Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 To organize my patterns.......
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  05:15:01 AM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Hi Suzy and Amber - Welcome both of you to this great, friendly forum - I agree with you both - you never know when you are going to need patterns you admire when you first buy a magazine - I never throw out any of mine - I collect toy patterns and they never go out of fashion!!Hope you both have lots of fun meeting new friends here- Happy Knitting - Lucylocket
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  05:29:25 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
I have a tote for nothing but books and magazines. Well used ones that are a faorite remain in an empty chair. Always within easy arm reach.
Yarns I have them in totes - all sock yarn together.
Mitten yarn in another tote.
Cotten in another tote
And then one for alpaca and others.
Scarffan
Go to Top of Page

SheepyHead
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  06:21:53 AM  Show Profile Send SheepyHead a Private Message
I don't have much to add - my patterns are also in sheet protectors in notebooks - each notebook for a certain type of knit. My shawl notebook is the largest, since I am seriously addicted to lace patterns... But I love the idea of the FO notebook! Must organize that!

Carol in Oregon
Go to Top of Page

Rhondaruthc
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  06:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rhondaruthc's Homepage Send Rhondaruthc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bcartercps

In addition to my patterns being sorted by type (socks, hat, etc) I also have a binder of the patterns I've already made, with dividers for each type. This way if I want to make that cute hat I already did for Betty Sue, I can go straight to the "already made" book (which is quite a bit thinner than the other books) and find it there.

~Beth

Like Beth & most everybody else, I keep my patterns in loose leaf binders. One just on Socks ... my favorite and the others aren't anymore organized than by "Baby", "Men", "Children" & "Women". Altho, I just break it down further IF I could find the time to do it. But I want to say, I LOVE Beth's idea of a separate binder for FO's so that I can go BACK & find the pattern I want to use again. Great idea!

Rhonda

Remember: "When you look into a mirror, you are looking at the ONLY person who is responsible for your happiness!" http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/rhondaruthc/images/Rhonda2005May.jpg
Go to Top of Page

sassykathy
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  06:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit sassykathy's Homepage Send sassykathy a Private Message
I do what a lot of others have mentioned. I have numerous 3 ring binders, all with dividers. I have sections such as Sweaters, Outerwear, Bags, etc. I am completely meticulous when it comes to organizing. I even put each pattern into a sheet protector before it gets put in the appropriate binder!

Kathy
http://sassykrafty.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  06:47:08 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message
How about this? To those of you who are computer savvy, how about copying your patterns onto your computer and then transferring them onto a jump drive. Those little devils, which are no bigger than a big cricket, can hold 50 volumes of written material as in encyclopedia. No kidding. I am a writer and I put a trilogy I wrote on it and barely dipped into the jump drive's storage capacity. It holds about one gigabyte of information I think and the cost is under $35. Also you then have all of your patterns, notes, etc in one place waiting for your quick retrieval. I'm just beginning to create a "pattern and how-to" library and have transferred a lot of stuff I got off the Internet onto my little cricket.
happy knitting

Go to Top of Page

Knitstoyou
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  07:03:51 AM  Show Profile Send Knitstoyou a Private Message
I photocopy the index of each knitting magazine when I receive it and put it into a binder under each magazine heading, eg. Vogue, etc. That way I can just skim through the index sheets to find a pattern. I also highlight (on the photocopy) any patterns in the magazines that I think I might want to knit. I haven't organized my loose patterns other than to put into binders and categories. Patterns off the internet are currently saved on my computer. Several good ideas here that I will use to get my patterns better organized.
Go to Top of Page

jsins
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  07:25:10 AM  Show Profile Send jsins a Private Message
I keep my patterns in page protectors in 3-ring binders. The page protectors also tend to be big enough to hold most knitting magazines so I keep them in binders as well. I need to catalog my needles and notions and find a way to keep them organized. Does anyone have a good system for that?
Go to Top of Page

cshardie
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  07:56:04 AM  Show Profile Send cshardie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mkfromKansas

How about this? To those of you who are computer savvy, how about copying your patterns onto your computer and then transferring them onto a jump drive.

That's pretty much what I've done. All my patterns are on my computer unless they're bound in books. Then I have a backup thumbdrive. If I need a physical copy I can make one and then recycle it once I'm done. Not so good for saving notes, although I can always save them seperately on notepad or something if it's not in a file form I can add them to. It is great for saving space, though, and I don't have much of that.

In this day and age of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act silliness, I'm not sure how perfectly legal it is to make copies of anything.... but I don't pass off the originals to anyone else (I don't even keep them myself if I've got it on my computer) and I don't have copies of anything I'm not allowed to have for free unless I've paid for it. So I'm happy with the ethics of it.
Go to Top of Page

iknitt
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit iknitt's Homepage Send iknitt a Private Message
I have a binder too and all my patterns go into page protectors. I keep my magazines until the next one comes out and then I take the old one and cut out the patterns I'm interested in, along with design ideas, info articles, etc. and throw the rest of the magazine away.

The jump drive idea is brilliant!

