Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Naughty to Knot?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  8:49:33 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Thank you so much frodosmom for the Russian Join link . I went to the link and printed it out right away. It also looks like there are other interesting info there. I too am a knotter then weave ends in later.I cant wait to try this method.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

shawn.mewhorter@hhs.gov
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:53:40 AM  Show Profile Send shawn.mewhorter@hhs.gov a Private Message
I have never tied a knot, although I have tempted! When I am knitting with wool or mostly wool blends I use the EZ "spit join" it never comes out and there are no ends to weave in. If not using wool, I too, weave it in as I knit and then also weave it in when I have completed the item, a bit over weave, but it makes me feel secure!
Go to Top of Page

burmese@actrix.co.nz

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  10:10:58 PM  Show Profile Send burmese@actrix.co.nz a Private Message
I always leave the joins at the end of the row, especially in the finer yarns.
Sandra New Zeqland
Go to Top of Page

sammigirl@optusnet.com.au

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  06:09:23 AM  Show Profile Send sammigirl@optusnet.com.au a Private Message
To knot or not to knot that is the question! Whether tis nobler to tie in or to knot at the side that is the question! Beware however I have had knots come undone. I find that sometimees if they're lose enough I untie them and weave each end in on its own. Yes they do come undone! But....however I am a naughty knotter like most seem to be. Finishing off takes aaaaaaages lmao

Sam
Melb
Aus
Go to Top of Page

seeyapia@aol.com

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  08:37:16 AM  Show Profile Send seeyapia@aol.com a Private Message
quote:

I knot and weave in ends because I'm a bit compulsive about yarns coming undone. This has *never* happened, so perhaps I'm overdoing it. I've been thinking about a suggestion on this forum a while back, using a dab of fabric glue to make sure an end stays woven in.

Cheryl

wouldn't that dab of glue, no matter how small, itch terribly on anything aginst the skin?
Go to Top of Page

nmarshall@wallsgallery.com

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile Send nmarshall@wallsgallery.com a Private Message
I started knitting as a lil kid and always knotted. Now that I'm a grandmother, I read that knotting is BAD. So I knit a couple pieces with no knots. But, YIKES! Slippery yarn - nylon furry stuff that the young 'uns find so cool - does not stay woven! So I now knot (and weave - or knit with dbl yarn on both sides of knot) all none wool yarns, and I do not knot wool (sheep only - bunnies, goats, dogs all get knotted). Whatever works!
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  12:51:30 PM  Show Profile Send JudyT a Private Message
So glad this question was asked! I have always knotted my work and felt very guilty doing so. Always wove in the ends so they wouldn't show and tried to place the knots in inconspicuous places. Now I know I have lots of company! However, I would be glad to learn a new and better technique if there is one??? JudyT

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  2:39:05 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I have fallen in LOVE with the Russian join. Always knotted before that, but this is just too wonderful. Did Elizabeth Zimmerman really talk about the spit splice? Which book?

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  8:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I am positive E.Zimmerman mentioned the spit-splice,probably in "The Knitting Workshop" or in "Knitting without Tears". Barbara Walker writes about tying knots to join new yarn in several of her books, including "The Learn To Knit Afghan". If I remember right she says something along the lines of "Don't worry, the knitting police won't come after you if you tie a knot"

The No Knots Ever dogma applies if you want to enter your knitted work in competition, at a fair, etc. That's probably how knots got their bad reputation!

I rarely tie knots myself, because I tend to work with wool. For cotton, linen, other slippery yarns,I will tie the occasional knot,keeping it a bit loose so it stays away from the knitted fabric and doesn't pucker. It also depends on the project. I have only knitted one pillow cover so far,but it was great fun not to have to worry about tying knots or weaving ends at the end since I was sewing it right on a pillow and no one would ever see the wrong side of my knitting!
For scarves, blankets, etc it is more challenging. I usually change yarn in the middle of the row, knit a couple of sts with both old and new yarns, then weave the ends in opposite directions when I am done.For garments with seams that will be sewn I change yarns at the edge of the row,and I worry less about knots then. At any rate,it's good to know that the greatest writers on knitting are divided on the issue like the rest of us!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  06:20:12 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Hi guys, What I've started to do is when I am winding my yarn into balls I usually put at least 3 or 4 hanks to make one large ball. So when I come to a new hank I do the Russian Join when I wind so I don't have to do it when I'm knitting. It works great so far!!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

bachlva
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:51:15 AM  Show Profile Send bachlva a Private Message
I always join at the end/beginning of a row and do a 1/2 knot ... actually, almost like tying a bow, but only with one loop, so I can pull it out later. Then, I un-do it before weaving in the ends. Sometimes I leave the 1/2 knot, sometimes I just cross over and do a little twist around each other, if you kwim. But then recently.... I've been joining like Evie Rosen does in the 'all new teach yourself to knit' ... tying a small knot with the new yarn around the old yarn - but i've been un-tying those too before weaving in. I've never had anything come loose [yet!]. Course, I've never really made anything that got *tons* of wear/washing, so I haven't had a good test, lol.

I *really* like that russion join - I may try that nextime - especially if I'm working in the round - seems like a great way to avoid weaving in ends - YUK! ;)

~Knitting is *bachlva* :)
Go to Top of Page

KikiL
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  3:17:49 PM  Show Profile Send KikiL a Private Message
I've been knitting (and crocheting) for years, and being obsessive / compulsive, knot AND weave! And I've never had anything unravel. But the flip side of that is that if I don't like the way the item looks when finished, that's tough. I can never take it apart to fix any sizing issues! Oh well. I did try the Russian Join on a sweater this summer and think I could get seriously hooked on it. But I've been doing so much knitting recently, that I've just taken the lazy way out and knot then weave. I love these forums! Just wish I had more time to browse them...

And I finally figured out that the stars show something about how active you are in the forums. Is it by year or number of posts?

Knitting Knut
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.