Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Knitting with strips of cloth
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

schallman
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  6:42:32 PM  Show Profile Send schallman a Private Message
I just started a bag with strips of cotton cloth. amazinly it really locks good and easy. I will post a picture when it's finished.
my new blog is http//schallman.windowslivespaces.com

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I bet it's nice. Years ago I made a sweater with cloth strips and had someone make me a skirt (I don't sew) to match. I may still have that somewhere!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I bet it's nice. Years ago I made a sweater with cloth strips and had someone make me a skirt (I don't sew) to match. I may still have that somewhere!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

2 gud 4 u
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  7:00:40 PM  Show Profile Send 2 gud 4 u a Private Message
that is so cool I have a book called fast knits fast needles...and they have pics with things that they knit with fabric and its really cool ....where did you get your pattern from..I would love to see it when it is done

jersey girl
Go to Top of Page

2 gud 4 u
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  7:00:40 PM  Show Profile Send 2 gud 4 u a Private Message
that is so cool I have a book called fast knits fast needles...and they have pics with things that they knit with fabric and its really cool ....where did you get your pattern from..I would love to see it when it is done

jersey girl
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:35:34 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Some of the niftiest knitting ribbon I ever got at the store was old stock of 1/2 inch rayon seam binding on 100 yard rolls. Found some more a few years ago at Vogue Fabrics in Chicago. Worked on size 11 or 13 KN it is absolutely fabulous.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:35:34 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Some of the niftiest knitting ribbon I ever got at the store was old stock of 1/2 inch rayon seam binding on 100 yard rolls. Found some more a few years ago at Vogue Fabrics in Chicago. Worked on size 11 or 13 KN it is absolutely fabulous.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  07:05:07 AM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
Walmart had these kits now Hobby Lobby has them. Hobby Lobby even has this nifty thingy that cuts the strips. I bought several kits for small handbags and a hat when they were on clearance. The only thing that was a bit annoying was having to sew the strips together. and the little bits of string shed all over the place when knitting.

The finished product is really cool. My favorite knitting bag I morphed from 2 kits into one. It looks like a big knit hat with handles.

Kristin

I'm only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray that I use, and the friends that I have!
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  07:05:07 AM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
Walmart had these kits now Hobby Lobby has them. Hobby Lobby even has this nifty thingy that cuts the strips. I bought several kits for small handbags and a hat when they were on clearance. The only thing that was a bit annoying was having to sew the strips together. and the little bits of string shed all over the place when knitting.

The finished product is really cool. My favorite knitting bag I morphed from 2 kits into one. It looks like a big knit hat with handles.

Kristin

I'm only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray that I use, and the friends that I have!
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I got some of those kits too, Kristin, when they were on sale. But I didn't sew the strips together. I joined them by overlapping them. Here's instructions I found on the web: "Cut a slit lengthwise, about inch from the end of the first strip. The slit should only be large enough to allow the bulk of the next strip to pass through it. Cut a similar slit about inch from the end of the second strip. Bring the UNCUT end of the second strip through the slit of the first strip, and then through the slit in the second strip. Pull the strip snugly to tighten the knot". I didn't have a noticeable bump from the knot. Anyway, that's what I was shown to do when I made the rag sweater mentioned above. Regardless, it's a fun project!

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I got some of those kits too, Kristin, when they were on sale. But I didn't sew the strips together. I joined them by overlapping them. Here's instructions I found on the web: "Cut a slit lengthwise, about inch from the end of the first strip. The slit should only be large enough to allow the bulk of the next strip to pass through it. Cut a similar slit about inch from the end of the second strip. Bring the UNCUT end of the second strip through the slit of the first strip, and then through the slit in the second strip. Pull the strip snugly to tighten the knot". I didn't have a noticeable bump from the knot. Anyway, that's what I was shown to do when I made the rag sweater mentioned above. Regardless, it's a fun project!

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  10:28:20 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
If you cut the strips on the bias, they tend to roll nicely and give you an interesting look.

If you fold a piece of fabric to a near perfec square and press a bias line to follow, you can cut down to nesarly the end, sort of curve around and cut back, never ending your strips.

Sometimes controlling the rotary cutter and mat is a little much. I found that cutting bias strips for knitting worked best for me with good sharp scissors and sitting down.

Cotton knits or blends give a nice texture like suede to the knitted item.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  10:28:20 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
If you cut the strips on the bias, they tend to roll nicely and give you an interesting look.

If you fold a piece of fabric to a near perfec square and press a bias line to follow, you can cut down to nesarly the end, sort of curve around and cut back, never ending your strips.

Sometimes controlling the rotary cutter and mat is a little much. I found that cutting bias strips for knitting worked best for me with good sharp scissors and sitting down.

Cotton knits or blends give a nice texture like suede to the knitted item.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

2 gud 4 u
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  03:19:05 AM  Show Profile Send 2 gud 4 u a Private Message
thats cool I will have to look into all that...I wish we a had a hobby lobby..I have good things about them...instead we just had a brand new A.c.Moore built in our Mall...Well ladies that book I talk about is really great and the patterns are beautiful.....and patterns made to do on big needles.

jersey girl
Go to Top of Page

2 gud 4 u
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  03:19:05 AM  Show Profile Send 2 gud 4 u a Private Message
thats cool I will have to look into all that...I wish we a had a hobby lobby..I have good things about them...instead we just had a brand new A.c.Moore built in our Mall...Well ladies that book I talk about is really great and the patterns are beautiful.....and patterns made to do on big needles.

jersey girl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?