Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Crochet hooks, REALLY tiny ones
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  01:52:26 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Hi Crochet Folks, this is only the second time I've posted here and I don't know if I got the right forum or not. I was hoping you who are in the know could tell me where one would go about finding a REALLY tiny crochet hook.

I have one that my grandmother used to make lace tablecloths. It is steel and has its price printed on the side - a whopping 35 cents - and reads that it is a 14. The hook is very tiny, just incredibly tiny. I have been using it to put beads in my knitting as it is so small and fits in the smallest of beads.

I live in fear of losing it.

Where would I find something that size these days? I am most sure it would cost far more than 35 cents but at this point, I wouldn't care. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

M L

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  02:20:43 AM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
I know the kind of size you are referring to Milinda because I had some extremely fine ones myself but have not used them for years - we have moved house so many times in the past that they could be somewhere out in my stored stuff in the (carless)garage!!The smallest I have in the house at the moment is 2mm which is the old English size 14 but US size B/1 .I did have a 1.25mm(I think - or even smaller)You could try using a knitting - needle gauge gadget and see if you can get an idea of it's size from that - probably there won't be a hole small enough for it. Have you tried looking on the net or at your LYS ??Hope you get some more helpful feedback!!Good Luck with it - Happy Knitting and Crochet - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  08:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message
I've never been able to find small crochet hooks at my LYS. The best place I found was here: http://www.lacysusan.com/ She was awesome. I bought a hook (can't remember the size and can't locate it right now) from her and had a great experience. :)

NAYY, just a satisfied customer

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  09:15:16 AM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message
The smallest hook I have is a 0.90mm or 13/14 from Susan Bates. I needed some very fine hooks for some bead crochet projects and my LYS ordered them for me. I am sure someone has them for sale online.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  2:06:32 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
Elann.com has the tiny hooks all the way down to size 16--and they come with plastic caps kind of like ball point pens. I have several and really like the short handle. They are a little more than 35 cents, but since they are made by Addi, they ought to be good quality.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  2:52:12 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
THIS is what you are looking for Milinda!

They are called thread hooks.

http://www.lonestaryarns.com/addisteel.html

I use them for beading while knitting. They have a cap that pulls off the end and covers/protects the needle tip when not in use. It also protects your yarn when you drop the needle in your bag.

They come in teeny tiny sizes too.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Thank you all, I feel so much better now. Now that I am as into the beading as I am lace knitting, the thought of not having the right tool was upsetting me.

M L
Go to Top of Page

juliebug
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  6:08:45 PM  Show Profile Send juliebug a Private Message
Elann.com sounds like a good site, but you should be able to find steel hooks at any decent crochet supplier. I would however try to hang on to the old hook if you can because I don't think new ones have the same quality. I have never used any from Germany but I have hooks I inherited from my great-grand mother and they are superior to new ones I've bought at least as far as Boye and Susan Bates are concerned. These hooks are used for thread crochet which can be alot of fun if you have not tried it.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  3:19:43 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
lacis.com also has steel hooks down to Size 16, and their catalogue of needlework and costume items (which you have to download) is an amazement -- who knew such things existed? But I must also have to recommend elann.com I've placed several needle ordered with them and each time the prices were good, the service excellent and the delivery quick.

"Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?"
--Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  2:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
Actually, I've found teensy tiny crochet hooks at JoAnn's. They had then when the LYS didn't. I bought a size 11 (I think--I don't have here) to use for beading, and they had smaller sizes available.
Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  07:24:07 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message
My teensy crochet hook? From my hair highlighter kit -- you know, the one with the cap and you use the teensy hook to pull your hair through?
I've been using it for years -- works great if you drop a stitch of sock yarn on US1's.
And it seems identical to the lace crochet hook I found in my bf's mother's notions. She was a WWII bride from Ireland and it lovely to see the dainty tiny gauge of things she knit with her 14's.
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:59:34 AM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message
After reading this topic I went looking for needles passed down from my Mother and Grandmother. The smallest I have is a Boye # 11. Another Boye size 10 with a price of 10 cents!! Found an # 8 Hero made in England. Anyone heard of it? Do I have a tresure trove here:-)? I learned crocheting literally sitting at their knees. They did the most beautiful things with these tiny little needles yet never learned to read a pattern. Thank goodness for our ancestor needlewomen.
Barb in AZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?