Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 KNITTERS REVIEW MASCOT???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

midddeb
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile Send midddeb a Private Message
Some thoughts:
A yarn basket with needles

A mini-sweater

A mini-mitten

A mini-swatch of yarn from a current WIP (great converstation starter!). Use various stitches for interest. Add embellishments...

A silver pin with needles and yarn:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/nakedsheep/pinsilknit.html

A pattern for a knitted ribbon:
http://www.knitcrochetpatterns.com/pin.html

A pattern for a sock pin:
http://www.knitlist.com/01gift/showcolorssockpattern.htm

How about a mini ball of yarn with homemade needles stuck in it (similar to the artwork on this page: http://www.over-the-moon.net/ENews/WhatsNew)

Some interesting pins here (including a llama!):
http://www.iseespots.com/iseespots/shop/jewelry.html

Some cute sheep pins here:
http://www.shepherdsjournal.com/mall/jewelry.asp

Go to Top of Page

eliza
New Pal

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  08:23:43 AM  Show Profile Send eliza a Private Message

I think the idea of a symbol is great. To me the best spinner,weaver, knitter of all is the spider with her fine lace webs she captures everyones attention. Athena the Greek godess is known for her use of spun fiber.

Go to Top of Page

JanetK
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send JanetK a Private Message
I love the idea of a knitted mascot. The scarf sounds great, fast and easy. I am sure I could even try one with toothpicks to show my usual 3/4's finished state.

Janet
Go to Top of Page

KanDeeLee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  09:12:52 AM  Show Profile Send KanDeeLee a Private Message
The visual that would distinguish us is in our name: Knitters Forum, where the word "forum" can conjer up visions of a Greek pillar, with ornaite or simple top and bottom caps that could contain our name, while the pillar could contain crossed knitting needles. I see this as a standardized pin or as a larger knitted clip on. On a lighter side but keeping with the Greek theme: We could all wear togas!

Go to Top of Page

kicher
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  3:24:46 PM  Show Profile Send kicher a Private Message
All the ideas sound great. We might try knitting computer screen & keyboard. Attached to a safety pin. Wouldn't be hard and a beginner could do it easy.
the knit knut

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I like the idea of the spider - nature's knitter (although, I must say modestly I still like the scarf best) but I imagine it's a bit much to have us all walking around with spiders on our shoulders!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  3:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I like the spider too and of course i like the forum idea. This would not do for a pin but do check out the spider in Barbara Walker's 3rd treasury of knitting. It is way cool.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  4:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Oh Middeb! You are an evil person! I have a collection of sheep and fiber related pins, however did I miss these? There goes my yarnshop splurge account (yes, I really do stash money away for guiltfree knit trips). I thought we were friends.

Thanks for the links, I know I am going to be poorer when I finish!

Alissa

Edited by - Alissa on 03/08/2002 16:41:45
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  9:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
Is anyone going to the TKGA convention in Rosemont, IL next weekend??? I"m just wondering because I would love to have something to wear to show that I'm a forum member. I'm sure there will be some of you there, I hope.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I still like my idea of a 1" diameter ball of yarn in your favorite colorway as a simple pin. No one else will have one, unlike the ones you can buy in quantity....

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  10:18:56 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Erica,

I'm going to the TKGA convention but only for the fiber/yarn market. I decided to skip the classes since most of them cost a fortune and I'd rather spend that money on yarn & supplies :-)

What day are you going? I was thinking of maybe Friday night or Saturday afternoon. I could possibly do Thursday afternoon since I'm only working a 1/2 day (dentist appt.)

IM me or e-mail me: sopranokris@hotmail.com

If anyone else wants to meet up let's all set a time to go to the convention together.

Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  02:38:58 AM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
How about one of those easy doubleknit teddy bears?

Go to Top of Page

munderliz
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  06:27:53 AM  Show Profile Send munderliz a Private Message
Good Morning Everyone:This is my first time speaking up in the forum. I love the idea of an identifying "thing". I made the swatches on toothpicks pins last year. They are adorable, but I don't think they're unique enough. My first idea was mentioned already..... a little scarf. We could make stripes or zig zags on the ends. I like the idea of a tiny ball of yarn, also. Liz M
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  09:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, everyone! It is so good to get on the internet again! Our computer has been ofline all week, because the phone co. disconnected our ISDN line by mistake. They still didn't get it connected, but we had a modem, so we reconnected it to our regular phone line. I really like the scarf idea. That would be so easy for anyone to do. My DD just made a Barbie scarf, fuzzy pink, of course, last night. I like the toothpick idea, too, but maybe it is too common. I like Elizabeth's star idea, too, maybe we could mix the star and scarf, little stars on a scarf? How about purple with gold stars?? Sounds like royalty! I like the idea of stripes on the scarf, too, reminds me of Dr. Who. Does anyone remember him? The little ball of yarn sounds cute, too. Maybe we could use a little sheep or llama pin to hold the scarf on? I would love to go to the thing in Illinois, but, alas, I can't get there right now, from out here in the high desert! Barb

Edited by - schoolmama on 03/09/2002 09:29:54
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  5:07:49 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
How about a contest to design an identifying pin? Clara could pick out 6 or so of the best ones and then we could vote on them? I don't know if I have any ideas for one or not, but I could certainly vote.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  9:21:12 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Fran,

I like that idea!

Re above postings, I have been meaning to send Clara a photo of my five-pointed stars (which are easy and fast, though sometimes a bit wobbly), but haven't managed to snag the digital camera from work (yet). I tried to knit some of the stars in metallic gold embroidery floss on size 4's, but it was unfun--tight stiches and fraying. Knit-cro-sheen (?) worked better, but it is not very golden...sort of white and gold...

They looked great out of Classic Elite's Wildflowers (a rather thick multi-strand novelty yarn comprised of mohair, chenille, & bric-brac) - I attached them to Christmas presents with ends dangling so that they could be hung as ornaments.

Go to Top of Page

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
I too like the idea of a little scarf made into a pin. How about knitting a spiral then looping it as a scarf pin? Even for beginner knitters, a small spiral is do-able and would be a great way to practice a new skill. I'm tempted to play with it some to see if I can make one that is easy. Or how about a spiral knit with toothpicks which are left in, and mounted on a star? Just got a computer blue screen - don't know if this will post. ARGH

Go to Top of Page

Joy Oppenheimer
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile Send Joy Oppenheimer a Private Message
Many of these ideas are terrific! Why not combine several of them: Have a little "ribbon" swatch knitted up by individuals in colors selected by the group AND held onto our clothes by a cat pin of our choosing? The combination can still be individual but those of us "in the know" will know each other at shows.
Joy
Go to Top of Page

busyknitter
New Pal

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  1:53:24 PM  Show Profile Send busyknitter a Private Message
I think this is a great idea, though I am unlikely ever to get to an event. Before we all get carried away, can I make a practical suggestion. Whatever the final choice is, it shoulgd be fairly simple to make with easy to access materials, so as not to intimidate inexperienced knitters.

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  5:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Fran, once again you're a genius. If Clara'd be willing to go through ALL of those ideas and pick 6 (or 4, or 3), which we'd vote on, then we'd know that the majority agreed. I plan to go to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival in May, so let's make sure we decide/vote before then!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.57 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?