Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 Using a source to write patterns?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hakucho
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  06:29:42 AM  Show Profile Send hakucho a Private Message
I recently took out Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns out of the library and saw so many wonderful stitch patterns. They truely are inspirational! I was wondering, can you use her stitch patterns in the pattern you write, provided you give her credit in the pattern or do you have to ask her permission first?

Thanks,

hakucho
http://hakucho.blogspot.com/

Wonk
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  3:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wonk's Homepage Send Wonk a Private Message
I was wondering the same thing. I've seen patterns in VK that have used some of her charts, and acknowledge her in the design. Anyone have any tips on how this would work?

Thanks.

Wonk
http://wonkknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  5:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I write a "references" section in my patterns and include the place I found stitch patterns there.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

hakucho
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:02:57 AM  Show Profile Send hakucho a Private Message
I wrote an email to schoolhouse press about using Barbara Walker's stitch patterns in my own patterns. Thought they might give me insight on the proper way to do it. I'm waiting for their reply.

I would assume that as long as you give credit where credit is due you would be ok, but these days one never knows.

When and if I hear back from them I'll let you know. :)

hakucho
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
Barbara Walker does not purport to have invented the stitch patterns in those wonderful books, she compiled them. You will find identical & similar stitch patterns in many other older sources, and in antique textile collections. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

hakucho
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  06:51:04 AM  Show Profile Send hakucho a Private Message
I just received an email from Meg of schoolhouse press. This was her response to my question about using one of Barbara Walker's stitch patterns in a pattern I may write in the future:

"When you wish to use one of Barbara G. Walker's designs, please write
and tell me which pattern(s) - from which book(s).

I appreciate that you have enquired in advance."

I'm am very happy I wrote this email and I certainly will contact her when and if I write a pattern using stitch patterns in the book.

I would assume that in general contacting the author or publisher is the thing to when in doubt.

Now I just have to find a way to get more knitting done in my day. :)

Happy Knitting :)

hakucho
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  08:04:45 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hakucho

I just received an email from Meg of schoolhouse press. This was her response to my question about using one of Barbara Walker's stitch patterns in a pattern I may write in the future:

"When you wish to use one of Barbara G. Walker's designs, please write
and tell me which pattern(s) - from which book(s).

I appreciate that you have enquired in advance."

I'm am very happy I wrote this email and I certainly will contact her when and if I write a pattern using stitch patterns in the book.

I would assume that in general contacting the author or publisher is the thing to when in doubt.

Now I just have to find a way to get more knitting done in my day. :)

Happy Knitting :)

hakucho

But aren't you wanting to use just the stitch pattern- not the whole design?? To me, that is 2 separate things. But I may be wrong. KL
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  09:18:43 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
The stitch patterns themselves are not copyrightable (is that a word?) as I understand it. As Sarah pointed out, most of the patterns are traditional and appear in other stitch collections. Any of the text that accompanies the patterns is however copyrighted.

I think it is a nice courtesy to give credit to Ms. Walker and Schoolhouse Press in any case. The fact that many patterns obviously use the patterns from her books without giving credit would seem to indicate that it is not a legal responsibility since I am sure most publishers take copyright law seriously.
Go to Top of Page

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  10:42:28 AM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message
Your question reminds me of the rules for citation in academia. So here we go... I needed to be distracted from writing a research proposal ;-)

It is always polite to cite the book/text that supplied inspiration to your own design when publishing. And it does not make your design less valuable nor less unique, because it was you who put all the pieces together for a new design.

I am a researcher and publish papers in scietific, peer-reviewed journals. 2-3 other scientists have to read my paper to check that I my results are realiable and not stolen from someone else.

If I get inspired by another groups (published) work, then I MUST give a reference to it (journal, year, page etc). Say I got an idea of how to synthesise a compound or build an instrument from some one else, but 90% of the final product was my work. Then I would still have to reference that paper in my paper. Otherwise, the reviewers of the paper may notice it. If I do that too often, the citation police will knock on my door and I be in deep trouble...

If I want to use a specific figure from e.g. a textbook or another paper, I must ask permission from the copyright holder to use the figure prior to publishing.

To translate to knitting patterns to be published:
If you get inspiration say from browsing through BW books, then state that's where you found the inspiration and the specific patterns. If you are getting inspiration from published work esp If you want to use a chart from another book, then you should probably ask for permission. - corresponds to a figure IMHO. By citing other books, patterns, web pages etc for inspiration gives credit to those people who did the work.
And it is still your unique work
- later people may cite getting inspired by your work and add to your reputation as a designer :-)

Go to Top of Page

hakucho
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  12:47:38 PM  Show Profile Send hakucho a Private Message
Vanadia,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about the "rules for citation". I am very new at writing patterns and I certainly want to do my best at doing it the correct way. It's been a very long time since I wrote a research or any kind of paper. Your infomation is very helpful to me.
Thanks so much!

Happy knitting :)

hakucho
Go to Top of Page

dreamin darlene
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  10:16:48 PM  Show Profile Send dreamin darlene a Private Message
Where I work ( state government ) every other employee is a lawyer. I asked about this at the office today.
The consensus is that instructions for knitting specific pattern stitches are not subject to copyright. Directions to be followed while knitting a specific design are subject to copyright.
Courtesy is one thing. Legal obligation is another. The consensus is that no legal obligation exists to credit the author of a book which gives instruction in knitting a specific pattern stitch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe