Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Fixing a bad cast on
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

betsygj

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  07:23:55 AM  Show Profile Send betsygj a Private Message
Hi all,

I'm working on Sally Melville's Joel's Scarf. It's about halfway done and the cast on row is driving me batty. I didn't realize just how bad it was until I went along a bit. (I've since learned to cast on with a bigger needle, but too late for this project.)

What I'm wondering is... can I go back later, take out the slip not, carefully rip out the cast on row (and maybe one or two more rows) and re-knit/bind off that end to neaten it up? Any tips for doing this? The scarf is done completely in garter stitch.

I figure if all else fails, I'll add a fringe...

TIA!

- Betsy
Knitting projects: http://myria.com/betsystuff/knitting

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  3:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
If you're up for such a tedious task, there's no reason why you can't do it. I've had fairly good luck doing the same, and it will work to your advantage that the scarf is garter stitch rather than some pattern--what you're suggesting is darn near impossible to do with lace.

Be careful about the edges, though. If you unravel and then knit downwards, everything will move over half a stitch and you'll be left with two half-stitches, one on each edge. As far as I know, there's no tried-and-true method of dealing with this jog; I just play it by ear and try to make it look neat.

Good luck!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

Amimono wa daisuki desu.

Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  3:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
If you're up for such a tedious task, there's no reason why you can't do it. I've had fairly good luck doing the same, and it will work to your advantage that the scarf is garter stitch rather than some pattern--what you're suggesting is darn near impossible to do with lace.

Be careful about the edges, though. If you unravel and then knit downwards, everything will move over half a stitch and you'll be left with two half-stitches, one on each edge. As far as I know, there's no tried-and-true method of dealing with this jog; I just play it by ear and try to make it look neat.

Good luck!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

Amimono wa daisuki desu.

Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
Sally Melville only teaches three or four cast on methods. There are dozens. Some might work better for you. Get a few books from the library and experiment. I like the cast on that is picked up from the back of a crocheted chain,even if I have to go back and bind it off later.If you have trouble keeping track of the number of cast on stitches,place a marker every ten or twenty stitches or every pattern repeat.

Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
Sally Melville only teaches three or four cast on methods. There are dozens. Some might work better for you. Get a few books from the library and experiment. I like the cast on that is picked up from the back of a crocheted chain,even if I have to go back and bind it off later.If you have trouble keeping track of the number of cast on stitches,place a marker every ten or twenty stitches or every pattern repeat.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe