Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Naughty to Knot?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

berlinknits
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  9:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit berlinknits's Homepage Send berlinknits a Private Message
I have always read and been told to weave in ends rather than to knot them. I have also always been using wool--yet for my current work in progress I'm using cotton and I'm making an intarsia design on the front. So, upon checking out ready-to-wear cotton sweaters, both children's and adults, they knot the yarns together rather than weaving them in. What to do? I am wondering if I weave these ends in on this cotton if it will come undone? I feel fairly secure in weaving the ends in one wool because it seems to adhere together better. Should I, gasp, knot the ends together? I would love some input!!

http://berlinknits.blogspot.com

GoneFishing
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  11:07:01 PM  Show Profile Send GoneFishing a Private Message
(sshhhhh......) I always knot. I'm no knitting master, so caveat emptor. But I cannot be convinced that unknotted ends will not eventually come loose. And the thought of machine washing non-knotted ends--gasp! I'm sure there's some trick. The only bad thing I've found about knotting is it keeps me from making afghans and scarves. So far I haven't had any puckering.

Sheryl
Madras, OR

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  11:27:52 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I have been knitting for years and have always knottted my joins.There are quite a few ways of joining but this has always been my method and I've had no trouble with it.I'm even really naughty and join in the middle of a row and then just carefully weave in the ends.You do what ever you are comfortable with and I promise never to tell.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  02:15:10 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I'm so glad to see this because I've been knitting for years and I also knot (preferably at the seam) and then weave in the ends. Even with wool, I'm not convinced that unknotted ends won't work their way loose. And Sheryl, I've done lots of afghans and scarves with no problems.

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  06:07:18 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I knot and weave in ends because I'm a bit compulsive about yarns coming undone. This has *never* happened, so perhaps I'm overdoing it. I've been thinking about a suggestion on this forum a while back, using a dab of fabric glue to make sure an end stays woven in.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Elaine@PA
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  07:16:10 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine@PA a Private Message
I guess we "knotters" are coming out of the "closet". I also knot and join in the middle of a row at times.
Elaine in PA.

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  07:46:59 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I usually don't knot when it comes to 100% wool yarns...they are "sticky" and tend to stick together without coming undone. But when I'm knitting with more "slippery" yarns like silk or cotton or blends, I will often tie a knot...

Go to Top of Page

berlinknits
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit berlinknits's Homepage Send berlinknits a Private Message
Thanks for the moral support!! My instinct just feels that with cotton I should make a knot. I'm wondering if said knot will then poke through to the right side, though? I think I am going to knot and see how it goes.

Also, Sheryl, I grew up in Redmond, not too far away from you!!

http://berlinknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  9:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I knot...and then, when the project is finished, I untie the knots and weave in the ends. Kind of a compromise, I guess.

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  10:37:18 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Hi everyone! Since I learned the Russian Join....I don't have to tie knots. Now, I'm using this Touch Me....How should I join that? I have it lightly knotted until the end, then I'll weave in. Any other suggestions???

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  09:06:24 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Vicky,

I know you explained the Russian join once before, but it escapes me? I'd love to know how you do that.

As for knots, I've always just weaved in my joins because of the NO-NO's concerning knotting, but now, who knows....I'll be in good company, that's for sure!

Regards, Patience

P.S. I'm so excited!!! Anyone notice my 4th star was just added..YEAH!
Go to Top of Page

Chatelaine
New Pal

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chatelaine's Homepage Send Chatelaine a Private Message
As far as knotted ends poking through to the front...I've never had that problem (add me to the group who usually knots andweaves).

IF that ever happened, I would just poke the end back!

I think you have to be more careful/concerned about the weaving. Depending on the thickness of the yarn and stitch, woven ends are sometimes visible. Not weaving very much (after knotting, of course!) and/or weaving vertically will make the spot less noticeable.

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:27:04 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

Vicky,

I know you explained the Russian join once before, but it escapes me? I'd love to know how you do that.

As for knots, I've always just weaved in my joins because of the NO-NO's concerning knotting, but now, who knows....I'll be in good company, that's for sure!

Regards, Patience

P.S. I'm so excited!!! Anyone notice my 4th star was just added..YEAH!

