Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 OMG - It applies to your children too!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  08:31:02 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
My 20 year old son has been dating a young lady for about 8 months, and things seemed to be getting fairly serious (he has not had too many gfs in the past). She admired some of my knitting and son asked me if I would knit her a sweater - actually a little shrug she liked. So I started it - took about a week of evenings to make and yesterday afternoon I finished it. Son came home an hour later an announced that he and his gf had broken up.

Ooooopppppsss........

Polly

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  09:54:36 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Whoa! That's scary! I think I'll hold off on the sweater I was going to make for my son's SO. I don't want my grandbaby to be without a parent! Sorry to hear about your son's breakup.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
I have noticed that the girls are getting more skittish about marriage and serious committment the last few years.

Girls used to be programmed to seek marriage as early as possible. Now the silly little things think their entitled to a life first.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  11:02:39 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by llinn

I have noticed that the girls are getting more skittish about marriage and serious committment the last few years.

Girls used to be programmed to seek marriage as early as possible. Now the silly little things think they're entitled to a life first.

Llinn

Actually, I think the break up was over her wanting to get married right now. He is in his second year of college (engineering) and doesn't want to marry until at least his graduation. She has been very jealous of his time (obviously, he spends a lot studying and also has a part time job driving a school bus which takes him away for evening events and Sat. sports trips) and wants him to give her more attention. In this case, my son wants a life first!!

Polly
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  9:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
I wonder if people my age (20) are holding off on marriage more because we all change so much in college :)

-----
http://www.midnightskyfibers.com Handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits. Vegetarian and environmentally friendly!

Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  01:14:07 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I just wish I was young again.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

linjber
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  04:18:59 AM  Show Profile Send linjber a Private Message
If she was jealous of hs time spent going to school and working, there would surely be trouble ahead anyway. That said, no break up is easy. I hope they both get through it OK. Also - I hope the shrug fits someone else!

Be careful of what comments you make - they might get back together. That happened to my daughter. Long time boyfriend broke up with her and after a summer "off", they got back together. That lasted a year longer - they are not dating now, but I was sure glad I kept my negative comments to a non-personal level. It would have been tough to eat all the words I was feeling at the time!

Lin
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  05:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Sorry to hear about the breakup but it sounds like it was for the best. Being jealous of someone's time while they are in school or working is a sign of trouble in the future.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Miss Maia
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  09:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Maia's Homepage Send Miss Maia a Private Message
What a sweet mom you are to make a shrug for your son's GF! I'm sorry to hear about the break up. He made the right decision. Engineering school is very demanding, I barely survived it myself. I was already with my husband; otherwise I would never have dated someone seriously during college.

I completely agree about waiting to get married. I changed so much after turning 30. If I had married younger it would probably have ended in divorce. My husband was the first stable, sane, smart, and loving man I had the sense to date. I didn't meet him until I was 30 (and had snapped out of my bad boy" ways). Maybe others are better at making good decisions earlier in life; I believe there is nothing wrong with waiting until you grow up before marrying, whatever age that happens to be.

Maia
My blog, Maia Spins
Go to Top of Page

pahopeful
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  1:45:18 PM  Show Profile Send pahopeful a Private Message
I think people change way too much to get married during their 20s. We were so sure we were going to last forever no matter what and we were divorced when I was 28-a 10 year relationship-totally unfixable, and trust me we tried everything because we had two kids.
I got a kick out of Chris' statement that she didn't want the grandbaby to be without a parent, when in reality, she probably would be without the grandbaby if they split.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe