Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Thomas the Tank Pattern Search for Christmas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitwitgenie
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:04:43 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitgenie a Private Message
I am knitting 2 "Wonderful Wallaby" hooded sweaters for my 2 grandsons for Christmas. There is a pouch on the front where they can stick their hands. I want to put a Thomas the Tank of one of the pouches and Percy on the other, but I cannot find a pattern in this country. There are some for sale on EBay from the United Kingdom, but I am at the point where I really need them now and not a month from now. Do any of you have a pattern that you would be willing to share or sell to me. I would be a very very happy grandmother if you did. Thanks a lot

Genie
aka knitwitgenie

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:10:53 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I thought Thomas was a train and where did you get the Wonderful Wallaby patterns?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

knitwitgenie
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitgenie a Private Message
Zola - Lost my p/w sign-in stuff for Knitters so had to start all over today....ugh!!! "The Wonderful Wallaby" comes in an adorable book form from Cottage Creations in Carpenter, Iowa. They do not have an internet site or a phone number printed on the booklet. I bought the little book from our local shop for 6.95. It gives you GREAT instructions plus patterns for children sizes 2-12 and adult sizes petite through super size. It is the BEST pattern I have found in years. If I remember correctly, I think I went online and googled Cottage Creation patterns, and I got a shop/site that offers all the booklets for sale over the net...and they were cheaper than what I had to pay locally. You will love the pattern...plus there is a kitchner stitch instruction I had never known before...about what you do with the first 2 stitches: Thread an 18 inch yarn into tapestry needle (N). Insert N as if to Purl in first stitch on front needle, LEAVE STITCH ON NEEDLE, insert N as if to Knit in first stitch on back needle, LEAVE STITCH ON NEEDLE. Then you proceed as you have in the past. Maybe you already knew about this technique, but not even the owner of our local shop was familiar with it. It makes a smooth, wonderful start. Hope this helps you out.

Genie
aka knitwitgenie
Go to Top of Page

knitwitgenie
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:44:34 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitgenie a Private Message
Zola...Thomas is a train, but on the book title page it is called Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends....I forgot to put on the "engine" part....oops...

Genie
aka knitwitgenie
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I just posted something in the thread for the woman looking for a pattern of a kangaroo. The same technique will work for a pattern for Thomas the tank engine and I know there are a lot of images of it on the net.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitwitgenie
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitgenie a Private Message
Thanks, Fran...I will give it a try...I AM DESPERATE

Genie
aka knitwitgenie
Go to Top of Page

knitwitgenie
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  11:35:29 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitgenie a Private Message
Fran...where exactly did you post the info about the kangaroo...I can't find it...and I feel so dumb

Genie
aka knitwitgenie
Go to Top of Page

VioletKnits
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  12:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit VioletKnits's Homepage  Send VioletKnits a Yahoo! Message Send VioletKnits a Private Message
do you think you could modify an existing train chart to look like thomas? i'm sure you could find a basic train chart online, but there is also a good one in the book 1000 knitting motifs. or, you could try making your own chart. good luck!

Knit it, Violet!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  2:11:54 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
In a nutshell, here are the directions to produce a knittable image.

Get a copy of the image you want and save it on your computer so you have access to it. Play with it to get the size you want.
I get them from ask.com. just click on images on the right hand column and type in what image you are looking for. Here is a link I used for thomas the tank engine. It will give you 10 pages of images.

http://images.ask.com/pictures?q=Thomas+the+tank+engine&qsrc=2072&tool=img

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/transportation/images/fthomas.gif

Now go to this page,

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

select a 5 by 7 image to get it in proportion for knitting, browse and upload your image.
Run the program. It will print out for you a graph that can be followed for knitting the picture.

I also like using coloring book images because you can color them yourself and reduce the total number of colors needed.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.