Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hooray, it's finished!
 Heritage blanket from Oat Couture
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  2:59:59 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Now that I've finished that Knit Picks shawl, I can get back to some serious knitting!! I started the Oat Couture Heritage blanket on 9/1 and finished it on 9/9 (1300 yards of DK yarn). It's such a gorgeous blankie...I'll make this one again and again!

Photos are on my blog...

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed: 18
2006 socks completed: 8
WIP: Hearts baby blanket from Fiber Trends

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  05:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Very nice!

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Buckeyeknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

364 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  05:58:27 AM  Show Profile Send Buckeyeknitter a Private Message
That is a beautiful baby blanket - I have the pattern but have not gotten around to it yet. And your other shawls are wonderful. I really like the one with the pattern from St Seraphine - looks like a fairly easy pattern but is beautiful in its simplicity

Pam

Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Thanks!!

Pam, all of the St. Seraphina patterns are easy and produce beautiful shawls. Along with Fiber Trends, it's the line I turn to again and again. Oat Couture is climbing on the list, too!

Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  05:29:09 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
Mari, you have given me an idea to make a coverlet for my bed. I like the simplicity of the design. You have made some beautiful blankets for cancer patients and I'm sure they are so appreciated.

Angie
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  3:24:34 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Thanks, Angie!! You could easily add repeats to this blanket and make it any size you wish. It's such a nice pattern and would go with just about everything! They give directions for DK, worsted, and bulky weight yarns, which is very helpful. I'll make this one again for certain.

Go to Top of Page

Rangerfan
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  6:12:41 PM  Show Profile Send Rangerfan a Private Message
Wow Mari!!!
That is some of the most beautiful knitting I've ever seen. You do beautiful work. Love all of it...

Myra
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  07:45:17 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Mari, What thoroughly wonderful website/blog with so many beautiful wraps, shawls and blankets. You have given me so many ideas. I dont thing I could ever make them as fast as you though. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message
Mari,
Your work is absolutely stunning! I love the blanket and the shawls. I'm not sure I'm ready for lace and how hard is that pattern for the blanket?
Robin
Go to Top of Page

shar
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  2:19:29 PM  Show Profile Send shar a Private Message
The blanket is very beautiful. Do you know where I can obtain the pattern without buying the whole book? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message
Great stuff on your blog Mari! You've been busy!
There's nothing like a comfy knitted blanket.

DeAnn
When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  3:43:52 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Thanks everyone!!

Robin, the blanket isn't lace at all...it's just knit and purl. It's really very simple. If you can follow instructions like K3, P3, you're all set!! And the blanket is reversible, too.

Shar, the pattern isn't in a book; you buy just the pattern itself for about $5.50. The Naked Sheep is one of many online stores that carry it.

Also, I've corrected my post above...this pattern is for DK weight, worsted weight, and bulky weight (not sport weight). Sorry 'bout that!

Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  10:41:51 AM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
Shar,

I ordered this blanket myself this morning to make for my newly pregant sister. I saw Mari's beautiful blanket and went straight to the Oat Couture website. they are selling it for $4.50. I called them to see if they would reduce the shipping since I was only ordering the pattern and they obliged. Said they would ship it out today. I am so excited to make this blanket and love that it lists the yarn amounts for different weight yarns.
Mari, your work is so beautiful !!!!

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Hot tip, Cheryl!! You'll love this blanket. The pattern is so simple and produces such great results!

And thanks for your kind words!
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  12:22:18 PM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
Mari,

What yarn did you use for the blanket? I have looked at Debbie Bliss Cashmerino but realized it is probably too fine for this pattern. I would knit forever. I wanted to make it from a washable but soft wool since they live in Wisconsin and could use the warmth. I just finished making a blanket for a co-worker using Plymouth Encore but wanted to make it a little more special for my long-awaited for niece or nephew. However, washability is a big concern for me. I'm just not crazy about making a heirloom quality blanket out of acrylic and cotton would be much too heavy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

MnM
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  12:59:45 PM  Show Profile Send MnM a Private Message
It's beautiful, Mari! :)
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
I used Shepherd Colour 4 Me yarn. It's imported from New Zealand (although it's Australian wool) by Classic Elite Yarns. Unfortunately, Classic Elite is no longer importing this yarn, so it's hard to find.

The cashmerino aran would be great for this blanket, but the Baby Cashmerino would take a long time as it's fingering weight. As for Encore, I think it's a perfect choice for this blanket, especially for it's easy care.

You can use any machine wash wool you wish, really, in either DK or worsted weight (I'm not sure I'd like it in bulky, but the pattern includes instructions for bulky weight). I think that Knit Pick's Swish (worsted weight)would be a good choice. The pattern calls for 1400 yards of DK (which is exactly what I used, but I used a size 7 needle), worsted weight uses 1150 yards (and bulky usues 950 yards. The finished size should be about 38" square, which is nice for a baby.

Mari

Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  1:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
Mari,
I found the Shepherd Colour 4 me on Yarndex.com for $3.95/98yds. so it looks like I can get it-and at a good price. Is it soft? That is what I most worry about besides caring for it. Can this yarn go in the dryer also?

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  2:56:18 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Cheryl, Yarndex doesn't sell yarn, unfortunately. I do know that Ardith Keef carries it, but outside of NZ and Aus, I'm not sure who else does. The label says not to put it in the dryer, which is the case with most superwash wools. Heat and wool often equal shrinkage!

The yarn I used is one I just had on hand...any nice yarn will do! Another choice (and other of my favourite DK yarns) is Cleckheaton's Country 8 ply. WEBS has it in colours that would be good for a baby. It's also superwash and I've used this to make many shawls.
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  3:52:14 PM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
Mari,
Oh.......that's for pointing that out to me. I did see it on Ardith Keef's site. It lists none available but the website says that means it may take 1-2 weeks to get. I don't mind waiting. You didn't say how soft this yarn is. The price looks so good and I like the choice of colors. My sister has already said she will be decorating in vivid colors (turquoise) so I already see a good color to coordinate with.

Thanks,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  4:21:35 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Oh, soft...yes, it's quite soft. It's not as soft as the cashmerino, but it's not the least bit scratchy. I'm making my 4th blanket with that wool and if it weren't suitable for delicate skin, I wouldn't use it. Same for the Cleckheaton...both wash up very nicely (both are superwash, but both must be air dried) and hold up well.

Remember that Classic Elite isn't going to be importing this yarn any more so if they are out of turquoise, you may be out of luck. WEBS does have the Cleckheaton Country 8 ply in turquoise...just in case. Patternworks (www.patternworks.com) also carries Cleckheaton in turquoise as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?