Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 KNITTERS REVIEW MASCOT???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  8:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
How about a simple scarf with those star shaped sequins sewn or knitted on? Could be quick and easy! And a little sparkle never hurt anyone!!!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  11:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
Really really like that last idea, Alissa! Perfect!

Theresa
http://bagatell.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  10:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Well well well... I've been sitting at the sidelines with great pleasure watching all these great ideas arrive.

Because of the huge diversity we have in the forums -- and in our readership in general -- I'm inclined to favor the mini-scarf-as-pin idea. It can be as simple or as complex as you want. It can use any yarn, any pattern, any color, any technique... as long as you loop it and secure it with a pin. If you're particularly fond of your stars, by all means incorporate them into the design.

The reason I'm inching away from the knitted star idea is twofold. First, knowing my luck, my knitted star would look more like a sick amoeba. And I can imagine some beginners would be put off by the challenge. But second, somehow suggesting that people identify themselves with stars on their clothing reminds me a little bit too much of World War II. I know we're operating with totally different intentions, but the icon just makes me nervous.

So back to the simple scarf idea... I agree that it'd be potentially unusual enough in itself that we wouldn't need to force people into a specific color or style. And if you go up to someone, ask about the pin, and it turns out s/he isn't a Knitter's Review person, well, you can always recruit 'em!

The design would be simple: You can knit it vertically (casting on enough stitches for the entire five-inch length of the pin, then knitting as many rows as will constitute an inch) or horizontally, casting on only enough for the width, then knitting until you've reached your five inches. The interesting benefit to vertical knitting is that you can use a new strand for each row, letting the extra yarn hang over the edge, forming easy fringe.

As for the pin, you can use anything you want. OR... you could eventually buy a handmade silver forum pin from the Knitter's Review boutique. Just something to think about!

Obviously I'd like to make sure everyone feels good about this. So.... your thoughts?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

kdemoure
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  10:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdemoure's Homepage Send kdemoure a Private Message
Clara,
I think this is a wonderful allround compromise. This is something that everyone can make from their stash in a short amount of time. Although the star idea is lovely, I agree that there might be a few people that might have trouble with the pattern. The scarf is something that anyone could make. A suggested base color might be a good idea, but, I don't know if that's really necessary either.

Katherine DeMoure
http://www.summerwings.com
S/V Summerwings
San Rafael, California
Go to Top of Page

busyknitter
New Pal

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  10:41:42 AM  Show Profile Send busyknitter a Private Message
I think the scarf idea is great. But I am really bad at visualising objects from a description (like really, really bad). I would be so grateful if anyone who makes a acarf pin is able to post a picture of it and put the link up on the forum.

Then I will be able to make one.
thanks
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  12:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
OOOOOOOOOO

>As for the pin, you can use anything you want. OR... you could eventually buy a handmade silver forum pin from the Knitter's Review boutique. Just something to think about!>

I want mine now! Designed by Clara herself.

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  1:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
oooooh kewoool - I'm going to make mine out of some fun yarn that i have at home. When i get it finished, I'll scan it and put it on my website or I'll email it to Clara.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  2:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I know just the yarn I'll use!!! And if I ever figure out how to get the pictures out of my digital camera and into my computer (apparantly blinking really hard is NOT the secret) I'll post my scarf so all can see!

Also, we can make lots of little scarves as color-coordinated accessories! Think how stylish we'll all be!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  9:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
We could always start a photo gallery of pictures. Knit your scarf, post the pattern if you don't mind sharing and send a picture! (face not required but fun) When will we be seeing the boutique Clara?

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  11:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Okay, so I'll be the one wearing a Knit-Out T-shirt, long curly red hair AND a scarf pin at the MDS+WF (see the thread about the festival...)!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
LOL - Should I have sensed a fellow red-head?

I'll be the one with long wavy red hair, and my little scarf!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  6:30:12 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hold on a minute here! What scarf? What pin? Hey, where'd everybody go?

I must be missing some (how about 4 pages worth?) pretty important stuff here because I'll be darned if I want to show up at Stitches East and not have any of my fellow Knitter's Review pals not recognize me.

Clueless in PA, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  10:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Oh, Amie, I'm not surprised at ALL that you're a redhead!! We're just terribly.....special....people, aren't we?

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  12:07:14 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
A little faded from lack of sunshine but still a redhead, well maybe a little more auburn than red. A little grey mixed in but not very much. Strange how we always find each other.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  4:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
LOL Mine's dark red/auburn, mid-back length, and depending on the weather very wavy to straight (and there's a heck of a lot of it!)

As one of Irish/Scottish/Italian descent, my fiance learned a special mantra very early on:

Don't p*** off the redhead.

I personally think I'm very easy to get along with. But that mantra isn't a bad idea....

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  5:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
ahhhh red heads... I was always a secret red head... My hair used to be black. Before kids and grey. But last year my darling sister-in-law commented that with my long black hair and all those grey I could go as the Wicked Witch of The West for halloween without a costume. I showed her, I dyed it! RED! WOOHOO! Her answer to my telling her I had dyed it over the phone was "Red, I don't think I will like red!" Really... I decided she was unbalanced and continued to do what I like, which is dark Auburn red!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  8:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
We am all so TOTALLY cool!!! So, I guess we'll convene the KRF Redheads Convention at Maryland Sheep and Wool??? I'll volunteer to be the "meeting point", since I already know what I'll be wearing - a purple "Knit-Out & Crochet, Too! T-shirt. Just accost me and introduce yourselves!!

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2002 :  11:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I like it and I don't even have red hair! I do have redheads here and there in the family. Mine used to be chesnut brown, but has lightened and added some gray since we moved to the southwest! It used to get faded to reddish in the sunshine in Fla. and Ga. My dd's best friend is a red-head and so is her brother, so I know about redheads. I was wishing for a red-head daughter, and got one with reddish brown hair, close enough. Got to go make my little scarf! Barb

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2002 :  7:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
..And for those of you with other colors of hair, I'll be selling certified Knitter's Review Readhead wigs just outside the festival entrance!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  06:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
No fair stealing all the profits, Clara - I was gonna stand at the gate with hair dye.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?