Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Cruise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  6:52:52 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I can't speak for all the Aussies and Kiwis but I think if a cruise is chosen that sails to and from somewhere in the US - it is going to put the whole idea out of financial reach for at least some of us. Apart from the cost of the cruise we have to ad around $2,500 to the cost for the return plane ticket.

But I am sure you girls will all have a fabulous time.

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  9:07:09 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

I can't speak for all the Aussies and Kiwis but I think if a cruise is chosen that sails to and from somewhere in the US - it is going to put the whole idea out of financial reach for at least some of us. Apart from the cost of the cruise we have to ad around $2,500 to the cost for the return plane ticket.

But I am sure you girls will all have a fabulous time.

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground

Oh No!!!! We could take a cruise maybe around one of the Pacific Islands!!! Would that work???? I don't want to go if my friends down under are left out of the trip!!!!! But I thought all people from Oz were rich?????

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  08:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hiya,

I've been following this thread with extreme enthusiasm - the idea of a knitting cruise sounds like complete paradise! I agree that choosing a location is probably the most difficult decision we'll have to make. To help in the decision process, I've put together an online poll (like the weekly KR polls) with the top contenders from this thread.

Please take a moment to vote, and then we can all see how things pan out. If I didn't include a destination you'd really, really like to be considered, let me know.

http://www.knittersreview.com/article_poll.asp?article=/poll/030827_a.asp

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  12:12:06 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Clara, It would be great to have both a first and second choice if that is possible.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
That's where my technology breaks down. I can have it be a "choose only two" option (trusting that people will be honest and only vote for two - it won't restrict you) but it won't show first and second choice, just how many votes each destination gets. Hmpf...

Clara
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  3:32:10 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
Hee hee - gotta hate it when technoology is smarter than you.

I was thinking about the point the Jacqueline raised about cost adn getting to/from departure ports. She raises a valid point, but one could just as easily flip it around...how much would it cost me to get to/from Australia?? So I wondered about a possible Hawaii take off/finish point as a nice compromise.. but then realized that leaves our UK friends out. When you think about it, the most central point would be to hook up in Chicago and take a jaunt on Lake Erie(?). :) Location is definitely a problem. But for all of that, I think I would invest in transportation for a cruise in a wonderful part of the world like Greece or the Pacific.

Before I joined the boards, I scoped out Cunards Around the World cruise - prompted by an article on the fairwell Atlantic voyage of the QEII. If you were to do it in style, the 'penthouse' cabin as it were, it would be about US$500,000 for double occupancy. And as I recall, that doesnt include internet services, laundry services, or anything you do while you're on land.

Just thought I'd share. I am confident we can find something cheaper ;)

Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  3:56:09 PM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
Clara, I voted, with some hesitation, for Alaska. For a lot of people, school schedules point toward a summer cruise, which is the perfect (or only) time for Alaska. Of course, this favors people in North America, to the exclusion of many other dear friends! My second choice would be the Caribbean, in the wintertime. Alas, those poor deprived people who live in California year-round can never experience the meltdown of pure pleasure from a week of sun and warmth in January while your friends are all shoveling and shivering!

Frankly, I don't have any idea what cruise options are available from Australia or the UK. Since these are places I'd really like to visit, I personally would be open to pay the extra travel cost to get there. But you may have to make a decision based on where the majority of your members live.

In my opinion, we should go for a 7-day cruise. Since this usually involves a weekend departure/return, it fits well into most people's schedule. And the cruise experience is so delightful, anything less is simply too tantalizing. Nobody would be ready to leave - there would be a horrible, embarassing scene with the crew forced to push the tearful knitters down the gangway with our own pointed needles!

Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  4:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I just took the poll and saw where the majority wants to go. Alaska was nice but I wouldn't really want to go there again. The weather isn't very predictable either. We went in August, the day we cruised the glaciers it rained the entire time, now I was out on deck all day with my husband and boys but I could count on my fingers and toes how many people actually ventured out at some point to view the calving of the glaciers. It's a good cruise for retiree age cruisers, they represented the majority, boy, they were hot during bingo time but they mostly remained indoors. I believe part of cruising is getting out on the deck and smelling the salty air.

