Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Neck bind off question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JenG
Chatty Knitter

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  12:31:05 PM  Show Profile Send JenG a Private Message
I've been working on a sweater pattern with a keyhole neckline. To do the front, I had to knit 17 inches, then on one row, knit across 43 sts, bind off one stitch (for the keyhole opening), then knit across the remaining 43 stitches. So I ended up with two separate sections for the front, worked at the same time. Now that the keyhole opening is 3" long, I need to start my neck bind off.

The pattern says, starting with a right side row, bind off 9 sts on each side, then 3 sts, etc. My question is, since both parts of the front are separate, how do I bind off evenly? To do the bind off for the first section, I'd have to knit across the 34 sts, then bind off 9 sts. I'd be stuck on the next row. Do I wait to do the bind off when I start the next row and bind off those stitches on the wrong side? I'm very confused and hope I haven't confused everyone else!

Dottie Mae
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  12:38:28 PM  Show Profile Send Dottie Mae a Private Message
It's a bit hard to visualize your problem, but I think you are dealing with the issue of direction in bind off which happens at necks and shoulders. There will always be about a 1 row difference in bind offs on two halves of a garment. This will not show in the finished sweater. It happens because you can't bind off toward a neck opening and end up with that one bind off stitch left dangling all alone. You have to wait to bind off until you go the opposite direction on the next row. I hope I've answered your question.
Go to Top of Page

JenG
Chatty Knitter

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  7:28:41 PM  Show Profile Send JenG a Private Message
Thanks for trying to answer my question, Dottie. I had a feeling my message was a bit confusing, but you have explained it to me pretty well. So when I do the next row, I'll simply knit the one side of the front first completely, and when I start the other side, I'll do the bind off as indicated in the pattern. Then on the next row, I don't do any bind off on the piece I just worked, but do bind off on the one that I fully worked the last time around, correct? God, that still sounds convoluted! Hopefully that's it, though! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  8:31:29 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Read your pattern and decide if your decreases are for the neckline or the armhole. Now look at your knitting and you will automatically know where to put them.

A secret most knitters learn is that bind offs are usually one row apart on most sweaters, but the only people who notice are the ones who sit down and count the rows.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.