Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 Freeform crochet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

gill 70
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  03:03:27 AM  Show Profile Send gill 70 a Private Message
Just wondered if anyone tries to do the freeform crochet/knitting. I have done a few "scumbles" but have not got on very far with it as mainly have mohair wool (masses of it) that is stored in plastic bags in my loft. so I don't really want to start to buy more different types of yarn which I will have to do to continue.
Greetings from England

judye
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  08:06:01 AM  Show Profile Send judye a Private Message
Your topic reminds me of a wonderful creative crochet artist who is, unfortunately, no longer with us. I have her books at home and can't at this moment remember her name, but she was famous for making scrubles and freeform abstracts. She was from the United Kingdom, and I bet you know who I am talking about. I think I have two of her books and the one I am thinking of has a course in shaping made from scrubles.

You really don't have to go and buy new yarn. You can use your mohair or even a worsted weight common yarn. Anything would be appropriate.

let us know how you're doing.

It's a very interesting way of thinking re design.

sincerely,

judy

Greetings from USA - New Jersey
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
That's such a coincidence! I just discovered that Clara has a new section where it looks like we can talk about the forums, and I have asked her (again) if we can have our own Freeform Forum. It is so hard to search for the past topics where we used to have such great discussions. If I can find some of them, I'll try to link you to them.

And Judy, were you thinking of Sylvia Cosh? She and James Walters (who has sort of recently joined our wonderful International Freeform Crochet Yahoo Group) have a long out of print book called "The Crochet Workbook". I was lucky to finally find one after a few years of keeping it as a search on eBay. Someone is always trying to sell a copy for about $95, but if you look long enough you can find it for $40 or $50. This week, James and others are talking about the possiblity of writing a new book on freeform crochet and how Dover Books is very interested in crochet, considering it "The-Next-Big-Thing".

The LA Public Library had two copies of the Crochet Workbook, but one seems to have been checked out for years so it can be presumed stolen. I checked out the other and scanned several pages, thinking I might never see the book again if the last one was stolen, but I finally have my own copy!

Check out our Yahoo Group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FFCrochet/

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  6:29:04 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Gill 70,

You might just want to do a search on KR for "Freeform Vest" and check out the thread that Chelle started a year ago (can it be that long that we were all talking so excitedly about freeform? There are lots of links to other threads and websites on that thread.

In the meantime, check out this link, Sara's style would translate well to mohair. She uses a GIANT hook! Her boas look just like her large crocheted fabrics as a base and then she adds hooked fibers and torn fabrics:
http://www.saralytle.com/

I was so lucky to have heard that Sara Lytle would be teaching at a fiber guild a couple of hours drive away and I was able to take her class last Saturday! I plan on doing a lot of FF on my drive to San Francisco this weekend (except when it's my turn to drive, of course!). She gave us all hooks. They seem to be twice as large as the P or Q that I found at JoAnn's yesterday. I may carve some more hooks from some small branches or big twigs. For a tutorial on hook carving, check out Jimbo at:
http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/
and his hook carving tutorial at:
http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_jimbosfrontporch_archive.html

Have fun with your mohair!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

gill 70
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  04:43:44 AM  Show Profile Send gill 70 a Private Message
Wasn't able to return to this forum as had to go away in a rush. Great to see how people still are doing the freeform . I find Prudence Mapstone has some lovely ideas and I am lucky to have 2 books by Sandra Cosh . Shall spend ages today going through the blogs and sites given . How wonderful the internet is . Gill (on a cool day in England)
Go to Top of Page

Janice Rosema
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Rosema a Private Message
Ah- freeform knitting and crochet! My favorite form of fiber expression. Have been working on a lot of projects as well as teaching recently. Also designing for Ozark Handspun yarns and they featured one of my shawls in the fashion show at the Ohio TNNA. Apparently, it was quite a hit and attracted a lot of attention (even from Vogue magazine.) I must admit it made me feel good to see such a great response to freeform work.

Last Saturday, Kim, Mary and I were in Santa Barbara at a presentation and workshop by freeform crocheter Sara Lytle and I must say that her work is wonderfully wild and gorgeous! It was a totally wonderful experience. There are many variations and interpretations of this work such as Prudence Mapstone and also Sylvia Cosh (who passed away a number of years ago.) However, I just read in the International Freeform Guild Yahoo group that James Walters (Sylvia's partner in her book) is going to be updating the Crochet Workbook! Yeah! I can't wait to see it. Additionally knitting without boundaries a la Valentina Devine is another wonderful approach to taking things to new heights.

My own book is coming along and has been picked up by a publisher so I am really excited about that and am anticipating completion soon.

Having a forum to discuss this wonderfully creative aspect of knitting and crocheting would be great!

Janice Rosema
Go to Top of Page

judye
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile Send judye a Private Message
To KrazyKim,

You were right on the ball, KK, it was Sylvia Cosh and I have two of her books somewhere in my apartment. I saw the freeform caplet on the site you mentioned. Awesome!!!

I registered to join, hope I can.

Sylvia Cosh was amazing. So sophisticated. I am always looking for transformations from cloth garments to crochet, as well as knitted creations, that goe beyond what you normally see in the craft stores. Some of the magazines are getting there, but give me more like Sylvia Cosh. What a shame she is no longer here.

Your comments were very ineresting.

Judy
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  10:32:29 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Another week later, and I thought I'd give you an update; STILL no word from Clara on whether we'll ever get a freeform topic or whatever you call it. I have tried everything except maybe writing to her personally. Heavy Sigh...

