Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 Knitting with Beads
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EliotsSocks
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:30:33 AM  Show Profile Send EliotsSocks a Private Message
When designing patterns that incorporate beads... do you normally have the knitter prestring the beads or add them one at a time with a crochet hook? Personally, I use a crochet hook, but I think this technique might be too fiddly for the people buying the patterns (eventually!).

What's your experience?

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  08:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
I have only tried both methods once each, and I will be highly unlikely to ever string the beads on in advance ever again. Ever.

Gimmee a crochet hook (or dental floss -- thanks, KR colleagues!) any time.

And I prefer the way the beads stay put with the crochet hook method -- but I may have been doing it wrong on the string 'em all up in advance method. But they kept moving to the back of the work.

Diane in Chicago

Felted Handbag Workshop
Home of the Little Coco Bag
and Felted Millinery Workshop, too!
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  08:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I think it could depend on how many beads we are talking about. I have done it both ways and like the look both ways.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

TaraGel
Chatty Knitter

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  7:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit TaraGel's Homepage Send TaraGel a Private Message
I'm attempting my first beaded shawl right now and I would never want to string the beads first. I'm using the crochet hook method and it's so easy that I feel very comfortable adding beads to whatever I like now.

Check out my knits!
http://Knitknack.Etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EliotsSocks
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  10:14:48 AM  Show Profile Send EliotsSocks a Private Message
Thanks for your feedback! I think for small quantities, the crochet hook is the way I'll go for my pattern... larger quantities make sense to be strung first.

Happy Knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Beenispired
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  8:18:11 PM  Show Profile Send Beenispired a Private Message
Where can I find info on how to use the crocet method?
Colleen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?