Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Hello and a question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  11:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message
Hello to all,

I stumbled across the knitter's review a couple of days ago and needless to say, the productivity in many areas of my life has come to a grinding halt

After reading a few posts on the forum I figured that I could add to many of them and decided to wrap it all up in this post!

A few weeks ago I bought some yarn off ebay. I thought I would try to find some unique small scale stuff that is not available in the store. I found some English Leceister, one lot hand dyed, described as blue and the green, the colour of the sea (4ply - fingering), one lot plain 4 ply and one lot plain 8ply (sport weight I think in American-ese).

When it arrived I was surprised as to how much 1.2 kg of yarn actually is and the colour of the hand dyed yarn. The photo on ebay was much lighter than the actual colour. It is a blue/green mix but I was expecting a more ocean teal colour (like the shallow water at a beach). However, I've grown to like it. Another thing about buying yarn off ebay - you can't touch it, smell it (yes I do that too), scrunch it etc. The yarn is English Leceister and the lady I bought it off bred the sheep herself and had it spun commercially. It is a lot scratchier than I thought it would be and haven't dared to tell my DH this! I just keep telling him that I love it and what a bargain it was off ebay!!!!!!

So here's my question - is there any way I can soften this yarn? I did note that it softened up quite a bit after I knitted it twice over..more about that later.

So here I am with blue/green yarn and I don't know what to do with it. I was going to make a baby blanket but I'm not sure if it's too scratchy. (By scratchy, I mean I would have the itches if I had jumper (sweater in American-ese) made from it. I sat down and tried a few patterns but the colour was so strong that it overpowered any pattern I tried to knit. After reading this forum, I got an idea from one of the members (sorry forgotten who )who had a work in progress of a baby blanket with vertical panels. I liked the simple diamond panel. So I ripped out my sample square/oblong that was now 30cm long with at least 5 different patterns in it and tried it out. It is just enough to add some texture and let's the colour be just colour (if you know what I mean!). Thank you to that person for inspiring me.

I intend to dye the other lots which will be intereting as I've never dyed anything before. I have managed to find some Gaywool dyes (bit odd that I found more places to buy Gaywool dyes in the US than OZ when it's an Australian product!) and will keep you posted as to how it all turns out.

As a knitter, I have knitted since I was 7 (I think) and I'm an ad hoc knitter. I go through phases (like now) where I just can't get enough of it and I'm constantly thinking about it (what stitch can I try on the blue/green yarn!!!).

Sorry for the long post - thanks for listening/reading.

Kind regards,

Littlemaze.

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  12:58:02 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Welcome Littlemaze! I can't advise you on your question since I am a new knitter, but I can say hello/welcome/and keep coming back. I also am pretty new to this forum, but I love it and the people who share their experience with me. The most generous people belong to this website. So thanks for your post...it was not too long! Especially at this time of night. Most people are fast asleep. Esp. those on the East coast. Well I have to hit the sack and get some sleep. Take care...talk with you soon. Vicky

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  12:58:02 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Welcome Littlemaze! I can't advise you on your question since I am a new knitter, but I can say hello/welcome/and keep coming back. I also am pretty new to this forum, but I love it and the people who share their experience with me. The most generous people belong to this website. So thanks for your post...it was not too long! Especially at this time of night. Most people are fast asleep. Esp. those on the East coast. Well I have to hit the sack and get some sleep. Take care...talk with you soon. Vicky

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
The thing I would recommend for softening the yarn is to knit a swatch up, wash it, and see how it feels. Lots of wool yarns I've worked with have been horribly scratchy before washing, but soft and a little fuzzy afterward. If that's the case, you'd still have to work with the yarn in scratchy mode, but the finished product would be beautiful.

For softening the yarn before you knit with it...I have no idea.

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

Amimono wa daisuki desu.

Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
The thing I would recommend for softening the yarn is to knit a swatch up, wash it, and see how it feels. Lots of wool yarns I've worked with have been horribly scratchy before washing, but soft and a little fuzzy afterward. If that's the case, you'd still have to work with the yarn in scratchy mode, but the finished product would be beautiful.

