Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Sock Yarn Not for Socks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  3:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I was drooling over the colors of Regia yarn on the knitter.com and noticed they mentioned that an adult sweater would take about 9 balls... so then I started daydreaming myself prancing about in my matching socks and sweater... and I'm wondering if anyone has used Regia for a sweater - what does it do for the pattern?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  11:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Thinking I was being clever and using up leftover yarn and knitting a Barbie sweater for my daughter at the same time, I used the remains of my Regia Ringel. The sweater was never finished! It was by far and away the ugliest bit of Barbie clothes I have seen since I knitted for her on my KnitMagic Mattel toy when I was a child!!! The stripes were all out of proportion and what is really stunning in a whole sock just looks silly when there is only enough sweater for three stripes!

It did make a great cat toy

I haven't seen the fingering used for an adult sweater but I have seen some really cute childrens garments from the 6fadig sport weight in Crazy Colors (also made some great socks that my chiropractor swears I swiped from some poor clown with very cold feet!)

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  04:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
on the other hand, there are many wonderful designs for Koigu merino (as luscious a yarn as you will ever knit with if you can enjoy large projects done on small needles) and the socks I've done in it are very lovely. Not striped like Regia, but varigated. I too have thought of doing up a matchint sweater.

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  05:56:08 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
HI Bess! I was wondering if anyone had knit with the Koigu yarn....I keep drooling over it in my yarn catalog but haven't had the extra money to order right now. You made socks from yours? And they're holding up? I read somewhere where merino wool pills badly. Right now I'm making a Dale of Norway solid colored basketweave texture sweater from merino wool and I LOVE the way it feels!....but it's a gold color (you know the old dirty gold color that is a throwback to the 70's! *but it's really pretty*) So! I would love to work with the Koigu colors!

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  07:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
pant pant pant

I love working with koigu. 2 skeins were enough to knit a pair of socks with a little left over. (size 9 feet!) I love the twist of this yarn. I've seen it in other yarns and I am sure it has a name because it is so distinctive. I just haven't found it out yet. It's a little .... knobbly? not exactly bumpy, but .. well, the photo in patternworks catalog displays this twist very neatly and when the yarn is in your hand you will see it as well.

If i live long enough i plan to make several garments out of it. the socks are holding up okay. I'm not hard on them and (blush) i enjoy handwashing them. I guess I haven't knitted enough things to resent hand washing, or perhaps I am between children and grandchildren and want some babies to wash.

Lots of merino things I have bought pilled dreadfully but none of the items I've made have done so. Of course, I have yet to make a merino wool sweater. Everything has been in the accessory category. socks, mittens, hats. I think that is because the machine knitted yarn is more fragile than the hand knitted yarn but i have no proof of that - just a guess.

I knitted my husband socks out of tiur from Dale. He loves them I am so ashamed of them i am industriously knitting him a pair of regia ones so i can pitch the tiur. I used that because it was what i had in the house the day I got the confidence to knit my first pair of socks. It felted dreadfully and it also sort of grew hair...but it has not pilled! imagine that. It was a fun yarn to knit with though.

I too am knitting a gold sweater! and i love both gold and avocado but then I am an autumn from the color-me book. I'm really excited because I'm about to unite the sleeves to the body and knit up EZ's set in sleeve shoulders. 3rd item in the knitting basket is a sleeveles shell out of Dune - hurrying on that because I plan to go to the Barry Klein workshop on Mar. 9.

good knitting to you!

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  4:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I have knitted one pair of socks from Koigu yarn. I have to say they are my favorites. I spent plenty on the yarn, I worked up the most intricate pattern I could find. WOW! I just love them They get worn at least once a week. I hand wash them and lay them flat to dry. They have pilled slightly but no where near enough for me to be disappointed. I have also worked with Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock yarn. Also very yummy but very fine. I like to knit socks on 2's. I think these would work better on 1's or 0's. These have seemed to pill more than the Koigu but that may be more from the fact that they are knit more loosely than from the yarn itself.

As soon as I finish this vest I am going back to my socks!

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.