~~Lisa, iknitt in Chicago!
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I've done it...I bought two humongous binders and I'm going to sort and organize all the hundreds of patterns I have downloaded and printed into these two binders. Really! I am! Today, because I can't exercise because of the pneumonia injection to my arm yesterday.

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

mfred52@comcast.net
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  1:50:02 PM  Show Profile Send mfred52@comcast.net a Private Message
I started out with a "wallet" style holder, now I'm morphing to plastic page protectors and 3 ring binders for individual patterns, sorta sorted by project.

I also use magazine holders for pattern booklets/magazines. One think I do tho...when I'm reading a magazine and something catches my attention, I mark the page then make a note on the TOC page(s). Then I copy the Cover of the magazine and the TOC and file in a 3 ring binder, sorted by title. This way, there's less looking when I want that cable stitch I can't get out of my mind.

Anybody who can get all that into a database has my deepest admiration. I have enough trouble getting my fibers/yarns into Needle Trax...

Also, FOs go into the regular binder w/notes, copies of the patterns as I don't use originals; I'm sure to destroy the part you just can't fudge....I put my test pieces in w/needle size and suggestions for the next time around...

I'm also one of those "never say never" people. I'll frequently get a pattern because there is just one element that I like. I'll make a note as to what attracted me, so I don't toss it, coz then I'd **absolutely** need it and not be able to find it...

Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  2:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Good grief - I was just thinking about this very thing before I woke up. Like many, I have most all of mine in three ring binders and the binders are more or less sorted by what's in them.

And I should spread it all out so I can see what I have, what I'm never going to use, and really organize it.

Maybe if we all go round helping each other we can get things done. I'll supply brownies! You are all invited to my Sorting Party and, of course, I'll help you, too.

Margie (dreamer)
Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  5:38:32 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
3-ring binders and page protectors for me too; along with dividers from the office supply store. Divide projects by category and label noebooks; makes pattern browsing so much quicker and simpler.
anotherbev
Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
Wow...what a topic...I have black binders donated and stuff is stuffed, but then again, I'm organizationally challenged...this will have to change (starting today, I swear!) and then everything in my house will be whiz-bang clean and already pre-knit![!]

Out of every 10 people polled, 14 prefer chocolate!--Sandra Boynton

Go to Top of Page

DogMomKnitter
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile Send DogMomKnitter a Private Message
Well, being a dog trainer, if I find a pattern that has a mistake that has me frogging, I will use those as potty pads for my puppy clients.

HA! Gotcha! (okay, I've thought about it, but never did it...)

Actually, I'm a fan of using 3-ring binders along with sheet protectors (the ones that you can slide the paper into). My collection is not extensive enough for more than one binder (yeah, I'm just starting, really), but I like the idea about using different binders for different types of projects.

My main thing is that when I get a knitting magazine, after rabidly devouring its articles, I look at the patterns that I like, rip em out of the magazine, and in they go into the sheet protector. I like to number the pages of the patterns (you know how they start out in the main part of the magazine and continue on in the end...) so that I don't get lost (which I'm quite good at). If the pattern has a big picture of the finished product, that's what I make sure shows through the sheet protector. It's easier for me when I leaf through the projects (oooh! pretty!!!).

... now if I could just train my goldens to use a ball winder, I'd be set....

Go to Top of Page

evergreen514@sbcglobal.net

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  7:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send evergreen514@sbcglobal.net a Private Message
I just read everyone's ideas for organizing patterns. It is amazing how many people store them the same way... I also use plastic sleeves, tabs for type of project and put them into binders. I did make up a project sheet ( mostly copied from a knitting journal) and made lots of copies of it. When I finish something I fill it out with all the pertinent info, including a photo printed on my computer, and file it along with the pattern. This was I can write all my notes on the project sheet,instead of writing on teh patterns, but it's right there when I want to make it again.
JK
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  8:20:05 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
I don't buy a lot of separate patterns. But a good half o my tall knitting & needlework bookcase is full of magazines, some going back 20 years. Styles go in and out, and they're always a source of inspiration. Periodically the magazines get organized into cardboard magazine boxes, but then I get sudden, middle-of-the-night urges to rummage through them in search of some kind of pattern that I remember seeing all over and can't find. Then they end up in a big, constantly growing pile on the chair by the bookscase. Never have been able to actually sit there.

I'm much more organized about FOs. They go into clear plastic pockets in a 3 ring binder with my notes, the yarn band, and sometimes the gauge swatch. But the binder is getting hard to close.

Downloaded patterns are easy too--they're organized by type of project. I have also started keeping a running list of FOs and WIPs on the computer. But I don't have a whole lot of them yet.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

fibreon
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  04:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Send fibreon a Yahoo! Message Send fibreon a Private Message
I have my single sheets in note books by topic. My technique books are in my office for quick reference. The patterns and books I have a current project in mind and the yarn stashed are also on that bookshelf. The problem I have is that the "current" projects are growing so fast I will be knitting for 10 years to get caught up. I just bought new patterns and yarn this week with the yarn! So many great new books and you just have to have the yarn to go with them.
What an addiction.

Kay Wagner
Danbury CT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth