Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Mohair
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  06:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message
I am making a scarf with a mohair yarn that was passed on to me. The label called for a size 9 needle but that was too challenging for me and I went up to a 13. I was just playing and have decided I like it well enough to finish. When the scarf is done, are there any special hints for washing and blocking mohair? Does the fuzziness mat up or will it spring back? It is a pattern from Scarf Style and it was easy enough to remember for a road trip I am on without having to drag the book out in the car.

Thanks in advance!

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  9:21:25 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
I recently finished my Misty Garden if that's the one you're doing?

What I've read is that it's okay to just spritz and pin mohiar to block. I personally have a thing that I have to wash things first. Just my own oddity.

I put mine in the sink with some knit wash & cool water (& gently pressed). Then drained, rinsed again with a dab of condition to try to help with the "itchiness" factor that plagued me the whole time.

It's funny, I can drape this scarf on the inside of my arm and it feels soft, but touching it to my neck, and even when I was knitting it with my hands, I would get so itchy, it almost feels like little electric zings! Me + Mohair = incompatiable.[:((]

I then just press rolled in a towel and pinned to block. (Which came out pretty sloppy because I just wanted to be done with the itchy fingers thing.) Mine came out just fine, no matting or anything. The Jo Sharp is fluffy already and it stayed the same.

There is something "soothing" about this pattern, there had to be to keep me going with all the maladies it caused me! [:00]

Enjoy and show us your FO!

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page

weB2cats
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  11:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Send weB2cats a Yahoo! Message Send weB2cats a Private Message
Wash? I tend to not wash garments but keep my hands meticulously clean while knitting. I don't snack, drink coffee or have the cat nearby so as to not stain or mar the yarn. Once a garment gets washed, it's never the same. Mohair is a tricky yarn in that it's so fuzzy. I knit a beautiful rust-colored mohair sweater in an Aran pattern once. Unfortunately, it was so itchy I simply could not bear to wear it again. Instead, it is now a beautiful piece of artwork, encased and on the wall in the knitting section of my office. I still get to enjoy it everyday
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  7:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Mohair can felt easily so I would just soak the scarf, maybe in Eucalan if you have some, this way you won't need to rinse it. Just press it gently on the inside of the sink to eliminate as much water as possible and/or roll it in a dry towel to help to dry it, then let dry flat somewhere.

Alternatively, you could wash it with a little bit of shampoo and add a dab of hair conditioner in the final rinse to help soften the mohair somehow. It will be matted when wet but should become fluffy again when dry.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  2:30:24 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
A good grade of mohair can be perked up nicely with a natural bristle hair brush. Don't get all B & D on it, but light teasing with th4 hair brush will bring the hair back up nicely.

Fulling and lanolin will help with the pridkles. Buying a better grade is the only total solution though. I would never buy a yarn I hadn't felt up thoroughly. I rub it on my face, particularly on the upper lip (t has a name) just below the nose. It'ss the most sensitive spot on your body (almost). If it doesn't itch or prickle there, it won't itch or prickle anything.
Llinn
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
quote Originally posted by weB2cats
>Once a garment gets washed, it's never the same.

I beg to differ!! Just here on the forum you'll find lots of useful tips and advice on how to wash handknits and preserve their beauty!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe