Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 gauge swatch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

butterflygirl13
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  07:48:02 AM  Show Profile Send butterflygirl13 a Private Message
I hate it when patterns tell you to measure your gauge across the pattern stitch and then don't tell you the number of stitches in a multiple of the pattern.

Anyone else hate this as well?

Pam

http://mypatheticlittleknittingblog.blogspot.com/

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  7:24:34 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
The nuimber of stitches in a multiple is not significant in a gauge swatch and that is probably why it is not mentioned there. The total number of stitches is more important. For a more accurate swatch, work a gauge swatch that is about 6 inches wide and 6 inches tall. Doing it in a pattern stitch makes it doubly important that the swatch be big enough.

Usually the number of stitches in a repeat is listed right with the pattern stitch which is further down in the pattern. If not.....to determine the number of stitches in a repeat, look at the written out pattern and count the stitches, eliminating those that lead up to the * and those that follow the second * or parentheses or whatever they use to identify the repeat.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.