Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 New regs up at TSA site
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  7:23:15 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Oh, Mamid: You are a hoot. Who, would sit there and take apart one of those cutters with a screw driver (is that still banned?) to get at the blade when you can take on cork screws? It boggles the mind but with what I go through I guess it shouldn't. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  7:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
I have that one solved I take dental floss, it will cut yarn too. But I don't know that dental floss could be used to tie people up or who knows.....dental floss may be on the list next.

Pretty soon they will give us a hospital gown and a little plastic bag to board an airplane.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  05:56:42 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by myshelle10

Rebecca-- I saw that and snickered-- "personal lubricant" and gel-bras allowed. Gel inserts for your shoes-- not allowed. Water? Nope. I want to know who lobbied to be able to fly with the KY. <sigh>

Influential members of the Mile High Club?

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

JessaLu
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  07:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit JessaLu's Homepage  Send JessaLu a Yahoo! Message Send JessaLu a Private Message
I flew to and from Florida on 8/16 and 8/22 from Hartford with layovers in DC on the way down and Charlotte NC on the way back. I had my brand new 32" KnitPicks circs in a sock as well as my bag of notions with scissors and wooden dpns (just in case) and I didn't have a problem. I got pulled aside for extra screening because I have dental implants that set off the metal detector (thank God I remembered to get a letter from the dentist before we left), but other than that I was able to keep my knitting (yay!).

Just my two cents...and it probably means nothing since the rules have been changed since I got home.

Life isn't fair, Princess, anyone who tells you different is selling something. ~Wesley to Princess Buttercup in 'The Princess Bride'
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:40:55 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
For those who find the new regs ridiculous (and I'm one), read this:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2006/8/14sullivansullivan.html

Don't read it while you're drinking anything, as it may cause you to spew it out of your mouth when you laugh uncontrollably.
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  1:16:38 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
It would be funny if it weren't so d*mn close to possible future reality.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

bigeyeblue
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  5:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigeyeblue's Homepage Send bigeyeblue a Private Message
You have got to be kidding on the clover thing. Break that thing apart? Apparently they are worried that the Incredible Hulk will be a knitter's accomplice. This is the whole point, what will get us in the end is the lack of common sense.

Eleni

http://www.holyknitbatman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  8:37:43 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I had a couple of them confiscated, and hubby's nail clippers, file, manicure scissors, even baby scissors in package. The fear is of people using those little tools to tamper with wires.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  9:54:18 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Katheroni: You think those regs are ridiculous? Try being on the no fly list. I know from very personal experience that its not fun. Its a pain in the neck. It also has made me do something I never would have done before--I make a plane reservation and at the same time order wheel chairs where ever I shall be. They want to push me around, they can, literally. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  11:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message
"However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers. Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security."

What's the point of having a list if any Barney Fife security officer can decide what you can take on the plane? Is anyone out there working on that "beam me up Scotty" technology?

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:17:49 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Nicole: While I can't be beamed up yet I do the next best thing, ship my luggage ahead of time. It arrives at the hotel a day or so before me and then I ship it home and they carry it up all those stairs for me. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

bigeyeblue
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigeyeblue's Homepage Send bigeyeblue a Private Message
Well, it's like Bill Maher said over the weekend, if we all converted to Islam, then we could take hair gel on the plane....hopefully it would work for knitting gear as well?

Eleni

http://www.holyknitbatman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  09:59:20 AM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message
Hi Bev

Shipping luggage is not a bad idea and I'll bet it'll be competitive to do so when the airlines start charging you for your luggage.

Unfortunately is doesn't address the fact that you probably can't take the chance of knitting on the plane anymore. I'm not such a good knitter that I want to take the risk of losing any project I am working on, be it ever so humble, or the equipment I am working with. I will stow all my gear on my checked luggage from now on. Now I will either read or face the back of the seat in front of me until they provide me with a teeny bit of water when they decide to do so.

Power corrupts and TSA security officers are not immune. Here in Oakland, until recently, if you went through security in Terminal 2 you were not required to remove your shoes (now of course you are), but in Terminal 1 you were. Terminal 2 houses only Southwest flights. To the best of my knowledge there have been no terrorist threats on Southwest. Also none on the flights leaving out of Terminal 1. No difference at all except for pain-in-the-tuckus inconvenience purely at the discretion of TSA security officers in Terminal 1.

I know, I know, we're all supposed to be grateful for the inconvenience because it makes us all a bit "safer." The thing is we're not really much safer for all that passenger screening, not as long as the stuff in cargo is NOT screened, and it's not! So I'm officially sick to death of the inconvenience. I would, at the very least, like to see some new reg that requires the ok of some supervisor before something that is sanctioned on the TSA list is confiscated at the discretion of a lone TSA security officer.

I know I'm ranting, but I'm facing a cross-country trip in October to visit my folks. I should be excited. I just dread it. I'm sure I'll calm down before then!

Nicole

Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  12:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Umm...cargo is screened, isn't it? That's why you can put the liquids and whatnot in there and not carry-on, because they screen all checked luggage for explosive devices, and have for many years. They don't go through every single piece individually and personally, but all luggage goes through some kind of security screening. Hijacking/bombing a plane isn't exactly a recent scientific breakthrough or a brand-new threat, after all. We are all just hyper-sensitive to it now.

Nicole, don't worry about your trip. I flew the weekend all of this nonsense started, and had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy the fact that you are going on a trip and will get to see your family. I think people make out travelling to be more stressful than it actually is, even with all the security regs. I've travelled a lot, all over the world, and you know, if you just take the "roll with the punches" approach to it, it's not that bad. Always always have something to do (I personally always carry at least one paperback, a puzzle book, a deck of cards, and my knitting, no matter how long or short the trip - people watching is fun, but will only last me so long), or be able to sleep at will on uncomfortable airport chairs (I can't). The only time I ever had any kind of "problem" flying was my own fault that I had overslept and missed boarding my flight. I've been able to take knitting needles on every flight I've taken for the past two and a half years since I started knitting. (I would make sure that I had a project actually on the needles, and not plan to cast on during the flight.) If you ask the flight attendents for water, they will get you some as soon as safely possible (don't ask during take off, for instance, or lots of turbulance). It's not like there is a plot to make travelling as uncomfortable as possible. Yes, I do agree that the recent regulations are a bit on the ridiculous side, and that they are starting down a very slippery slope, but you know, there's nothing I can do about it, they are trying to make sure I am as safe as possible, and I still love my family and friends and seeing new places that I can easily put up with it.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kadiddly
Umm...cargo is screened, isn't it?

It goes through a quick scan but 90% of checked baggage is not really checked, as in it is not opened and searched, sniffed for illegals.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  4:37:32 PM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message
Hi kadiddy

The only reason they let you put liquids in your luggage is that it's the combination of liquids that creates the bomb. In other words, the terrorist would take two (or more?) separate bottles of fluids (I don't exactly know which ones, but it looks like shampoo must be one of them) or gels and, once in the air, combine them to create an explosive. I can't imagine that all of the ingredients are household goods or we would all be at risk with kids playing chemists around the house, but presumably they all look innocuous.

Actually, you can put anything you want in your checked baggage, even firearms if they're licensed. The only things you can't put in there are things like lighters or oxygen tanks that can spontaneously combust in flight. Mokey is correct, less than 10% of luggage is inspected. Even less of the non-luggage cargo is inspected.

As for travelling with my knitting, I just don't want to take the chance of its being confiscated. About the only thing I might dare to take are my lace-knit knitting angels. Those are done on #1 dpns with cotton thread. I can afford to lose a set of dpns and a little bit of cotton crochet thread. I can make a bunch of arms, bodices, and wings on the flight. The heads and skirts are knit in the round and I get very vocal when I try to start such small projects with just a few stitches on tiny dpns. They'd probably throw me off the flight for foul langauge (which I am not normally given to!).

Anyhow, you're right that I will enjoy visiting my family. I know I'll also enjoy my trip to Crete in November, it's just the getting there that I dread. You realize, of course, that the objective of the terrorists is to terrorize us and I have to say that, based on our reactions, they have in large measure succeeded. Shame on us!

Nicole

Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  5:50:01 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
Okay you can call me Barney if it makes you feel better, but that isn't my name. Yes, I am a TSA screener and no I'm not on a power trip.

For all of you so you don't misunderstand. We have an SOP (standard operating procedures) manual it's about 5-6 inches thick and covers every bit of minutia we are to do and NOT do. Granted at the larger airports they are so busy they don't always have a chance to read the SOP. This thing changes ALL the time and in times like the past month there are changes made daily sometimes more than once a day. I think I could recite the SOP in my sleep. I'm lucky, I work in a smaller airport.

Nicole, don't blame that screening area for making you take off your shoes. It is now mandatory for everyone to remove shoes if they are physically able. It is no longer an option. If you don't remove your shoes you don't fly. Obviously, there are certain exceptions with this rule. Obviously I cannot explain the "whys" and "what-fors" of all the things we are mandated to do but I would be happy to try to answer any questions any of you might have. Feel free to send me a PM or ask here.

BTW, did you know that TSA officers are the only governemtal employees whose job is mandated by law (congress)?

Your friendly knitting, weaving, and spinning TSA screener.
Go to Top of Page

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  7:05:43 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message
I just flew from NYC to LA and carried my knitting on and had no problem in either direction. I had 29" circulars that were metal. I would have been quite upset if my lace poncho that was almost finished was lost!!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  7:45:11 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Nicole: Not to worry about your knitting. They let me take mine and I get a lot done. Now about the shoes, I have had to take off my shoes long before Richard Reid or whatever his name is tried the shoe bomb. It all started in San Francisco before 9/11 when I wouldn't pick up someone else's bag. It wasn't mine and the checker kept insisting it was mine. When mine came through she confiscated it all and had it emptied and my shoes searched. After 9/11 when they all had to become citizens she was very upset and on the news all the time. Talk about getting even without even trying she got fired. She had been working at the airport for I think she said 14 years. Well, she isn't any longer. They won't let me off the no fly list eventhough they said I shouldn't have been there to begin with. I can appeal it at the U. S. Court of Appeals but being in the Ninth District that could cause even more problems as they are so controversial. Oh well, what's a poor girl going to do. Just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  10:13:09 PM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message
Hi RiverRock

I certainly did not mean to say that ALL TSA agents are Barney Fifes, only some. Whenever someone is given power over others, there is a risk of abuse. It's why our governmental system was designed with checks and balances. It's why it's worked so well. All I would like to see is the possibility of appealing a decision made by a TSA agent to a supervisor. Right now I don't see one.

The one time I didn't take my shoes off was shortly after I had undergone surgery on my middle ear (about 18 months ago). The surgery was a failure and my equilibrium was seriously compromised. Taking my shoes off without a chair was not an option much less putting them back on. By the time the ordeal was over I was in tears. Two weeks later I flew Southwest out of Terminal 2 in Oakland. I was terrified of having to go through that again only to find that they just waved me through. I understand that it's now mandatory to remove one's shoes. Fortunately my equilibrium has improved and I can remove my shoes without too much difficulty now.

On another occasion entirely, shortly after the TSA regs had changed to allow some things previously prohibited, my Micra Leatherman (which is about 2 and half inches long and had been a gift) was confiscated. I told the TSA agent that my understanding was that the regs had changed. It was in all the papers and on the news. He told me that it was not yet enacted. When I checked later I found that he had lied. The new regs had indeed been enacted by the time I flew. Of course I complied with his directive.

I wanted to replace my dandy little tool but they are quite pricey so I decided to chance it on eBay. Well it turns out that eBay is lousy with these things. You can buy them in lots of 10 at a time! They all advertise that they have been confiscated at airport security checkpoints. So now I will always wonder just how honest that guy was.

Now please realize that I am a rule follower. I get to the airport in plenty of time to clear security and make my flight. I stand patiently in line without complaining. I make sure my suitcase is unlocked so it can be inspected. I never put valuable things in it so as not to tempt anyone. But I really do wish that those that I interface with would also follow the rules.

Given these experiences, you can understand that I am reluctant to take any knitting except insignificant stuff on my carry-on. I've reached the point where I'm very nervous around TSA agents. Most have been very nice and polite, but it only takes a couple of rotten apples to leave you with a bad impression. And whenever there is a possibility of abuse of power there will be a rotten apple or two. It's human nature. It's just that I feel very vulnerable when there is not a mechanism in place to keep that abuse in check.

I want to thank you for your offer to answer any questions. How about this one. I have a new (used) Micra Leatherman. Just to be safe I asked my husband's tech to cut off the blade. Is it now safe to carry on?

Thanks so much

Nicole

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?