Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hooray, it's finished!
 My first pair of "regular" socks...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  12:55:22 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
Trekking XXL was my choice because I liked the colorway. I'm now starting some with Fixation, then I have some Opal and Step that'll be next.

They came out okay, I had a heck of a time taking pictures of my own feet! LOL!

My ankles were getting itchy in the few minutes I had them on so I'm going to wash them a few more times. Do you think this will help? I LOVE my socks! I should've tried some Regia Cotton maybe...

Pics on my flickr page.

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  08:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message
Those look great! Congratulations on your first pair of socks. I just finished my first pair yesterday in Lorna's Laces and I don't find them itchy at all. I don't want to take them off! I see you already have several more in the works. I want to try that Online sock yarn. I saw a sample in the shop knit with that stuff and it looks really nice.
Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  09:14:19 AM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message
Nice looking socks!!! Great other FO's too.
I have itchy problems with wool too, but after wrapping a Lornas Lace skein around my ankle and leaving it there for a whle, I think it will be okay! I use sock yarn with cotton/nylon or cotton/microfiber mostly - no itch!

Ceci

Aw, gee, c'mon and see: http://knittinreed.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  11:22:05 AM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
Wow! I'll have to try the Lorna's laces! Thank you both for the lead!! I've seen some really pretty colors of that on ebay!

Ceci, what brands of yarn do you like in the cotton blends? I saw some Regia Cotton sock yarn at my LYS that's closing but ended up putting it back thinking "gee, I have so many others to work on already", now I think I may go back and get it.

I think I have a skein of some cotton blend Socketta also. And I saw last night that Herrschners has some cotton sock yarn, was it "Hot Socks" maybe? I may try that also. (Oh gosh, more yarn purchases! I've already gone terribly overboard this month!)LOL!

I can't wait to see if my Fixation pair comes out okay, then maybe I'll use that the most. I'm going to try washing the Trekking ones inside out a few times more and see if that helps too.

I hate being so sensitive! It's frustrating sometimes! [:((]

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  1:40:25 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message
Consockulations Dawn! I have completed one pair of socks in thick wool yarn that I only wear when I'm sleeping (I get cold feet) and am half a foot away from finishing of a pair for daily wear. I can't wait to finish so I can wear them!!

I haven't tried this but have heard elsewhere on this forum that putting a little hair conditioner in the final rinse when you wash the socks will make them softer, and I bet that would make them less itchy.

I know what you mean about going overboard on buying sock yarn!! I have to be firm with myself and not buy anymore until I knit up what I have.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  9:05:41 PM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message
Hi Dawn-

I like Fixation okay, but find that it shrinks. I have used Katia Mississippi 3 (bought from Carodan Farms) and also some crochet yarn by DMC called Senso (got it at Hobby lobby.) Neither of these are very stretchy, so you need to use a pattern with ribbing or lots of lacy texture so they stay up. There is is another yarn called Esprit by Elann from the Sock It To Me Collection that seems just like Fixation. One more - Fortissima Cotton Colori by Schoeller Esslinger (might be discontinued - I can't seem to find it any more).

BTW, it is always fine to buy more sock yarn since it doesn't count as part of your stash.

Ceci

Aw, gee, c'mon and see: http://knittinreed.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  05:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I have numerous pairs of socks in Lorna's Lace and haven't had any itchy issues. Congrats on your socks.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.