Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 Looking for a pattern for the Breast Cancer Ribbon
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hopeless
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  2:52:54 PM  Show Profile Send hopeless a Private Message
Both my DIL and her mother have breast cancer and I was going to knit them caps and scarfs in Chinchilla. It dawned on me that night that it would really be cool to put the ribbon on them but I googled it and cannot find a pattern for just the logo. Strange to me but I know that one has to exist out there.
The gauge of the Chinchilla is 14 st. over 4" on size 8 needles.
Thanks for any help, I am sure that there is one out there someplace but I sure cannot find it.....
Susan

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  3:37:05 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Lisa Lloyd has a chart for a pink ribbon motif that goes with her pink ribbon socks. I'll caution you, though, that the pattern won't show up if you use Chinchilla...it's too fuzzy. I've used Chinchilla many times and can tell you that you can't tell the difference between a knit and a purl stitch when it's knitted up.

Before you emboss things with the pink ribbon, however, you might ask DIL and her Mom how they feel about it. They might not think it's really cool at all. As a breast cancer survivor, I can tell you from my own experience (and that of every other woman I know with breast cancer) is that I don't want to be a walking advertisement. We're acutely aware of breast cancer and don't need pink ribbons to remind us. The last thing I wanted when I was mostly hairless was to have something on my head that brought attention to it. It's very kind of you to think of them, but ask first just to make sure they think it's as really cool as you do. I wear a pink ribbon pin on my ID at work (I'm a nurse practitioner) during October, but that's the extent of it.

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed: 18
2006 socks completed: 8
WIP: Hearts baby blanket from Fiber Trends

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hopeless
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  3:51:26 PM  Show Profile Send hopeless a Private Message
I was afraid of that when my DIL was first diagnosed. I was out there buying everything that I could find. She was diagnosed in March and frankly, if you are not diagnosed in or around October there are slim pickings.
It finally dawned on me that maybe she would not like to be reminded everyday of her problems. I am sure that she remembered herself.
She has finished all of her chemo, etc and now she has taken that symbol to heart. She has it on her car, keychain, etc. She told me that it has become a sign to her that she has survived the worst part and now she is one her way again.
Do not know how I would feel. Acutally, I thought just what you said about "not being reminded, you already know". I guess that different people use different things to feel better.
Thanks for the advise though, I appreciate it.
You feel so helpless when the people you love are sick and there is nothing that you can do to make them better. I just buy them cheerful little things all of the time and send them in surprise packages. At least they have something to look forward to every time the mail comes. You just never know what might be there!!!!!!
Do you think that the pattern would show up is I did it with ugly large size beads? I am a new knitter and I throw away as much as I actually finish!!!!1
Thanks again,
Susan
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  5:57:37 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Trust me, she IS reminded every day. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not visually and physically reminded of my cancer.

I'm not sure about the beads as I'm not a bead person. I think that if you were to make her something with love, whether it's pink or green or orange, with or without a ribbon logo, she'd love it. Healing comes from love and hope, and that's what's important!

2006 shawls/throws completed: 18
2006 socks completed: 8
WIP: Hearts baby blanket from Fiber Trends

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hopeless
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  03:05:06 AM  Show Profile Send hopeless a Private Message
Thanks, I will just make the cute hats with scarfs in the pink yarn and enough is enough.
The most amazing part of this is that my DIL was only 37 when she was diagnosed and her mother was not diagnosed until AFTER she had completed her 6 months of chemo. I am 62 and seen more than I ever wanted to as far as cancer goes but I thought that it was really strange........ Acutally, I would have "bet the farm" that her mother did not have it as her's was caught on a regular mamogram.
I am so glad to hear that you are doing well now and I do appreciate your help,
Thanks and keep up the good work!!!!!
Susan
P.S. It is almost October so stores seem to be getting their once a year stock of pink ribbon items. I found the cutest pins that are about an inch long. I bought two of them and I am going to just pin them on the scarfs and then they can use them on anything, if they want to.
Thanks again......
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?