Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Passap E-6000
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shay
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shay's Homepage Send Shay a Private Message
I've inherited a Passap E-6000. Right now, I'm using it without the electronics on (following the instructions in "Knitting with the Lights Off" by Billie Halle).

Question any Passap owner: how much strength is required to move the locks (carriages to Japanese machine owners) over the knitting? I get a real workout when I use this machine: standing, hands on both locks, shove mightily.

The machine knits, and I can use the exercise, but -- whoo!

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  11:53:56 AM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
Hello Shay...

In addition to my Passaps, I have a couple of double bed Singer chunky's, a double-bed Brother Compuknit, and a DB Artisan midgauge. The Passap locks do usually require a fair amount of more "muscle" than the Japanese counterparts to slide back & forth, but perhaps not to the extent you're describing. Overall I've found the Passap locks to be twice as heavy as any of the Japanese models, but still you should be able to move the locks without that much resistance. When DB knitting, my DM80 takes slightly more exertion than the 6000, but not the the point where I cannot sit in front of it and use the handle on the front lock only. I will often use one arm only to free up the other to keep a check on the yarn feeds when color-knitting. Using the pushers also requires a bit more effort.

I expect when I'm getting more resistance, the first thing I do is a low-level cleaning: I vacuum the needlebeds out, wipe off the old oil, and apply a few drops of new. I wish I could provide more insight, but there is a great book out called "The Passap Paramedic." It's excellent for explaining how to repair & maintain Passaps. Hope this helped a little.
Jim
Go to Top of Page

ValerieG
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  09:45:23 AM  Show Profile Send ValerieG a Private Message
I have a DM80 (among others) and it should NOT be that difficult.
You need to clean it. Remove all the needles, soak in denatured alcohol, dry on rag and use another rag moistened with denatured alcohol and gun oil. (Check that the oil is safe for plastics)
Remove the locks and check for oil build-up and gunk. Directions for cleaning and oiling can be found at http://www.yarns-and.com/PassapMaint.htm
Definitely by the Passap Paramedic, (order from writer, you’ll need to web search, I can’t remember his name right this minute, it’s not that expensive.)
If you live on the west coast there will be a great seminar next spring “Pasifically Passap”
Valerie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?