Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 increasing and decreasing matching
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luckygrrl
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  8:18:46 PM  Show Profile Send luckygrrl a Private Message
Hi,
I'm knitting along on a sweater that just calls for increasing and decreasing, without telling the method. I know how to do a couple of different types of both (i.e., M1 and Knit in front and back for increase and Slip Slip Knit2together and K2tog for decrease), and I know that it's probably not correct to just use the same method for increasing on both sides of the sweater (because I started doing it that way, by just increasing and decreasing both sides using the same methods, but now my sweater is lopsided and horribe!) I'm a fairly new knitter, and this is the first time I've run into a pattern that doesn't specify which types to use. Please help me! I'm afraid I'm going to have to frog almost the entire back and I'm so annoyed!

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  8:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Hi,
K2tog is a Right leaning decrease and SSK is a left leaning decrease. It depends on what kind of look you want and is a matter of personal preference. Your previous patterns have just expressed their own opinions. I would suggest that you make a swatch and try with K2tog on the left edge and SSK on the right edge. If you like the way that looks, go for it. If not, work another swatch and try reversing the positions.

There are many types of increases but unless they leave a hole or a purl bump on the front of a sweater then it shouldn't matter which type you use. You did not say what the fabric of the sweater looks like. Is it in pattern stitches? Is it stockinette stitch? (Knit on the right side, purl on the wrong side?) Is it garter stitch? (knit every st on every row)

Another helpful hint is to work the decrease or increase at least one stitch away from the edge. ie: k1, SSK, knit to last 3 sts, K2tog, k1. The reason for this is to give you a selvege stitch to sew or pick up into. You can do this on most any pattern even if it doesn't specify to do so.

Hope this helps,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

luckygrrl
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  8:44:34 PM  Show Profile Send luckygrrl a Private Message
Thank you for the clarification! I believe that that's the way that I've done it before, just couldn't for the life of me get it straight in my head! I'm working in stockinette stitch, in Rowan Chunky Chenille (Cotton). I'm a bit afraid to rip out and re-knit the chenille, though...hmmm...wondering if it will be worse off for it. Anyway, thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  8:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
If it hasn't been knitted for months it should be ok! Is the yarn washable? If it is you can reskein it and wet it down. (be sure to tie it in many different places first so it doesn't tangle) Then you can rewind it. If the chenille is very fuzzy it probably will be just fine left the way you have knitted it. Can you tell where the increases or decreases are?

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

luckygrrl
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  9:17:48 PM  Show Profile Send luckygrrl a Private Message
no, this is not a very fuzzy chenille at all. It *is* nubby looking, but the stitches are very distinct. It is soft without being furry, if that makes sense. So, yes, you can see my (yuck!) mistakes very clearly. in fact, it's not just that the increases and decreases are funny looking, but that the whole thing has ended up with a tilt with the armholes sloping at different angles (sorry, this is kind of hard to explain). I think that I will try to simply rip out and re-knit without washing as I can salvage the bottom ribbed section and a couple of inches above that (before the armhole shaping). This project was only started about a week ago, so it's not like it's been sitting stitched up for a while. In fact, I just bound off the neckline last night.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  9:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
What you said does indeed make sense! I wouldn't bother with wetting the yarn either. Any flattening that has taken place in the short time it has been knitted will probably fluff itself back up as you knit.

The reason your armholes are sloped funny is that you used the same decreases on each side. If you used k2tog then the right side will have a nice firm line along the decreases and the left side will have stair steps. Urgh!

Rip away!!! Laugh while you do it, it may be the only thing that stops you from crying... I ripped the whole back of a sweater last week. I still haven't picked it back up, I am punishing it and finishing other things first

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

luckygrrl
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  9:34:57 PM  Show Profile Send luckygrrl a Private Message
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help, your encouragement, and for letting me know someone else has gone through the same thing! To the frogger I go (laughing all the way)!
p.s. thinking about making a quick hat to relieve the pain. hats are always great because they practically knit themselves in a matter of hours or days, not weeks!

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  9:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
You are most welcome! And you have hit upon the perfect therapy for any pain, knit it! I hope your next attempt has better results.

Keep in mind that you can't make any mistake that someone hasn't done before and the beautiful part about it is all you have to do is remove the needles and pull! Voila! The mistake is gone.

Happy Froggin'

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  03:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I belive Cotton chenille is easier to rip successfully than acrylic. If gently pulled the fur stays on the strand. Good luck with your sweater.

And as for what look like your looming mistakes - take a look at the front of the Spring 2002 Vogue knitting magazine and see how long it takes you to see the error. Speculation is that they were trying to show you that nobody notices your mistakes like you do.

good knitting to you.

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  2:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
My best piece of advice is work your decreases at least 2 stitches in from the edge. Also you can use skpo (slip one stitch, knit one stitch, pass slipped stitch over) in place of ssk if you like. I prefer the look of ssk, but I find some of my students prefer to use skpo.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

VickiSayre
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  08:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit VickiSayre's Homepage Send VickiSayre a Private Message
Ok, so where is the mistake in the Vogue Knitting? I can see some areas that look like they were blocked well, but I can't find the mistake . . . It's driving me crazy now. Please tell me, Bess!

Go to Top of Page

VickiSayre
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit VickiSayre's Homepage Send VickiSayre a Private Message
So I make a mistake in my reply . . . I meant . . . I see some areas that were NOT blocked well.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  10:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
:D Look at the cable on the right, on the model's left.

pretty sweater though

Go to Top of Page

VickiSayre
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit VickiSayre's Homepage Send VickiSayre a Private Message
Thanks! Now it stands out like a sore thumb!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  8:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Isn't that funny? I starred at that Vogue on our check out counter for a week before a customer brought the mistake to my attention! What a place to mis-cross a cable. Don't you know the person who actually made that model is turning themselves inside out every time they see it?

Alissa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?