Lizzi

Amimono wa daisuki desu.

Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Lizzi

Amimono wa daisuki desu.

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  07:40:59 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I agree with Lizzi's advice. Try knitting up a swatch (or two) and dunking it. Eucalan, or whatever is equivalent in Oz (it's a lanolin rinse) is great for softening the feel of a knitted garment. I believe you can use hair conditioner to get the same effect. If it works you can soak the garment after you've knitted it and know it will be softer afterward.

Ebay is terrific but colors can be deceiving. I often email a seller before bidding and ask for a verbal description. This can be helpful if the seller does craft work and has a good eye. However if the yarn arrives and is just unbearable, overdyeing will work! I've used acid dyes on wool and love the results - I turned an orange lopi that would stop traffic into a nicely subdued burnt orange which is warm and bright but not harsh.

This is a great forum, full of good advice and warm wishes.

Welcome!

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

I agree with Lizzi's advice. Try knitting up a swatch (or two) and dunking it. Eucalan, or whatever is equivalent in Oz (it's a lanolin rinse) is great for softening the feel of a knitted garment. I believe you can use hair conditioner to get the same effect. If it works you can soak the garment after you've knitted it and know it will be softer afterward.

Ebay is terrific but colors can be deceiving. I often email a seller before bidding and ask for a verbal description. This can be helpful if the seller does craft work and has a good eye. However if the yarn arrives and is just unbearable, overdyeing will work! I've used acid dyes on wool and love the results - I turned an orange lopi that would stop traffic into a nicely subdued burnt orange which is warm and bright but not harsh.

Welcome!

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Welcome!

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  08:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
If the yarn is too scratchy for a crib blanket, make an outdoor blanket to be used when the baby is in the stroller. That way the blanket is not touching against the skin but against the outerwear clothing. Another thought is to line the back of the baby blanket with something soft such as flannel.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  08:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
If the yarn is too scratchy for a crib blanket, make an outdoor blanket to be used when the baby is in the stroller. That way the blanket is not touching against the skin but against the outerwear clothing. Another thought is to line the back of the baby blanket with something soft such as flannel.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Go to Top of Page

michelle
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit michelle's Homepage Send michelle a Private Message
How about using the yarn to make a felted bag? There are quite a few felted bag patterns on the internet, and the scratchiness of the yarn wouldn'd matter in a bag.
Michelle

http://www.retroknits.com
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/retroknits
Go to Top of Page

michelle
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit michelle's Homepage Send michelle a Private Message
How about using the yarn to make a felted bag? There are quite a few felted bag patterns on the internet, and the scratchiness of the yarn wouldn'd matter in a bag.
Michelle

Go to Top of Page

michelle
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Michelle

Go to Top of Page

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:11:45 AM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message

Hi again,

Thank you for your speedy replies.

Today, I speed knitted a swatch and washed it in shampoo and conditioner. It is now much softer - yeah. I will be giving it another wash in the morning (taking it in the shower with me(!) to give it another beauty parlour treatment. I suspect it will get softer again.

Hooray - I don't have to rip out the 2 inches that I have already knitted.

Regards,
Littlemaze
Go to Top of Page

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:11:45 AM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message

Hi again,

Today, I speed knitted a swatch and washed it in shampoo and conditioner. It is now much softer - yeah. I will be giving it another wash in the morning (taking it in the shower with me(!) to give it another beauty parlour treatment. I suspect it will get softer again.

Regards,
Littlemaze
Go to Top of Page

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Hi again,

Regards,
Littlemaze
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

Hi again,

Regards,
Littlemaze

Good Mornig Little Maze, Aren't these knitter's the best? Congrats that you don't have to frog your project! I received some wool in the mail this week that's hard and scratchy. Maybe I'll try taking a shower with it.....you know...shower with a friend and conserve water????????? Have a good day.

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

Hi again,

Regards,
Littlemaze

Good Mornig Little Maze, Aren't these knitter's the best? Congrats that you don't have to frog your project! I received some wool in the mail this week that's hard and scratchy. Maybe I'll try taking a shower with it.....you know...shower with a friend and conserve water????????? Have a good day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.