Hey Patience...We both just got our 4th stars!!! We are seriously hooked!!!! Patience...go to the top of the page. Click on search. Type in Russian Join....I can't remember which one it is...but one of the posts has a link to "How to do the Russian Join" It's very easy to follow along the writing and the pictures. In fact, I had to look it up twice yesterday...I have already had 2 knots in my first ball of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran yarn!!! Hope I don't find anymore, or I'll have to write a note of displeasure and I don't want to do that! Take care Patience (seriously hooked ****)

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

BSumner
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  3:41:14 PM  Show Profile Send BSumner a Private Message
I'm definately a knotter. I can't fathem working so hard for so long and having it come apart in the wash.

Go to Top of Page

LinKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  7:48:34 PM  Show Profile Send LinKnit a Private Message
I too knot but, also weave, it depends on the stitch and yarn. Cotton will usually shrink and hold the woven ends in place. My last sweater I finished was cotton and it shrunk very nicely. Now DH wants a tuck stitch top for next summer because they're very light and airy, if he'll only decide on the color

LindaM
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I have knotted all sweaters since a child showed me how easy it was to take his sweater apart. The knots usually bury themselves in the knitting and I also weave in the ends to hide them. The sweaters are very neat and I plan to continue doing it this way.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Lori Jean (aka lj81)
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  11:46:30 AM  Show Profile Send Lori Jean (aka lj81) a Private Message
I was taught that knots weaken the fabric and cause unweaving or unraveling. Am I wrong? It sure would have saved a great deal of heartache had I known I could knot...to knot or not to knot? that is the question.

Lori Jean "often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key"
Go to Top of Page

peaceful
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  09:18:45 AM  Show Profile Send peaceful a Private Message
Wow! I'm thrilled to know that knotting is an option -- always thought it was a real no-no. I intend to try it on a current project: my first attempt at washable denim. Would it be best, do you think, to join at the seam, knot, then weave vertically up & down the edge? I SURE wouldn't want the sweater to come apart during the required "hot wash"!
This is my first post to a forum, but I have enjoyed reading over the past month..

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I have never had jumpers come undone because of knotting and some of them I have had for years.I've got a sleeveless vest that my mum made when she was a girl (which I've kept for sentimental reasons)and that is still in one piece after many washes.She was the one who taught me to knot.
It's up to you where you place the knot.If it is lacy work then I would advise to place it at the beginning of the row as it is sometimes hard to hide the ends.I also weave the ends in opposite directions as well which cuts down on the thickness.If you are joining two different colours I make sure that I weave into the same colour as well.It just makes it neater on the inside.
Occasionally I have had an end that has poked up again but it is just an easy thing to reweave it back in again.That is why it is important to not cut them too short.
Hope this helps
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Koho18
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:23:13 AM  Show Profile Send Koho18 a Private Message
I also knot than weave in the ends. With flat knitting I only join at the seams. With circular knitting, I am now weaving in as I knit.

Go to Top of Page

SoxFan5
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile Send SoxFan5 a Private Message
I don't post to the forums often, but this topic has been on my mind a lot recently and really struck a chord. I have knotted from my very first knitting attempts up til now. From a logical standpoint (being deathly afraid of unraveling) I didn't even question that this would be the advised method. Of course, now I have read otherwise - that those really in the know (I would still only rate myself as an advanced beginner or perhaps early intermediate knitter) say weaving in the ends creates a more polished finished product, etc. etc. but I still can't get over the urge to knot. I have knit many, many afghans, scarve, wraps, and shawls and haven't even bothered to do knots at the beginnings of rows, just wherever the current ball of yarn runs out. In fact, my logic (again with the logic!) dictates that if you're in the MIDDLE of a row when you do the knot, it's easier to weave the remainder of the yarn into the back of the work and make it far less noticeable. But at the end of a row you're faced with a big bulgy (and I feel somewhat conspicuous) knot. The one concession I make is that I do always join the next ball of yarn in the middle of a "wrong side" row to avoid having the knot poke through the front. Most people for whom my knitted goods are given as gifts are not going to sit and inspect each row of work - especially the BACK of the work. But I guarantee they'd have something to say if the thing started unraveling!! I have had good luck so far in that the yarns I've used thus far (mostly acrylic blends and wools) have been cooperative and don't break with knotting - but I suppose I should bear that possibility in mind if I ever really start venturing into some of the more temperamental yarns. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?