Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet books, Web sites, magazines & resources
 What Mag Subscription for My Grandma?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

txtapdancer
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  9:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit txtapdancer's Homepage Send txtapdancer a Private Message
My grandmother is 95 and loves to crochet. She lives in nursing home and doesn't have a lot of room so she mostly makes small projects she can give away. She's recently made lacey angels and then starched them so they stand up.

I'm thinking a crochet magazine subscription for Christmas might be good for her. I have cousins who crochet so when she is done with the mag she can pass it along to them so it won't be too much clutter.

I'm a knitter so I'm a little out of my element. My grandmother sees well, is as bright as ever and she's been knitting for y e a r s, any suggestions of a good magazine that will challenge and/or entertain her? She doesn't make sweaters or clothes of any sort that I'm aware of. Mostly afghans, hats and cutesy smaller items.

Thanks for your input,
--Julia

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2758 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  9:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message
Honestly a large print Reader's Digest would be my first thought. It's got lots of interesting stories, and will help her pass the time, and she can take turns with it with her friends by either reading it to them or vice versa. I know this one from experience with my grandparents. They love it!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

needlestohook
Warming Up

68 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit needlestohook's Homepage Send needlestohook a Private Message
Dear Julia,

That is exactly what she needs: a crocheting magazine. It can be very monotonous in a nursing home and what is better than having your hands busy at work on something you know someone will love. I think you should give her a magazine that will have a wide range of projects but nothing that is leaning too much towards the garment department. Here are a few magazine names I have enumerated:

1. Annie's Favorite Crochet
2. Hooked on Crochet
3. Crochet World
5. and also a new one that just came out: Crochet Today

The first and second magazines are smaller in size (Reader's Digest size) so you might want to subscribed since they won't clutter up the room as much. Aren't as bulky either.

You should suggest to her on making afghans, hats, and mittens; a lot of charities I looking for these items. I think it will give her a lot of motivation and pleasure knowing that she is crocheting for a charity.

I know you are asking about this for a Christmas present (which has been long gone for weeks) but I do hope my suggestions have helped you. If you already subscribed to one maybe get another one: there is nothing wrong with more patterns! :)

Please tell me what you decide upon!

Rebekah
www.saintmariasmessenger.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by