Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 Used LK150
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ksharp99
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  06:05:17 AM  Show Profile Send ksharp99 a Private Message
Hi,

I'm new to the list. I've recently taken my knitting habit back up again, and have been considering the purchase of a Silver Reed LK 150. Can anyone share their thoughts on the machine? Do you know of any good sources of used machines? I've been watching ebay :-).

Thanks!
Kim

HopkinGreen
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  4:38:33 PM  Show Profile Send HopkinGreen a Private Message
Hi there!

I'm using an LK150 right now - this very minute. They're great machines, reasonably priced and they work amazingly well (at least it has for me.)

I did a wonderful plated scarf for my dad with it. The carriage allows you to feed two yarns at once, so I was able to have one side as 100% wool and the other side as a wool-acrylic blend. Since it was all in stockinet, it was really curly - 'till I felted it. The 100% wool side turned into a warm fleece, while the wool acrylic blend retained stitch definition. By the time I washed and dried it, it looked like something produced professionally. It has a little crochet border to help with curl (though I suspect it didn't need it), so it had just a touch of homemade quality to make it cozy, but it was a fantastic project. I was so proud of it. That was my first LK150 project.

Now, I'm making afghans for the kids. I remembered fondly when my aunts and grandma would make me afghans as a kid. But afghans are VERY time consuming. At first I was crocheting them in a charming ripple stitch. It was gorgeous, but at the rate I was going, I wouldn't have the afghans done 'till the kids (who are now in grade school) went off for college. The other day, I ran through 18 oz of yarn and completed a huge panel for one of the kid's afghans. Since it's variegated yarn, it made a beautiful self-striping pattern that is very different from the ripple stitch I was using. (I'm making the ripple stitch ones into scarves for the kids.) In any case, I can't be more pleased!

I bought my LK 150 new from a store in Dublin California. It's called "That Yarn Store". They have a great staff and teach classes. I don't know where you are located, but I'm sure they could help you locate a LK150. You might even be able to order one from them directly.

http://www.knitmke.com/

Good luck and happy knitting!

Elise
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by