Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Mason-Dixon Kimono Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  12:16:15 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message
I need to make two of these kimonos. I would like to use some mercerized cotton yarn or some other kind of yarn besides the dishcloth type. Question 1: Any particular yarn suggestions? Has anyone tried Bunny Hop? Question 2: I know from a blog that there is enough in two skeins of Blue Sky cotton for a kimono and booties. Does that mean that I can get 2 kimonos out of 3 skeins? I have no LYS, so I have to order everything.

http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com

ghk
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  12:41:45 PM  Show Profile Send ghk a Private Message
Haven't tried Bunny Hop, but maybe Tahki Cotton Classic?

As for yardage, that's going to depend on your gauge and also whether you're knitting the newborn size or sizing up. Blue Sky cotton does have better than normal yardage, but I'd get an extra skein just in case, you can always make washcloths/facecloths or extra baby booties and hats with leftovers. Besides if you do end up having to order an extra skein online, you'll have to pay shipping cost twice over.
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  1:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
I used some Classic Elite Provence from my stash and liked the results--soft and drapey (it's thinner than the dishcloth cotton, so you might want to go down a needle size). Results on my blog. I think I used just under two 50 g. skeins, so if you're trying to eke out two kimonos I would get four skeins to be safe.

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  2:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message
I love the way your kimono looks. The edging looks great. I also like the idea of a more drapey fabric.

Thanks.

http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:07:40 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
I like your crocheted edge, too, Terri. I hope Jane doesn't mind me asking on her thread, but just to be sure: I want to size up on this kimono for my granddaughter who will be about 9 mos. at Christmas. I also want to use stockinette instead of garter stitch, which Ann and Kay say is no problem. About how many stitches should I add to the cast-ons? 3 or 4? More? And another couple or three rows as well? Since I knit a bit loose, I'll probably use the recommended needles.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:11:32 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HomekeepingGran

I like your crocheted edge, too, Terri. I hope Jane doesn't mind me asking on her thread, but just to be sure: I want to size up on this kimono for my granddaughter who will be about 9 mos. at Christmas. I also want to use stockinette instead of garter stitch, which Ann and Kay say is no problem. About how many stitches should I add to the cast-ons? 3 or 4? More? And another couple or three rows as well? Since I knit a bit loose, I'll probably use the recommended needles.

Oh, I just thought about something. I've already got a bonnet nearly done in Sidar Country Style DK not the same weight at all and planned to give the bonnet and kimono as a set. This definitely affects what I should do. Help!

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13

Blessings,
Carla

Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:13:54 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
Honestly, I don't know how THAT just happened! Weird. I hope that doesn't portend my day!

Blessings,
Carla

Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Hi Carla--

I've only done the kimono in garter stitch, so I'm not sure on the specs on sizing up. However, if you go to the Mason Dixon KAL blog and browse through, you'll see examples of the kimono in stockinette and will find a friendly bunch willing to give advice.

Hope this helps and knit on--

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  3:58:39 PM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
Thanks, Terri. I've seen the MD KAL some, but my slow modem won't bring in all those pictures, though I can read it. Too, I've never figured out how to post there, even after poking around yesterday. I may write Kay or Ann with apologies for bothering them, at least to ask how to post. As far as changing to stockinette goes, their book says you can make it in garter or stockinette with no problem. I think most people use garter because that's what the picture is.

After I looked at what I have a bit more, I realized I have already swatched the DK yarn up into the correct gauge, so it's merely a matter of how much to add onto the cast-ons and rows for sizing up. The reason I'm so insistent about this yarn and about stockinette is that I just finished a baby bonnet in DK I want to match it and make as a set. The bonnet is the sweet, simple one from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.

Blessings,
Carla

Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  05:49:25 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
As per your suggestion, Terri, I went back to the MD KAL. In the May archives someone has posted a request for directions to size up and someone else answered her in the comments with the specifics. I happily printed them out. Thanks for the push to check there again. I think it's going to work fine, although mine won't look a lot like everyone else's. But I have a loooonggg history of changing sewing patterns, so why should knitting be any different?

Blessings,
Carla

Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  09:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
I'm glad you found it, Carla...now knit on! Here's the link on sizing up for anyone else who's searching.

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  09:56:20 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message
I'm so depressed! I just finished this Kimono for my new granddaughter and it's going to be too small! It's the first sweater I've ever completed and I had lots of trouble figuring it out. I must have ripped it out 5 or 6 times. I guess I'm still a rank beginner knitter. Oh well, maybe next time...
Robin[:((]
Go to Top of Page

Brvfan
Chatty Knitter

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brvfan's Homepage Send Brvfan a Private Message
I made the kimono out of Opal sock yarn. I thought with a long sleeve top under it the yarn will be fine for a baby. I loved the way it striped. Here is a picture.
http://www.theyarngrove.com/albums/album_image/3603027/1059070.htm

The next one is going to be out of Kona Bay cotton...softest cotton ever. Granddaughter due in December

Debby

http://www.theyarngrove.com
http://theyarngrove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by