Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Adding stretchy cuffs to FT clogs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  4:33:22 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
I've knit up and felted several pairs of the Fiber Trends clog pattern we know and love...but my family has extremely skinny feet! DH is the worst, and after looking through some catalogs, he came and asked me if I could add a stretchy, non-felted cuff to his existing clogs to make them stay on his feet. I've searched around and the closest thing I've found to what he wants are felted socks (on knitpicks.com - free pattern) with the non-felted cuff sewn on after felting.
Any ideas for modifying this idea for the FT clogs?

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4153 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  4:43:37 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Hmm. It would be possible, I guess, to knit the cuff in an acrylic or cotton (ie something that doesn't felt) and then you wouldn't have to sew it on afterwards (sewing onto felt is not fun, imho). I've never tried it tho'.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  6:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I have a pair of baby slippers made just that way Kim. Unfortunatly no pattern, they're for the Guilds display. But the knitter explained that she knit the cuff in acrylic in a "normal" size and then followed the felting pattern with the "oversized" piece. When it felted the acrylic kept it's shape and the wool shrunk to size.

They're litte slippers with ears, tongue to make a dog. Soo cute! I'd love to find the pattern. The knitter is no longer a member and even so, couldn't remember where she found the pattern.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  11:14:20 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
Linda,

FT has a pattern like that. I bought it at NY S&W.. lost in my stash now, though.

That's a good idea about the acrylic yarn.

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  08:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message
or how about knitting the cuff in superwash wool? Or any of the varieties that have gotten 'darn it, it just won't felt!' complaints in this forum. It might be a little worse for the wear when you're done - I'd love to know the results of a swatch test with whatever you choose.
-C
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  06:35:06 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
Check out the Knitpicks' Slipper Socks free pattern. It is a felted pair of socks with unfelted stretchy rib cuffs. You may be able to adapt it to the clog pattern. The problem with knitting a non-felting yarn for the cuffs along with the feltable part is that you won't know what the proportions should be and how the felting process would affect the non-feltable yarn, especially if it takes a long time and lot of agitation in the washer. You could do a swatch ahead of time but felting is inexact. My choice would be do felt the clogs and then attach the unfelted cuffs afterwards for a better fit.
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
The doggy slipper pattern in the Knit Babies Heads and Feet or whatever it's called, I don't have the book here with me, it's shaped like a...hat I think.

-Katie
The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him; and the surest way to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him and show your distrust.
Henry L. Stimson (1867 - 1950)
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  08:01:35 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Yep, Ceecee, that's what I was going to do - a retrofitted cuff. :) I guess I should start with a basic sock cuff and see how that goes on...maybe short rows at the back to give some extra length in the upper heel area?
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
How about just a back behind the ankle strap like a sandal, that could be felted. You could have a groovy real or fake button on one side for a little design detail. I like the way those sandals close that have a strap that goes thru the flat regtangular metal ring piece then folds back on itself with velcro to adjust fit. They are used like that in hiking sandals because they hold the sandle so well in place on the back of your foot.
Go to Top of Page

camelheights
Warming Up

52 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  07:13:30 AM  Show Profile Send camelheights a Private Message
I made some mittens that were felted with a cuff put on later. What you do is knit up your clogs, then where you want the cuff to go, with double strand of cotton yarn, single crochet around the edge. Felt your clogs. Remove your cotton yarn. Where the cotton yarn was are holes that you can use to pick up sts and knit your ribbed cuff on with.
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  1:40:22 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Thanks, camel! The clogs have been felted for over a year, but I'm thinking I can use an awl and punch some little holes and pick up from there.
(OR, I can start over! I hear that FT is releasing a new, improved clog with sizing options for skinny feet! I wish I could find it somewhere...)
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by camelheights

I made some mittens that were felted with a cuff put on later. What you do is knit up your clogs, then where you want the cuff to go, with double strand of cotton yarn, single crochet around the edge. Felt your clogs. Remove your cotton yarn. Where the cotton yarn was are holes that you can use to pick up sts and knit your ribbed cuff on with.

What a great idea! I haven't made FT clogs yet, but I just bought the pattern. A lot of people seem to love them. I would only make them with the higher backs anyway, so cuffing sounds like an option. Someday I will make them.

Wendy :)
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
The pattern has an option to make the cuff a few rows higher...try even more rows?? or add the superwash there.
I made a pair of mittens that had a cuff added after the felting process but you had some waster yarn to start with......
I think you have lots of options here..........

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe