Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 trimming fuzzies off?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
hello again,
if you felt something (in my case, the Dots bag from Berroco using Ultra Alpaca) and it's a little hairier/fuzzier than you like but you basically like the result, what do you use to get the fuzz off? I've tried:
- gently pulling fuzz off - works but time-consuming and not sure it's so even,
- a clic shaver, electric for "women", which doesn't cut so deeply so I thought it might be ok but it seems to either do nothing or yank the yarn too hard
- scissors
wondering if there's a better way out there to get an even fuzzless result.
by the way, I ended up refelting the bag - what the hey - I now like the new shape better but it seems to be even more fuzzy! oh well - in the close-up photo by berroco, the bag is moderately fuzzy too so I don't think I messed up the felting process (I did make a mistake in the pattern but that's another story and not a problem really )

mucho gracias por any advice

peace, JW
iphotos:http://web.mac.com/suziew96/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message
Try clipping it with hair clippers. No guard, just hold the blade against the bag (not too firmly or it will snag)and cut against the grain. It should trim up nicely.

Robin

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.-- Augusten Burroughs
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
hi Robin,
thanks for your reply - do you have recommendations for any particular brands/types of hair clippers - I don't have one and neither does my partner -
looking in the store and online- there seems to be a wide variety...
i have no idea
thanks in advance

peace, JW
iphotos:http://web.mac.com/suziew96/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I just use a disposable shaver to get rid of fuzz on my felted items. It helps to pull the item taut (hmm . . . I've never really had use for that word before. Had to check my spelling) when shaving it. Then it won't just fold under the pressure of the shaver.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]

Not all Dumbs are Blonde.
Go to Top of Page

agastier@aol.com
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile Send agastier@aol.com a Private Message
I have a pair of Fiskar scissors that spring open (rather than stay closed ) and these work realy well for de-fuzzing. It is quick and gives me good control....Annhope
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  10:43:02 AM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message
I use the pet clippers that you can buy at Wal-Mart. Can't remember the brand but they are in the pet section and they are not very expensive.

Robin

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.-- Augusten Burroughs
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  10:58:26 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
For future reference - Cascade 220 felts up extremely well and is really smooth. I've never had to trim the fuzz off something felted in Cascade 220.
I've found that Lambs Pride fuzzes up a lot and so does Alpaca.

Angela
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?