Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hooray, it's finished!
 Truly Tasha's Shawl
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  2:46:13 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I haven't done much lace, but thanks to Milinda [**] a certain someone has enabled inspired me to try some. I chose to start with something very simple like this shawl

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9876231&uid=4750272&members=1

It was boring er...easy and now at least...I can say I have my neighbor's Christmas present out of the way!

I made it using Reynold's Utopia sportweight in a color I found was discontinued...so I held my breath right down to the last 10" of yarn left as I finished. Whew!

Trish

*P.S. pattern here... http://www.woolywest.com/notebook_shawl.html

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  2:49:45 PM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
Love it Trish. I love how drapey yours is. I wear mine all the time. It is one of my favorite shawls. Wonderful work Trish!

Joy

Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  2:56:18 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Your shawl is lovely. I hadn't realized this pattern had such a nice edging. It's going back on my "to do" list. thanks -- claire
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  4:07:24 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Okay. I started mine first and you finished already! [**] Really pretty and I think I like it in a lighter color than what I'm doing mine in. LOVE the pin!

I like this pattern. It is perfect for waiting at doctor's offices, working on when you're tired and can't focus on more, perfect in-the-car knitting or in front of the TV. Great way to get your feet wet in lace, too.

M L
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  4:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
I really like this a lot. Your picture is much more flattering to the pattern than the "offical" one.
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  5:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I've made one of these as well in Jo Sharp Aran Tweed which has made a very cosy winter shawl. It has been my after work when my brain is fried project. As the lace edging is a simple Shetland pick up , I am making another one and planning to add a more complex edging to it to make it a bit more of a challenge for the weekends when I'm looking for more than something to wind down with.

I think the reason I have so many projects on the go is that I refuse to be bored by my knitting so juggle the simple and complex according to how alert I am. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

YOur version is very beautiful Trish.

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  5:36:09 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
Trish, your shawl is very pretty. I just finished my Truly Tasha last week. I used Colorado Yarn Knitaly in a muted dark plum. I chose the superwash wool so my grandmother will be able to wash the wrap with her regular clothes. It was a very easy knit but the resulting shawl is very pretty with the edging.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
Go to Top of Page

Irish350
Chatty Knitter

USA
321 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:21:48 AM  Show Profile Send Irish350 a Private Message
I have made two of these for my MIL. It is one of my favorite edgings. I also used this edging on a pinwheel baby blanket.

Maureen
http://irishknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:38:26 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Very nice, Trish! I've looked at this shawl and haven't ventured into making it as the photos on Nancy's site didn't appeal to me. Yours is lovely and has inspired me to haul out some of that Knitaly in my stash and make one!

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed: 18
2006 socks completed: 8
WIP: Hearts baby blanket from Fiber Trends

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
Oh my gosh, I've never been interested in really making this shawl until I saw your picture! It's back on my list now. I think I have some light colored Malabrigo that I could use on it...

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  07:10:03 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
It mighta been boring, but you did a wonderful job and it is lovely.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  09:23:26 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Thank you everyone! You kind words will help me move on to more challenging lace projects.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

bfaye
Seriously Hooked

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  09:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaye's Homepage Send bfaye a Private Message
Trish,

Your version of Tasha Tudor's shawl is beautiful. I have looked at this pattern several times, but like the others, it didn't appeal, but yours changed my mind. I'm a fan of Tasha Tudor and love her books and illustrations. Now her shawl is on my list of projects. Thanks.

benne
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Love it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

damadedax
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:39:00 AM  Show Profile Send damadedax a Private Message
I love the shawl. You do it much more justice than the pattern picture. I also like the pink/purple vest. It looks like it's been knit from side to side. What pattern did you use?

Ingrid
Anchored down in Anchorage
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  11:05:23 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kknitter

Oh my gosh, I've never been interested in really making this shawl until I saw your picture! It's back on my list now. I think I have some light colored Malabrigo that I could use on it...

~KKnitter's Blog

Malabrigo is a fabulous choice, but definitely go with a lighter shade/colorway. I wish I had, after seeing Trish's!

M L
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  4:14:48 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by damadedax

I love the shawl. You do it much more justice than the pattern picture. I also like the pink/purple vest. It looks like it's been knit from side to side. What pattern did you use?

Ingrid
Anchored down in Anchorage

Thanks Ingrid, I made that vest from this pattern...

http://www.ample-knitters.com/mid-xpress.html

It's very, very easy to make and size up or down and best of all the pattern is free. I added about 6" in length to my vest with no problem at all.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3974 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  4:40:23 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Fantastic shawl. Thank you for posting the pics.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

damadedax
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  8:07:26 PM  Show Profile Send damadedax a Private Message
Trish--thanks so much for the link. This is great. A great way to use up my odds and ends.

Ingrid
Go to Top of Page

tiennie
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  9:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit tiennie's Homepage Send tiennie a Private Message
So pretty! You're too funny!

Happy knitting or knit 'til you're happy! - tiennie
http://www.tiennieknits.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  06:50:40 AM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message
Trish, your shawl is lovely and very inspiring! This pattern has been on my wish list for awhile.

I noticed that the pattern calls for heavy worsted -- would you say that yours is a similar weight? How about others? Have you used lighter weights? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?