Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Stuck on Print O the Wave Edging
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amsans@msn.com

USA
Posted - 09/16/2006 :  06:11:41 AM  Show Profile Send amsans@msn.com a Private Message
was searching for an answer to a problem I have with the above pattern and came across link to KR site discussing the pattern. I see many finished the shawl and wonder if I can as you for help.

I am complete with center panel, all the way through redistribute markers section. According to directions, I am working in the round (since the marker round join).

Here is where I am stuck. I can't visualize how to connect the edging to the main section. I completely understand the connection occurs on the last stitch of each WS row (an SSK with last stitch and a stitch from the main section) but I can't figure where to start.

First am I correct in assuming to begin the border on an independent set of needles and then as Wrong Sides are attached, the stitch gets slipped onto new needles? Yikes, I just can't figure how to set this up.

Hope you don't mind replying - I really appreciate the help!

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  1:20:46 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
Because you need to use a provisional cast on for the edging it would be best to use a dpn or straight needle to cast on the stitches for the edging. Then you will knit back and forth from the dpn or straight needle to the stitches on the circular needle.

Actually once you get past the first couple of rows you can just use the other end of the circular needles. You will need to place a marker on the circular needle to separate the main body stitches from the edge stitches. I know it is hard to visualize but once you get going it isn't very difficult.
Go to Top of Page

amsans@msn.com

USA
Posted - 09/16/2006 :  2:24:32 PM  Show Profile Send amsans@msn.com a Private Message
Thank you so very much for reply. I was envisioning having to use a 2nd circular needle and then the whole stole would eventually be transferred to the new needles.

But from how I understand you now, nothing should be left on the new needle once the new RS row is done because I should go back to working with the original needles, correct?

Anna Marie
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  3:05:10 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
Yes, you will be knitting back and forth so sometimes all the stitches will be on the circular needle that's why you need a marker to separate the main body stitches from the edge stitches. When you get to the point where you knit the last edge stitch together with a stitch from the body, you will have to remove the marker to do that and then replace it.

It's hard to wrap your brain around at first but it does work! It's too bad that there is nowhere on the Web where they show you step by step how to do this because it is hard to understand the first time around. Maybe Eunny will do it at some point.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  05:22:19 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I just finished a knitted on edging. I used a double point with a point protector in one hand, and put another point protector on the unused end of the circular. I just find it easier to use a separate needle. I put a lifeline in the last row if knitting in case I totally screwed up. This had the added benefit of eliminating the need for the marker. When I got to the stitch with the lifeline in it I knew it was a body stitch. Once you do a couple rows you will see what you are doing and it will make sense. It's a very cool thing as you don't end up with a too tight bind off interfering with your blocking.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by