Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 cutest idea for a little girl
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  8:47:35 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
While knitting outside today at a coffee house, we got into a conversation with a passerby. She came back to share an item that she bought at a craft show yesterday.

It's a little crocheted purse and when you turn in inside out it becomes a doll bed and there's a little doll tucked into a blanket. At first when she started to turn it inside out we thought it was going to convert to a hat(which would be another great idea.)

Anyone seen this cute toy?

Vicki near Seattle

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  11:50:24 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
It's been around since at least the 60's. I've been packing stuff for our move and last went found a big stack of patterns from my grandmother who died in 1982. She had one of those folded up paper patters for the pocketbook doll and the plainer blanket baby she had sent for from a newspaper. (The used to print ads for crochet and knit patterns in the back of the paper years ago) I think it was marked $.35 or it might have been 50 cents. Either way, I remember her making them for my littler cousins when I was a teenager during the 60's.
They used to be made over the bottoms of bleach bottles or similar sized jugs. Crafters nearly went into spasms back in the 80's when Ivory Liquid changed their bottle shape. It used to be perfect for doll bodies and there were several plastic and bisque heads that were sold that went on the different size plastic bottles. You made the dress and used bought arms and head, then filled the bottle with sand so it wouldn't fall over easily.

There used to be a lot of patterns for 2 sided babies too. You crocheted two heads and two upper bodies then sewed them together end to end. At the waist would be a full skirt. One face would be embroidered happy and the other crying. Little kids seemed to like them a lot, but remember we didn't have the kind of predigested entertainment then.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
We had one of those double-ended dolls! One end was little Red Riding Hood and the other end was the Big Bad Wolf in Granny's nightgown and bed cap.

Quite gruesome, now I come to think of it. But then, most fairy stories were, weren't they? They didn't call them the Brothers Grimm for nothing!

Eclair
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  07:10:41 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I had the Red riding hood/big bad wolf doll. The American version of the Grimm stories are tame compared to the original German tale.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:31:45 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Hmm, never had seen or heard of the purse dolls before, Llin, and we're close in age.

Jean Greenhowe has books of the double sided dolls. I believe she calls them Topsey Turvy dolls. By the time I have the time to try one, my granddaughter will have outgrown them.

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  2:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I used to make them and another one where there was a baby head with a blanket attached and you put your fingers in the baby's head and it made a puppet. I crocheted them.

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  4:30:11 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
sounds cute, Jamye

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  8:07:02 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
I can't remember the name of the series, but back in the 80's there was a leaflet or small book manufacturer that had all the bazaar type patterns.

For the purse baby, you made a bed and lining that fit into the bleach bottle bottom, then poked holes around the edge and crocheted all around till it was long enough to look like a bassinet ruffle. The a drawstring went through the edge of that. Gather it up and you had your purze. Very simple.

I've gpt a trocl memory. Some stuff never goes away.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  8:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I had two of those. I had to give one up when we moved from Ontario than my grandmother sent me one that Christmas. I had to replace my dollie a few times. There was a hobby store near me that had the right size mini doll for the new jugs too.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

Jenny B.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny B. a Private Message
I have searched a number of times for this exact pattern - a purse that turns into a doll. Does anyone have it? Knit or crochet, I don't care, I would be sooooooo happy to get my hands on it. Please email me if you've got it.

Thx

Jenny B.
Go to Top of Page

bigeyeblue
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigeyeblue's Homepage Send bigeyeblue a Private Message
Hey please post the pattern if you have it! I too had the little red riding hood version and thought it was the best toy ever.

Eleni

http://www.holyknitbatman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jenny B.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  08:45:10 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny B. a Private Message
Okay. Here are some options:

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/images/purcrapic1-1.jpg

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/baspur.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320022812610

J.

Jenny B.
Go to Top of Page

kcholm
Chatty Knitter

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  3:48:53 PM  Show Profile Send kcholm a Private Message
Here's another pattern that's really cute, from the Knitting Vault which is kind of a pattern-writer collective.

http://www.theknittingvault.com/display.asp?ID=252
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  7:07:52 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
thanks, that is so cute.
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  8:53:48 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
This thread has tickled me no end! When my oldest was born, 1972, a friend gave me one of these for my daughter. Subsequetially, my MIl copyied it into a crochet pattern for her church crafts group.

-- Mean Mama

Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  07:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eclair

We had one of those double-ended dolls! One end was little Red Riding Hood and the other end was the Big Bad Wolf in Granny's nightgown and bed cap.

Quite gruesome, now I come to think of it. But then, most fairy stories were, weren't they? They didn't call them the Brothers Grimm for nothing!

Eclair

I had one of those, too. It was really old, I'm not sure whose it was first, but I really liked it. I bet my dd would love a purse doll. She carries some baby or toy every where we go, I think!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
or my shop
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  1:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Grandma spent 35 cents for a pattern around 1960 she made up for my cousins and little sister. She sent for it from the ad that ran about every week in the newspaper. There'd be a little display ad, couple of column inches, in the home section on Sunday and Grandma sent for quite a few. They came on huge single sheets of paper that were folded all kinds of odd ways you had to unfold and read to follow the instructions with some fairly bad hand drawn illustrations.

I don't know if that was the first incarnation of those dolls or if some unknown lady had circulated the pattern and the newspaper pattern people just printed up their own version.

I'm nearly certain that Annie's Attic had a version back in the 70s to go along with the baby bootie boutique and the crocheted birds. There were 5 or 7 books in a series from a small pattern house in the 80s I carried that had all the bazaar giftie stuff. They had the L'eggs egg humpty dumpty and the double sided potholders and the infamous crocheted turkey pin/magnet.

People viewed pattern copyrights a whole heap differently then than now. So it's really hard to track the origin of a lot of these patterns.

Even into the 80s there were a lot of patterns that just swamped the industry and that never got printed at all. One was the original "condo sweater" it used one size 9 and one size 15 and was a sleeve to sleeve dolman. Stores all over the northeast were passing the pattern out, but no one ever seemed to know where it started.

Same thing for the round tablecloth shrug (a circle with sleeves), but that we did eventually find in an early sixties Ladies Home Journal special (I think) in the crocheted version. The knitted version seemed to appear like fungus--it spread everywhere.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  9:13:16 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
Good memories! I had one in the 70's when I was a kid. I loved carrying around my purse/baby bassinet! I wish I still had it but having a big brother it was probaby buried in our back yard along with my barbies.

I made some for my girls a year or so ago but crocheted them. I didn't use a dishsoap bottle bottom as there are many different patterns out there.

I remember at that time my mom was making those crocheted rings with the beads on top out of really thin string. Those were cool too! I just love the good ol days!

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.