Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Picking up stitches on an edge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  1:02:07 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
I'm working on a chemo cap with Chincilla and the pattern requires that you do the band first in a narrow strip and sew it together which I've managed to do ok. Then you need to pick up 110 stitches along the edge to knit the cap part. I've looked at knitting.about and it seems like I'm doing it right (using one needle and just pulling a loop of yarn through as if knitting). My concern is that it's not like I'm picking up actual stitches - I'm just picking up along loops of stitches at the edge and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Since I can't see the stitches because the yarn is furry, it makes it harder.

Is there any magic to this? I'm just feeling around for a loop and then picking up a stitch. Hopefully I'll be able to get 110 stitches out of it - there's really no way to count loops around since I can't see them. I'm just hoping it will all work out as I go around.

Also, I've never knit in the round before. The pattern says to knit in stockinette stitch - does that mean I just keep knitting around and around and not switch to purl stitch?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jessica

p.s. I'm going to the opera tonight which should be fun but I find myself feeling antsy since I won't be able to knit tonight! It'll be the second night this week that I couldn't knit since I had to work REALLY late on Tuesday night. Heavy sigh. I guess it'll have to wait for the weekend.

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  1:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Jessica,
If the yarn is so fuzzy that you can't see to pick up the stitches, who is going to know if you are doing it right or not? I usually pick up stitches one whole stitch from the edge (between stitches one and two) but I have met people who swear by picking up in the middle of the edge stitch. I think it is a matter of preference, perhaps tempered by the characteristics of the yarn you are working with. I have worked alot with fuzzy yarns, I have found that you can't see the mistakes close up but sometimes they become more visible from a distance. (usually after it is worn and washed a few times too) I suggest that if you find a mistake after the fact, go in with some more yarn from the back side and draw that sucker up!

Yes, stockinette stitch knit in the round means knit every round.

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  2:48:16 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Thanks for the help, Alissa - I know you're right, who cares if it's technically right as long as it looks and feels fine and does what I need it to do? I think the anxiety is coming from the fact that I'm making the hat for a dear friend's mother who was a second mom of sorts to me while I lived in New York many years ago. I feel like it's the only thing I can do for her in this trying time and I want it to be "just right."

I think I'll try what you do and pick up between the first and second stitches from the edge. Perhaps it will be more secure that way and less likely to be visible. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  5:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I have a second Mom just like yours! She is my best friend's mom. I have been lucky enough to know her for 27 years. About 8 years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She didn't tell any of us, she just went in for a radical mastectomy! BOY, were we mad! Well, 3 years later she had cancer develop on her liver. They went in for exploritory surgery and found all her internal organs were covered in a "cancerous slime". They acid washed her insides, sewed her back up and sent her home. Mom has fought like crazy. 3 years ago I got a call to come home to Michigan from Texas because Renee' (my best friend) didn't think Mom had much longer left. When I got there she was too sick to see me or my children who she thinks of as her only grandchildren! Well, Mom is better! She and Dad are planning a cruise vacation this summer and having the time of their lives since they have both retired. Oh yeah, and her hair was lost to chemo, when it grew back it was flaming red! She used to be a brunette. We tease her that this is her secret self and she needs to live up to it! She tries her best. Knit on with love, I know your friend will appreciate it no matter what it looks like! (even though I know it will be lovely!)

Hugs! (sometime we just need those)

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  5:23:23 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
What a great story - she must be quite a fighter. I had never heard of anyone's hair growing back a different color - how cool. I certainly hope that Angela's mom makes it, too. She's the kind of person who'll keep fighting until there's no fight left in her. She's like her sister who was a prosecuter in New York before there were lots of female attorneys - they used to call her the Little General because she's only five feet tall but she commands those around her! Well, Angela's mom (the one with cancer) is the same way - she used to be a high school principal.

Anyway - thanks for the support. I'm happy to be going to the opera (it's Mozart - the only opera I really like!) but part of me would definately rather be working on the hat! Too bad I can't bring it with me to the opera!

Have a great weekend!
Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  6:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Not being an Opera fan, why can't you take it with you? I mean, I know it would be in poor taste to knit DURING the opera but surely there is time in your seats before the perfomance and during intermission? I would take mine but then I knit in the movies too! I did learn early on to NOT take metal dps with me, very embarrassing when they drop! Now that I knit socks on two circular needles, voila! No more nasty lost needles!

