Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 KNITTERS REVIEW MASCOT???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  5:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
socknitters.com uses a purple sock (with white toes and heels) to recognize each other at events... I just saw a show today about an online quilting group that uses pink flamingos as their mascot...

do you think Knitters Review should have a mascot? Some symbol, animal, something that when we're out and about identifies us as members of knitters review? I wonder if we've run into each other at the grocery store and not even know it!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  8:08:52 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
OOOOH! Yeah. Like people who know Esperanto wear badges (bearing a little green star?) so that they can identify each other while travelling. We could have a secret something...like the Masons... I LIKE IT.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  8:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
What a great idea! Maybe Clara has a preference? Maybe we should knit little smilie faces and turn them into pins?

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  04:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
or stars? And everybody who proves they knitted their star could get an extra star under their name? hehehe

Theresa
http://bagatell.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  10:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hey that's a good idea! And we could have a backup secret handshake to weed out any impostors.

So far we have smiley faces and stars as suggestions. Let's do a bit more brainstorming and then decide on a mascot. (We already have a cat-in-chief, but he'd be pretty hard to knit...)

You guys are so great!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  11:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I don't like smiley faces which, I realize, is a very personal reaction, but I adore the idea of a mascot. I also like the idea of a pin or badge I could knit. Stars upon 'ars a la Dr. seuss's sneetches is a fun idea. Maybe a little knitted roman forum motif. A styliazed version of it is visible on this site:

http://ancient-coin-forum.com/

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  11:56:14 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I've got a great five-pointed star pattern from EZ's Alamanc. I'm already knitting them (in mettalic gold) as presents for my students...

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  1:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Bess - no problem with a personal reaction! You may be right. Unless you used super-fine yarn, the smiley face could look a bit lumpy and in need of orthodontics. I'll check out the forum motif, too.

Elizabeth - do you have any pictures of your stars? I'd love to see one! Perhaps we could work out a curious hybrid.

Other ideas anyone?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  2:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Well, the quilting guild I saw used pink flamingos, but it wasn't neccessarily a quilted one, so I don't think we need to feel obligated to do something everyone can knit (since that could limit us for the new knitters, of which I number myself)

And while I love the idea of cats, they're so common I don't know that it would deliniate us, and also, while I feel that calicos are far superior, there might be some of you who disagree (you'd be wrong, of course, but you still might disagree)

Sheep, maybe? Llamas? Or maybe someone can design a pin or something based on knitting needles and yarn....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  2:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
How about a computer screen with yarn coming out of it? LOL

Hmmm...seriously though, how about something that incorporates both knitting and computers/internet since this is an online forum?
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  3:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
This might be considered mocking various political and social causes, and I don't intend it to, but...

What about a tiny scarf - which anyone can knit - looped ala the pink breast cancer, or red AIDS ribbons? We could pick a specific color if we want, or some special identifying characteristics - maybe it only has tassels on one end, or it's horizontally striped... But even the newest knitter can pull off a 6" long scarf (looped it would be a 3" pin) so truly anyone who signs on here can participate....

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Amie, that's a WAY better idea than I came up with! Clara could post a pattern, so we'd all have it!I was thinking that if we each made a tiny ball of our favorite yarn, sprayed it with fixative and glued a pin (like for a brooch) on it, we'd all recongnise each other, but every pin would be different. I'm thinking an inch in diameter, or so...

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  4:37:04 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
The ladies at our LYS had on pins back at Christmas time that a former employee had made each of them. They were tiny knitting needles (toothpicks with seed beads on the ends) with a tiny swatch on them, some on each needle, and a pin back attached. They were totally cute. I never did find out whether she used the toothpick to knit them or just really skinny needles!

chris (that's 50!!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  7:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Hmmm, you all have done alot of brainstorming while I was off goofing around this weekend.

I like the idea of the star, maybe we could come up with a way to leave those toothpick knitting needles in them?

I have a sweater ornament made by a friend that has the same idea. She knitted it on worsted and appropriate sized needles then stuck the toothpick needles in at the end to look like it was being knitted. Very cute!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hmmm. To incorporate computers and yarn, how about if each of us gets one of those Radio Flyer red wagons, puts our computer in it, and then dumps a bunch of yarn and our current projects in it, and just pulls it around wherever we go?

Wouldn't that be a funny sight!

OK, so we have several factors to try and integrate:

- Different experience levels
- Different color/yarn preferences
- Different fiber-related passions (dyeing, spinning, and knitting are the top three)
- Different financial situations (i.e. a $230 custom-crafted pewter pin might not be a hit with everyone)

Are you all committed to this being something each person makes his/herself, or is there room to have something pre-made that you can then customize? Obviously I'd try to keep the costs as low as possible. Just a thought.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  2:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I already have a Red Flyer with all my yarn and WsIP... hadn't thought to add the computer tho'

Maybe that should be a poll next week - Knitter's Review Mascot: homemade or not?

I really like the idea of making my own - if we do something knit, but I'd rather not have to purchase spray glue and other trappings I'm going to use once (let me spend the money on yarn!!!). Of course, I just ran down my knitting list to Alissa, and it might be 6 or 7 years before I'm ready to take on a new project! If we go with the little scarf/ribbons, we've all got that in scrap anyway, but more than that, and I'd say if someone can mass-produce them it might be best!

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  3:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
This sounds like a GREAT idea!! I think the little scarves in the loop sounds really cool. You could do that so quickly! If we all cast on enough stitches for five inches and then knit four rows all in different colors - and the end strands can be our tassles?
I'm just trying to think of something that could be cute.
I would love to meet some of you at the TKGA convention if you're going to be here.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  6:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I hadn't even thought of making the scarf sideways! I guess at that size it makes sense, and it sure makes the tassels easy!

I like the scarf-loop because we've already all got the materials, and it's quick and cheap, but it's very individual (we could even make different scarves to match different sweaters), but does it involve the dye/spin aspect well enough for those interested in that? I suppose you could use yarn you've dyed/spun yourself...

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  8:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Rose,
Don't wait to start your scarf until you have finished all those projects. You will have 5 stars by then

I couldn't even begin to list all the project I have got waiting to BE started let alone the ones that are started and abandoned. Then there are the things I carry around everywhere. Someone was trying to be funny at christmas and bought me a bag with wheels. I love it!!! So does my back.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  05:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
I really like the scarf idea... could be super easy or more difficult (I'm thinking little intarsia gold stars on each end..?), different colors and yarns to suit everyone... or, oh wait, it needed to be a specific color or pattern to be more identifying? I like Clara's idea of a secret handshake. Or perhaps just some code words? like "how many stars ya got?" Preferably uttered in a stage whisper out of the corner of the mouth, behind a potted plant... oh, this is fun.

Theresa
http://bagatell.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kdemoure
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdemoure's Homepage Send kdemoure a Private Message
Hello all. I'm new here. I really like the idea of the scarf. I suspect that it would be easy enough to recognize the symbol in spite of all the variations in yarn and pattern. I knit a small swatch of yarn on toothpicks a couple of years ago leaving the toothpicks in the knitting. This was knit with the yarn left over from a pair of socks that I'd knit as a gift. I sent the pin along as an additional gift. Apparantly it was a bit hit. If wanted, it would be easy enough to leave the toothpicks in the scarf or to add them after we're through knitting it to appear as if it's still being knit.

Katherine DeMoure
http://www.summerwings.com
S/V Summerwings
San Rafael, California
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000