Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Aunt's Knitting Dilemma-please advise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Debby Abrahams
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile Send Debby Abrahams a Private Message
My grandniece, age 5, has asked me to make her a new baby blanket, just like the one she has worn to rags.

Well, it was made from a fingering weight baby superwash wool, made on a standard gauge punchcard knitter, and made from a pain-in-the-butt pattern, and I have since abandoned that pattern in favor of Encore mitred squares and other fast knitting patterns.

I went shopping, and found a nice, soft, nylon yarn that I will knit by hand, and sent the niece a test swatch to see if she would be willing to accept a new design.

I have not heard from her yet, but the problem is my husband, who says I should give her what she asked for. My reply: too many projects, too little time. If she wants another baby blanket, she gets what I want to knit (we both have to be happy).

Knitters, what would you do?

Thanx!

Happy Knitting!
Debby

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  3:21:35 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Mention that was a baby blanket and now you will knit her a big girl blanket. She is not a baby anymore. That is what I do for my gd. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't! It won't hurt to try and good luck.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
And maybe make her a quick toy or a sweater or scarf for her favorite stuffed animal or doll from the same yarn? Or a color that goes with the blanket yarn?

sja
Go to Top of Page

pkee
Chatty Knitter

222 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  09:15:11 AM  Show Profile Send pkee a Private Message
He's right and wrong. My daughter. nearly 5, wanted me to knit a sweater just like the one that she outgrew. I sat down w/ her and asked if she'd like to help design a sweater or go through pattern books with me. She did. Instead of a lacy cardigan, she opted for a hoodie w/ kangaroo pockets. At this stage, she doesn't know what options exist. Show her what you enjoy working on. You may be surprised.

OTOH, my other daughter (twins) she rigidly stuck to her original repeat request but in bright yellow. At least I've taken her mind off of the PINK buttons that she wanted with it.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  09:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
I like Zola's suggestion. Five year olds like to be considered big kids. Of course, all kids are different. She might not mind the pattern change if she likes the color and feel of the yarn.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
or my shop
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  10:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I agree with the knit her a big girl blanket instead of a baby blanket theory. She should buy it because she probably wants to be thought of as a big girl.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
I agree with the "big girl blanket" approach, but would add this. If it's possible, have her help you pick a pattern and the yarn. Narrow it down to a few choices first - i.e. don't take her to a yarn shop and sit her down in front of a big binder filled with afghan patterns! But show her two or three to choose from.

I found that my daughter had very clear ideas about her preferences at that age, and it was very helpful to give her some kind of (constrained) choice.

But something you said made me think that you live some distance from her, so that might not be possible. If not - I don't think it's a huge deal, just something to do if possible.
Go to Top of Page

Debby Abrahams
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  06:37:20 AM  Show Profile Send Debby Abrahams a Private Message
Thanks to all for your input. I notice no one has said, "Give her what she asks for" and I am relieved.

Happy Knitting!
Debby
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  8:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
I just have to say, I think its s cute that she appreciates what you knit and wants you to knit more for her.

And I agree that changing the pattern would be a good idea. Give her 2-3 choices as for pattern and color.

-----
http://www.midnightskyfibers.com Handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits. Vegetarian and environmentally friendly!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe