Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 What do you use on Superwash?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LauraLLD
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  08:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit LauraLLD's Homepage Send LauraLLD a Private Message
A friend and I want to get some of the Knit Picks superwash yarn for socks, but we have no idea what would work best for dyeing it. My friend is leaning towards synthetic, but I'd really rather use natural dyes. We've only used Kool-aid before, and might even consider using it if it would be color-fast.

Any suggestions?

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  2:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
All of the dyes you mentioned will work on superwash. The only thing different about it that I have found as it takes dye very easily and quickly and lots of it. So use what you like. The KoolAid colorfastness has been debated back and forth. Mine has been colorfast even during felting so take that for what it is worth.

Have fun.

Cayli in San Diego

My Blog and Handspun Yarn

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
I've found that I have to be careful to heat the dyepot slowly when I dye superwash yarns. I also have to make sure I stir more often than with non-superwash yarns. This if offset by not having to worry about felting in the dyepot, or when rinsing.

The part of the yarn that gets exposed to more heat gets a darker color.

KS
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  8:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cayli1

All of the dyes you mentioned will work on superwash. The only thing different about it that I have found as it takes dye very easily and quickly and lots of it. So use what you like.

yes, I agree with this. Any acid dye will work but it does take up dye more readily.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  7:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I've only ever used Kool-Aid. Worked great! Nice bright colors, and the dye bath exhausted very quickly. No bleeding when I rinsed the skeins, even with the red.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by