Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hooray, it's finished!
 Finished (almost), Done With, Gone
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mljan
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:01:37 PM  Show Profile Send mljan a Private Message
Well, I finished my first sweater from The Purl Stitch. I probably should keep that to myself, because the result really isn't Sally Melville's fault. I really was doing it for practice, with cheap acrylic variegated worsted.
What I learned?
I needed the practice.
A bad swatch is the same as no swatch.
My gauge hasn't really settled down enough. I probably should check my gauge more often.
I really hate cheap variegated for clothing. The striping is harsh and unlovely.
This thing weighs a ton. No way I could ever wear anything knit from worsted in Southern California. Not even in winter.
I sewed all the seams on the left side so that I could try it on.
Oh my heavens. Too wide, too short, and ugly? The only person who could wear it would be very wide and very short, and this would make her look much wider and shorter.
Think Michelan Man wearing horizontal stripes.

The good news?
Today was trash day. ;)

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3995 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:31:25 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Based on the lessons you learned, you definitely got your money's worth out of this project.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:44:07 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Mljan -- you are too funny. Like Donna said, it sounds like you got your money's worth in lessons -- and improved your local landfill in the process. I'm curious -- which pattern did you make? I like a lot of the styles in that book, but often have thought they look a little too short and too wide. If i made one, i'd probably have to add to the length a bit. Hope you find some yarn you like better for your next project.
Happy knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page

tiennie
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit tiennie's Homepage Send tiennie a Private Message
Oh but your first sweater is done! I say congrats just for that!

Happy knitting or knit 'til you're happy! - tiennie
http://www.tiennieknits.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  5:00:02 PM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message
Maybe it turned out poorly, but your experience is priceless :-)
The next one will be better. Keep knitting....

Ceci

Aw, gee, c'mon and see: http://knittinreed.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mljan
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  5:40:29 PM  Show Profile Send mljan a Private Message
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I do plan to try again, but I need to check around for some warm weather patterns and yarns, preferably cotton blends.
Claire, the pattern I made was the first sweater in the Purl book, called The Simple Cardigan. I now see that she says in the description that it is short and wide!! The sleeves are drop shoulder and end up with a lot of fabric in the underarm area. I think I'll stick to set-in sleeves.
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  7:18:19 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Yup, that's one of the sweaters i was thinking i would add about 4" to if i made it. One of the lessons i am still learning -- if a particular style or design feature doesn't look good on me in ready-made clothing, it's not going to look any better in a hand-knit. Good luck with your next sweater!
claire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?