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  6:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by judye

To KrazyKim,

You were right on the ball, KK, it was Sylvia Cosh and I have two of her books somewhere in my apartment. I saw the freeform caplet on the site you mentioned. Awesome!!!

I registered to join, hope I can.

Sylvia Cosh was amazing. So sophisticated. I am always looking for transformations from cloth garments to crochet, as well as knitted creations, that goe beyond what you normally see in the craft stores. Some of the magazines are getting there, but give me more like Sylvia Cosh. What a shame she is no longer here.

Your comments were very ineresting.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  04:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
I am finally getting back to doing another Freeform project. I am going to take a denim vest and add Freeform sleeves.

I'm going to Stitches Midwest next week and am taking 2 days of classes with Creative Knitter Valentina Devine. I can't wait! Will let you know later how it went.

Chelle www.hangingbyathinthread.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Janice Rosema
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  09:29:29 AM  Show Profile Send Janice Rosema a Private Message
Glad to see there is still discussion concerning freeform knitting/crochet. The idea of doing a set of sleeves for a denim jacket is really cool. Do you remember the sweater a la Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter movie? Those were wonderfully wild and very colorful. If you take a scrumbling approach you have even more possibilities. Since you are taking a workshop with Valentina Devine soon you can even incorporate some of her techniques into your sleeves. Can't wait to see the finished product! Janice Rosema
Go to Top of Page

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  2:00:05 PM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message
I'm starting my first freeform project this weekend!

Wish me luck. I am very excited about it!

I sent Clara a message asking if it would be possible to get a freeform crochet topic, so maybe she will make one for us.
Go to Top of Page

spielerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  02:50:14 AM  Show Profile Send spielerd a Private Message
Just saw this. Am reminded that I want to start this. I have one of those plastic purse forms for free form "attachment" work. It's curvy shaped around the bottom corners. I think I'll get out all my bits of ends of yarns and just start playing this weekend to see what I can come up with.

Debby
Go to Top of Page

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  10:49:41 AM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message
I started my freeform over the Labor Day weekend, and it's so fun and beautiful! I feel like I need to put a yellow submarine on it somwhere though![:00] I sorted my yarns by color families, and I was amazaed at the variety of leftovers I had. I got about 8x10" done--it will be a scarf for my husband and myself.
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  3:57:45 PM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Good to hear more people are experimenting with freeform knitting and crochet. There is every indication on the fashion runways and in the new Vogue Knitting that this is a future trend. So, enjoy! I just got back from a trade show in Phoenix, AZ and had a very good response to my freeform work. I am currently designing for Ozark Handspun and using many of their yarns and other products in my work. So, enjoy the adventure! Janice Rosema
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  5:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Anne,

Do you have a blog or website? Can you post a photo? If you're on Ravelry, we have a Freeform group. Chelle
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Chelle, how is your denim jacket coming along? Also, are you still experimenting with what you learned from Valentina? I applied for Ravelry but still am waiting. How exciting that they have a freeform category. I can't wait! There are some new photos and patterns of my work on the Ozark Handspun site (under news). Keep on freeforming! Janice
Go to Top of Page

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  12:07:04 PM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message
No, I don't even have a computer. I use my computer at work. I can scan it, but the colors don't really come out very well. How do I post a photo without a URL--I'd be glad to try! I'll have to apply to Ravelry also!
Go to Top of Page

swspinny
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  2:36:36 PM  Show Profile Send swspinny a Private Message
This site has the most amazing freeform crochet hats...
http://www.anacam.com/hats/
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  10:01:48 AM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
There are so many approaches to freeform, some are pretty-pretty, some avant-garde and some unusual and sometimes difficult to appreciate. They all have a place in the spectrum of expression. That is what makes it so much fun. The knitter/crocheter can go as far as inspired to or just add a touch of freeform to a more conventional knitted or crocheted item. Your imagination is really your only limitation. Happy freeforming! Janice
Go to Top of Page

Wheat
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  11:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wheat's Homepage Send Wheat a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by janicerosema@hotmail.com

There are so many approaches to freeform, some are pretty-pretty, some avant-garde and some unusual and sometimes difficult to appreciate. They all have a place in the spectrum of expression. That is what makes it so much fun. The knitter/crocheter can go as far as inspired to or just add a touch of freeform to a more conventional knitted or crocheted item. Your imagination is really your only limitation. Happy freeforming! Janice

You are so right - I was lucky enough to be part of the old Compuserve Crafts forum when James was a part of the forum and then to take a class with him when he visited.

Just this past week, I *finally* completed my collection of Sylvia & James books/leaflets. (Bless my favorite neice and her diligent addiction to eBay)

Then I heard from Jenny Dowde, http://www.jennydowde.com that not only should my copy of her new book be here by my birthday or at least by Christmas, but that she is finally able to come visit the US and has started the planning

It will be great to finally meet her "face to face" after to many years of only knowing each other by email.

Between her books and the Cosh/Walters "collection" I have never really felt the need for any other instruction

I think what fascinates me most is while being rather avante gard, Sylvia & James & Jenny's work is so almost classic and timeless.

Just lots of yarn to, as Jenny has always said, "Talk for a Walk"
and time to do so

Wheat

Blog: Wheat Wrote WHAT? http://www.wheatcarr.com/
Wandering: http://www.orlandoneedleworkshow.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page