I really enjoyed the Caribbean cruise, snorkling, sting rays, sun, sand but then I was born a California girl so this is to be expected. The decks were always full of music, people, and laughter.

I am a Norwegian Cruise Line lover. They were wonderful and I highly recommend them. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaN
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  4:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaN's Homepage Send ChristinaN a Private Message
Thanks for setting up the Poll Clara. What a great idea. How long do you plan on letting people vote?

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  5:46:04 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
There are short cruises from San Francisco to Mexico. Could be a start and then venture on to something like sailing from Florida through the Panama Canal to San Francisco. I know people who have done that. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  6:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

There are short cruises from San Francisco to Mexico. Could be a start and then venture on to something like sailing from Florida through the Panama Canal to San Francisco. I know people who have done that. Take care. Beverley
Bev

Now that (SF to Mexico and back) would be perfect for me! Though I have always wanted to go on the Alaskan cruise, this alternative would be likely more cost effective (most cruises are in USD and I am always mindful of the exchange! )

I would love to visit the UK and Hawaii too, but major trips are really out for me. Hubby can't come with and the cost to have someone stay with him, well...

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

-- Marg in Calgary, Alberta

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  7:06:23 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I also throw in my $.02 (US ;) for warm over cold ...

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I'll keep the poll open until we get a reasonable sampling of responses - perhaps a few weeks?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  07:56:23 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

I also throw in my $.02 (US ;) for warm over cold ...

Me Too!!! The tropics for me!!! We could cruise around the Hawaiin Islands! Warm/beautiful scenery/laid back/knitting friends...what more could anyone ask for in life!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  11:46:23 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I want to change my vote! Would it be any easier for our Down Under buddies if we do Hawaii? Wouldn't that be glorious? And while it's not knitting, I would love to see some Hawaiian quilts.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

I want to change my vote! Would it be any easier for our Down Under buddies if we do Hawaii? Wouldn't that be glorious? And while it's not knitting, I would love to see some Hawaiian quilts.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau

When I was in Kauai in July, I went to a shop that was selling Hawaiin Quilts. They are awesome. I wanted to bring them all home w/ me. Unfortunately I was only able to buy one pillow. They are very expensive...though I'm sure worth every penny. Mine is of a Sea Turtle! I chose that one because just that morning while snorkeling I literally ran head long into one. They are truly awesome creatures and so mild mannered! Many live along the coast of Kauai. Wonderful. I want to go back to Hawaii!!!!!! Lets go there guys and our friends down under can join us!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  1:11:45 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
hmmm.. I am beginning to think that the cruise idea might just morph into having the next retreat in Hawaii somewhere. I have never been there so I would definitely make room in my budget to go!

Go to Top of Page

Colleeneo@earthlink.net

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  2:43:59 PM  Show Profile Send Colleeneo@earthlink.net a Private Message
I would love to go on a cruise to Alaska! I do know of "scrapbook" cruises, so why not knitting? The Royal Caribbean has a 3-4 day (a weekend) cruise to Mexico from the West coast for scrapbookers that's fairly inexpensive $300-400-ish. That might be a place to start, Clara. They also do Caribbean scrapbook cruises out of the east coast. You need a lot less rooom for knitting supplies than you do for scrapbooking!
Go to Top of Page

ediebeck@embarqmail.com
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  2:44:25 PM  Show Profile Send ediebeck@embarqmail.com a Private Message
At manning's Knit-Out on Sat. a friend told me about the cruise she is going on the end of Oct./ beginning of Nov. Leaves from Rome...10 days/2 weeks, (Can't remember) Lily Chin will be the onboard instructor and it is on Holland American's newest ship, the Osterdam. I can contact her if anyone else is interested in going.

Edie, the Knitophomanic
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  3:49:28 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
It Looks like both Colleeno and Edie are both newcommers to the forum!! So I want to take this time and welcome you both. You are going to love it here! Please take the time, if you want to not required, to go to introduce yourself and write a short bio in re: how long you've been knitting...favorite project...etc. It lets us get to know you and allows you to get to know us! The people make this forum awesome. I have never run into a nicer bunch of people in my life! They are supportive in more than just my knitting world. I couldn't make it right now if they weren't a part of my life. So welcome you two to the best place in town for a knitter to meet other knitters!!!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.