Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Hats, Gloves, and Mittens
 "acorn" hat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcholm
Chatty Knitter

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  07:58:44 AM  Show Profile Send kcholm a Private Message
I'm looking for help in creating a hat that looks like an acorn cap. Fiber Trends has a pattern but I don't think it looks much like an acorn. I'm thinking something along the lines of a band knit in a loden green and the cap part knit in a light brown, perhaps in seed stitch? I think if I did double increases every 4th row instead of single decreases every other row that would help keep the seed stitch in pattern. I could also make a few of Nicky Epstein's oak leaves to fasten onto the stem.
Perhaps a beret? Or a toque--which I think means a slightly longer band before it blouses out to the cap part? But I'm not sure how much to increase in that part.
Any help/suggestions are extremely welcome. I knit a felted beret in those colors and it looks cute but not really like an acorn--plus it weighs about 10 pounds!
TIA
Kirsten

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message
How about using Ann Norling's fruit hat pattern, starting in golden brown, and then where the leaves/stem part begin, don't make the points--just keep going round with a beige textured yarn and right up the stem?

View my projects at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitloon/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  1:27:31 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I'm talking off the top of my head here, I've never tried to knit this but.....I would start at the top with about an inch of i-cord, and then knit a small circle in seed stitch making double increases every 4 rows. That would keep the seed stitch intact. 6 increases per round would make the hat slightly curved on top. 8 would make it flatter. When the circle is about an inch larger than the head size,(about 8-9 inches in diameter) make dramatic decreases to bring it down to size and then knit the rest of the hat straight down ending with about an inch of ribbing. If you want to try it and need the help, I can write out a pattern for you.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  2:05:54 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Here's a Men's acorn cap (fulled) pattern. Fashionable in the 1460s.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe