Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Best Size Circular Needles?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suebob
Chatty Knitter

135 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  2:16:20 PM  Show Profile Send suebob a Private Message
I wanted to play around with circular needles with the idea of using them in the future for socks. Being a total ignorant on this I bought a pair of size 2 - 24". After casting on 72 stitches of sock yarn, I realized that maybe this needle length is a bit too long. I'm new to using circulars, and I didn't think to ask anyone at the LYS about this (silly me). Can someone tell me what is the best circular needle length for socks using sock yarn, and what your recommendations are for brand?

Edited by - suebob on 02/17/2002 14:17:58

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  2:40:19 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Hi...you bought exactly the right length for the most versatile use. They really aren't too long for socks, because you have to be able to have length enough to let the ends of the needles not in use hang down. Otherwise they are sticking up your nose! <G>

And that length makes them useful for sleeves and necklines, etc.

Once you use them, you will never go back to dp's!

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  2:42:13 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Oops..and I forgot to say that I use the bamboo Addi Turbo's and love them. I have not used any of the other brands, so I am a little biased.

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
Hi suebob! Folks 'round here are talking alot about using 2 circular needles to make socks. There is a place that shows how at http://ingridknits.tripod.com/2circsox.html and if you look under this sock forum at Favorite Sock Needles there is a lot of great information about doing so. I have a few 12 inch (30 cm) circular needles that I find wonderful for making socks and mittens (tho I've heard quite a few say they don't like working with circulars that are sooo short) and I bought them in Norway. They're NOVI circular needles and the 30 cm size is (was?) available in 2.5, 3, 3.5 and 4 mm sizes. HOWEVER, the last time I tried to find these, the lady at the store said they weren't available anymore. I have one 2.5mm 12 inch Addi circular that I am currently using on a pair of socks...

Blah, blah, blah... I just did a search for these needles, and found http://www.paradisefibers.com/needles/ which shows Novi needles (none of that size) but does have Addi 12 inch circular needles in sizes 0-8 US. I started using these short, short needles before I knew any better so that's probably why I love 'em so...
Hope this helps!

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  12:59:07 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I use 24" and 27" circulars for almost everything I knit.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  07:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The woman who wrote the book "Socks Soar..." recommends 24" length, and that's what I use - I don't find it too long at all... the ends hang down just enough for the cats to play with it without it disturbing my knitting.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  11:24:44 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Suebob! I went to my lys and asked for two size #2 12" length circulars back when I wanted to start knitting sock on two circulars. Thank goodness the shop owner asked me about them and talked me into at least a size 16".....well, it's very frustrating trying to knit two pairs of socks at once on size 16"'s! The next time I go to the lys I'm going to get the LONGER lenth! You need the flexibility of the longer length. I'm having a hard time battling the ladders up the side and part of this is caused from the "too short" circulars!

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I once knit a hat "in the round" on a 36" circular needle. All you have to do is pull out the excess coil on one spot of the needle and it will form itself into a coil, then just knit around. I have had problems with needles being too short but never with one being too long. I also knit the fingers of gloves with the 2 circular needle technique, 2--24 in. circulars that is. A too short needle is clumsy to handle efficiently. The longer ones hang out of your way when not being used. Your money is better spent on purchasing two of longer lenghth. I only have 1--36 inch needle that I use for blankets and afghans and it was a gift.

I used to prefer the balene needles but no longer have them (my dog ate them, they had a milk base) Now I use Bates silvalume which I believe are the same as Addi turbo needles. I also have a collection of various needles that I have accumulated over the years.

Fran

edited for spelling again--got to get this keyboard fixed...LOL

Edited by - fmarrs on 02/18/2002 15:05:19
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  03:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
I realize in hindsight that I was incredibly sleepy when I posted praising 12 " needles. I realize it seemed like I was proposing them for knitting socks with 2 pairs of needles, and I do realize that doesn't work (I tried it the other night, bad idea.) I use the 12 " for knitting socks and mittens on that one needle and I find it works well for me. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I'm intriqued by Fran's comment about putting the excess into a coil. What a terrific idea!
Theresa

Theresa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.