I hope all turns out well for you friend too!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Well - I was invited by a business acquaintance and she has box seats with a really interesting group of people. It would have been very anti-social of me to bring my knitting! (Not that I can't knit and carry on a conversation at the same time - it's just that people feel like you aren't listening when you do that!).

Anyway - I did manage to pick up the stiches along the edge but I wasn't following the pattern exactly (I made the headband part a little smaller) so I couldn't pick up the 110 stitches the pattern calls for. So - I figured I'd just adjust for it but after knitting about 3 inches of the cap part, I realized that I didn't start decreasing early enough. I may have to rip it out (hopefully not all of it but I'm not sure I can rip just part of it out) but I guess that's all part of learning.

Anyway - thanks so much for your help!
Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  3:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I can see how knitting might be seen as inappropriate by that crowd. I hope you have a great time anyways!

About the hat, remember that chinchilla has little to no memory and doesn't hold a shape. In otherwords, if it is not snug enough at the headband part it will droop. I love that yarn! It is so soft, you just have to work around it's idocyncracies.

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
I had a really nice time. Since my husband wasn't feeling well, I brought my mom who has never sat in such good seats at this theater. She loved it. I'm not a big opera fan - in fact, the only time we go is when this woman invites us - but this was a pretty good one.

Anyway - back to knitting - you're right about this yarn having no memory. That's one of the reasons I wanted to stay on the small side for the headband part. Hopefully I made the right decision. It pretty much fits my head snugly so I figure if her head is the same size or a little smaller (even without hair) it should fit.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to rip out the cap part and start again. I think I will because I want to make sure it looks right. It isn't great to rip out this yarn because it doesn't recover well but I think I'll have plenty (I have two balls) so I can just use the other ball to start again and use the "used" yarn to finish off the top if I need it.

I love this yarn too - it is sooo soft and feel luxurious on your skin. When I'm done with the hats I'll post some pictures and you can let me know what you think. Thanks for all your help!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Picking up vs knitting up - they are different but i believe the term "picking up" is used frequently also used for knitting up.

So.

Picking up is when you go along a line of already-knit stitches and put one half of each stitch on the needle. This makes for some pretty tight stitches on your needle. I don't know why one would do it, in fact, but since it is an activity with a name, evidently there are reasons for "picking up" stitches.

Knitting up stitches are when you go along that same line of already-knit stitches and poke your right needle into each stitch, wrap the yarn around it and pull it through - you actually knit into a stitch.

This is the "picking up" I do 99.9999999999% of the time.

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  1:24:05 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Gosh Bess - I guess I didn't even consider actually "picking up" the loops on the edge - I figured the pattern meant, as you call it, "knitting up". When I looked in the one book I have (which isn't a great book because it doesn't explain what it is) a picture with a caption about picking up stitches clearly was "knitting up" those stitches. Thanks for the heads up, though - I may eventually run in to a situation where "picking up" makes more sense than "knitting up."

Well, in any case, whatever I was doing appeared to work because it eventually started to look like a cap (and it wasn't unraveling as I went along)! I kept putting it on my head to see what it felt like - and looking in the mirror amazed that it appeared to still look like a cap! I'm just excited that my first attempt at using circular needles appears to be a success so far.

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  7:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I think this is one of the nebulous areas of pattern writting. Some people are very specific and state "pick up and knit X# sts". Some just say pick up X# sts. Others give you very clear (some with pictures) directions on a specific method. I have run into a couple of places where you just picked up parts of the stitches and put them onto the needles and knit from there. This is VERY tight. Great if you are putting a lace edge around a bedspread, not so great around a hat! I think that as long as you get your stitches onto the needle and you are happy with the results, go for it! When you are finished who is going to tell you that you were wrong? And if they have the nerve to do so you should pop them one and then put them on the "NO KNITS" list.

Remember that you knit to enjoy the process and please yourself. If someone else gets pleased too then it is double the pleasure!

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  03:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Ah. Alissa, there it is. Somewhere back in the deep recesses of my memory were some instructions to "pick up" the stitches of something but not to knit them up. Makes sense to do it with lace edging which is likely to be loose yet unyielding. Just couldn't remember why I'd ever use the technique. I haven't knit lace though I've read a good deal about it.

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  1:24:47 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
That makes sense, Alissa. I did end up ripping out the cap part of the hat last night because when I tried to just rip out two rows, I couldn't get the needles back in right. As I said before, I just want it to be as good as I can get it!

So now I'm back to picking up and knitting stitches and boy, do I hate this part. It's so hard to pull up a loop through this edge. Maybe I should use a crochet hook to help me.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I'll post a picture when I'm done (which better be soon - otherwise, at this rate, her hair will grow back before I get two hats done!).

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  10:41:25 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
I just thought I'd let you know that I finished my first hat last night! It was my first time using circular needles and dpns and I'm very proud of myself. I think it came out ok although perhaps I should have done it in a solid color instead of a multi-color yarn. I used one of the free Chemo Care hat patterns from Patternworks which doesn't have any pictures of the finished product so I was flying blind a little bit. But - in the end, it looks like a hat so (thanks to all your help!) I must have done something right!

When I get the second one finished, I will post a picture and you can let me know what you think!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  8:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Congratulations on your finished project! It doesn't matter how big or small, there is a real sense of satisfaction in weaving in that last end and snipping it off. I know the recipient will be very grateful! I just love Chinchilla and if I lost my hair it would be at the top of my list to make a hat from. The other would be a yarn called "Touch Me" which is also chenille but WAY more expensive than Chinchilla. But hey, I would be in need of some comfort so I would probably go for it!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  08:25:52 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
It is very satisfying to finish a project. I started the second one last night which will probably be easier - partly because I've already done a hat! I love the Chinchilla, too - the only thing that's a little irritating is I have little Chinchilla hairs all over my couch! Small price to pay, though.

It's funny, I asked DH today if he wanted me to make something for him and he said no because I already have a bunch of projects going. I laughed and said I only have about 6 projects going and Clara told me that it's not too many until I have at least 12 projects going! So, I'm trying to think of something to make for him (even if he doesn't want to ask me to) - his birthday is coming up after all!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  4:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
YAY, Jessica! Way to go! For your next project, you might want to "pick up" (I always knit up like you did unless the pattern specifically says not to) with a smaller needle, especially on non-give yarn. Then, just knit the next row with the correct size. Should work, and be easier to pick up.

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  4:48:05 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Oh Lissa - What a fabulous idea! That would have been much easier. I also thought about pulling out one of my crochet needles and just picking up loops which probably would work, too but it might be a bit awkward having to hold the hook and the needle.

Oh well - I will definately use your advice the next time I have to engage in this nefarious activity!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  8:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Did you know that Addi makes a tool for picking up stitches with a smaller needle? It looks like a regular circular needle but one end is a crochet hook! If I were fighting with my project to pull the new stitches up this would be the tool I would try.

Does your DH have cold feet? Socks or slippers are good. Otherwise my DH always wanted a blankie of his own. Ok, not in those words but that is what he wanted. One to drape over his desk chair and curl up in while he worked. It only took 11 years for him to get it but he has it now! It is his very own, he doesn't share with anyone. I like it when my knitting is appreciated. He won't have to wait 11 years for another afghan at this rate.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  10:23:03 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Alissa - that's a good idea. I'll offer to make him a blanket of his own. Maybe I'll let him choose the colors and pattern. Also, thanks for the tip on that stitch-picker-upper! I'll keep my eyes open for it.

I'm sort of frustrated with the second hat now. I started it, frogged it (seems to be the thing for me to do with hats) and started it again. I managed to not make the same mistake twice but now I'm worried that it won't fit. I cast on the appropriate number of stitches, I have the right gauge but when I tried to slip it over my head just to see how it was coming along, it seems like it's too small! (and I have a relatively small head!) I feel like I should keep going a little bit more just to see if it eases itself out but I hate to waste time. I'm thinking of sending her the first hat and telling her that another one is in the works. I'm afraid that it'll be summer (or her hair will grow back) before I get this infernal project done!

Ok - venting done, back to work. Thanks for "listening" . . .

Jessica

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.