Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 New regs up at TSA site
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  11:47:18 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Nicole: Whenever you have an inner ear problem or any balance problem its very easy for you to just order a wheel chair and when you have to go through the metal detector you might be wheeled around and hand screened. You really don't have to torture yourself. The only place in the world that I know of and I could very well be wrong, that treats people with physical disabilites in a proper fashion is Rapid City, South Dakota. If you need a cane to get through the metal detector they provide you with one while yours is being checked and then they, yes, they carry your things to a table with chairs so you can put on your shoes, jacket, etc. while sitting down. Perhaps all TSA agents should go there for training. I, like you follow the rules but as an arthritic old lady who is on the no fly list I have decided they can meet me at least half way and I have to make the half way point. I order wheel chairs when I book a flight. No problem out of San Francisco and in Oakland shouldn't be one for you. Take care. Beverley [!]

PS: Don't mean to be flipent but being on the no fly list is not something anyone needs. Its about as much fun as having your identify stolen and I have been there and survived that too. I survive lots of things. Its the only way to go. You have to make it work for you not againt you.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  1:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I don't know what the official ruling on Leathermans is now, and I'm curious as well. I got one for Christmas this past year, after there was something about being able to carry on blades less than 3-4" (I think). When I travelled back home after the holidays, I just put it in my checked luggage. I asked the lady at the counter if I could bring it in my carry-on (this one is my third one, my first two Leathermans have been stolen - and one had my name engraved on it!) to keep it safe. She told me at the time that she didn't even know what the regs were! But, just to be safe, it was put in the checked luggage and luckily wasn't stolen this time. I did have a crescent wrench that I had forgotten was in my backpack from a recent show strike confiscated once, though. It took me forever to figure out what they were talking about, as I normally don't carry wrenches around with me!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  2:35:32 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Kadiddly: Boy it sure takes a lot of crust to steal something with someone's name engraved on it. You don't suppose this person has the same name as you do you? Naw, too much of a coincidence. I always put of list of contents in the suitcase even though I ship it ahead. Also, I carry a copy of the list with me and as I do this on my computer it is there too. Take care. Beverley [!]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

lrdittrich@aamc.org
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  8:23:31 PM  Show Profile Send lrdittrich@aamc.org a Private Message
I'm leaving for Europe on Friday and I'll be interested to see the security situation as I go from Nat'l Airport in DC to Heathrow, etc. I think I'll be going through Germany at some point in my travels and my experience of German airport security is NOT pleasant.

While I understand the need for security, this incredibly imprecise and poorly implemented system drives me nuts, as does the fear mongering of our present government. I mean, one crazy lady has a fit on a plane and instead of just landing and getting her off the plane, they have to get everyone off and take all the luggage off and search it, etc. Complete lunacy. And when I'm flying to Chicago, as I did recently, I can keep my (sharp, pointy) knitting needles but not my tiny tube of lipgloss (which I forgot was in my bag). Yet a year or so ago, the lipgloss was fine and the knitting needles weren't.

Someday I'm going to lose it in a security line and end up arrested. I wonder if they'll let me have my knitting at Guantanemo?

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  8:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
On a semi-related note. I love this!

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2006/09/06/1806350-sun.html

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Oh, my, good for Air Canada.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

kkehrig
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  07:36:24 AM  Show Profile Send kkehrig a Private Message
I recommend putting a strand of holding yarn through your last row in case you need to remove your needles. Security can be so arbitrary, I have given up knitting on planes. Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  07:42:31 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
Lisa, keep us posted on your adventures. I'm travelling to England in November. I'm not worried about getting on the plane in the US with my knitting, but I'd really like to know if I can get on the plane at Heathrow and come home with my knitting in my hand.

Three cheers for Air Canada!

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  07:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Security can indeed be arbitrary, I've passed the security check fine with my knitting and needles only to find that the stewardess on the airplane forbid me to knit. I had no choice but to put my knitting away. She decided that it was a safety issue in case we had turbulance. I couldn't argue with her, I could have caused an "incident" so I took my book and read the rest of the way. So it really depends on who you are dealing with.

Another time I flew and one of the passengers next to me complained and again the stewardess made me stop so even if you get past the security check there is no guarantee that you can knit on board an airplane. But for that matter sometimes my DH does not let me knit in the car either, he says I could get hurt with those pokey things. I suppose he is right.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

and my sock blog: http://bananasocks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gumdrop31

USA
Posted - 09/07/2006 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumdrop31's Homepage Send gumdrop31 a Private Message
I have to say I have been flying a lot recently and I have not run into a problem both domestically or internationally.

I even took my knitting with me on a flight from Heathrow to LA a week after the scare. Security had a horrendous line that started in a parking garage. It took two hours to make it up to the scanners and I don't think the security process was really any different than before. Besides the pat down that is. I got the most thorough pat down from one of the female security personnel I have ever had in my life.

My carry-on bag (small as allowed) held my sock knitting (metal circular US2's) and lace project. I even had a syringe with medicine and the proper prescription. There was not a second glance at anything not even the medicine. No checking ID to make sure it was mine or even looking at the syringe to make sure it contents matched the prescription.

Of course I was prepared to give up my knitting needles if necessary but I didn't relish the 12-hr flight so I was happy they made it through.

I understand what a difficult situation it is to keep our skies safe but I think that anything can be made a weapon and beside overt items like knifes, tools, etc.., it is next to impossible to take everything away from a passenger that could be "dangerous".

Allison in Los Angeles
gumdrop.typepad.com/knitting

Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Good for Air Canada! Too bad they don't (can't, probably, unfortunately) do that with some of the other passengers!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  8:20:46 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
quote Originally posted by lrdittrich@aamc.org
my experience of German airport security is NOT pleasant.

In my experience, it's not the Germans, but the Americans freaking out. A layover at or a departure from a German airport is not much hassle EXCEPT when you're headed for the USA. Last time I flew from Frankfurt to Washington, they frisked every single passenger, on top of the regular security procedures.... [**]
Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  6:59:42 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
The official rule on the leather-man multitools is this: If they have a balde on them they are NOT allowed. No blades, knives are allowed in carry on bags.

I had to take away my 80 year old mother's pocket knife she has had in her purse for years when she flew home from a vitit with me this summer.

Bev, This is one of the nice things about smaller airports. I also work in a smaller airport and we do similar things. And just so you know. Many screeners have actually been sent to Rapid City for training.

Ana, The airlines can have rules that are different and more strict than TSA Unfortunately TSA has no say over that sort of thing. TSA (federal) rules and the basic minimum that is required.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?