7:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Janice, wow, you have not one but TWO books in the works. And now that I'm doing crochet, too, I will appreciate both books. Sounds like the crochet one may be out first, right?
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:19:01 AM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
This topic seems to be coming along with more interest being generated now. Love it!

There will be two books, one is on sort of regular crochet projects - kind of quicky things and the other is on freeform. The regular one should be out first. So, needless to say, I am like a hen sitting on an egg waiting for them both to hatch.
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  10:04:48 AM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
This weekend has been a whirlwind of activity. Went to the Contemporary Craft Market show in Santa Monica,CA. Wow, so many spectacular artists. Just amazing, clothing, jewelry, knitting, crocheting, woodworking, ceramics, etc. Absolutely top notch and very inspiring! As for freeform knitting and crochet, I have been creating some new pieces and these will be featured in an upcoming Belle Armoire magazine in 2008. It certainly seems that people are more receptive to the idea of freeform these days. That's terrific as there are so very many interpretations of this art form. Check out some new stuff on my blog http://janicerosema.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  6:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Janice, I am so glad to have found your blog. Finally we get to click onto it and see your work. I'm also glad you've been posting frequently. I've been very inspired by your work, as you know.

Also, I can't wait to read your articles in Belle Armoire. I love that mag. Do you know which issue you'll be in? I know it's sometime in 2008, let us know when you have details about that. Your freeform jewelry is unique and would make wonderful holiday gifts.

Yes, Freeform seems to be really rising in awareness and popularity. I am so glad! When I used to say "freeform" people would look at me funny and scratch their heads. Nowadays, when I mention it, there is much more interest and understanding of what I'm referring to.

Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  12:23:47 PM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Hi Chelle,

Concerning the Belle Armoire article, one should be in early part of 2008, maybe around March. They also selected a few other things for articles but not sure when those will come out. As I know more, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I get to experiment with new fibers and yarns. Yipee!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?