Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Pot size (or....does size really matter?)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ruthee_fiberfreak
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  10:30:50 AM  Show Profile Send ruthee_fiberfreak a Private Message
I hope to dye skeins of hand-painted yarn and I am attempting to pick out a pot for my needs.

In _Dyeing to Knit_, the author suggest the purchase and/or use of a 20 gallon pot. This sounds absolutely ginormous to me....not to mention completely unmanageable.

Does anyone use a pot this big? Is this overkill for the average at home hobby-dyer?

http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com/

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  11:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message
A large pot would allow larger dyelots of multiple skeins. 20 gallons seems like it could almost produce retail-level dyelots.

I have no idea whether a 5 gallon pot is better than a 1 gallon or even a half gallon for that matter, assuming you're only doing lots of one or two skeins, but am interested to know if there is one.

-C
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  9:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
If you are kettle dyeing you need a pot large enough to accomodate the 25:1 (on average) of water to fiber. So for example 500g of yarn (just over a pound) you multiply the 500 by 25 and get 12.500 liters of water. A 22 qt. (NOT GALLON) pot is about right to hold this with room to spare for the displacement that the yarn will cause when added and leaves room at the top so you don't get boil overs.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  9:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
I have a 100 qt. pot that I can get 4-5 pounds of yarn in but it has to be used on a outside cooker with a propane tank. There is no way a pot this size will even fit on my stove.

Catherine Harrison
Go to Top of Page

ruthee_fiberfreak
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  10:01:00 AM  Show Profile Send ruthee_fiberfreak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yarnmama

I have a 100 qt. pot that I can get 4-5 pounds of yarn in but it has to be used on a outside cooker with a propane tank. There is no way a pot this size will even fit on my stove.

That was our (baby daddy and me) -- that a 20 gallon pot would be too big for a "home" stove and not have even heat.

How unwieldly is the pot you use outside? Hard to drain?

Out of curiousity....do you remember how much you paid for your 100 quart pot?
Go to Top of Page

ruthee_fiberfreak
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  10:05:25 AM  Show Profile Send ruthee_fiberfreak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yarnmama

If you are kettle dyeing
-SNIP-

I am having a hard time deciding what techinique I want to start with first - be it kettle dyeing, hand painting or just dyeing fiber a solid colour.

With kettle dyeing, do I understand this correctly....? The dye is poured on the fiber at the surface and basically sinks down, dyeing the fibers below as well?

Also, I appreciate your calculation help!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  8:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
I got the pot from here http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_cart/stockpots.html (scroll down to the bottom) Fair warning, it's very pricey but a necessity for my business. I would not have gotten this for my personal yarn dyeing only.

I use both techniques, depending on the effect I am going for. I sometimes add the dye to the water and then add the fiber. Other times I add the color to the fiber directly and then add the fiber to the water in the pot. There are also times when I add the colors and wrap the fiber and steam it. It depends on whether or not you want to keep the colors distinct.

I use a siphon hose to drain the water from the pot after it cools some.

Catherine Harrison
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  10:02:40 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
Inside I use a stainless turkey roaster with a domed lid, its good size for me, I use two burners on the stove because it is oval. I can do about 1.5 lbs of wool. Any larger i go outdoors.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
I have been doing some hand painted dyeing recently and I can get 3 lbs. in one batch in my 100 qt. pot using the steam racks my husband made me. I can get three layers high in one load. It works great!

Catherine Harrison
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by