Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 New regs up at TSA site
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bfaye
Seriously Hooked

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  7:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaye's Homepage Send bfaye a Private Message
I just checked the regulations at the tsa.org site and they list some modifications to prohibited items. Seems we can carry eye drops and lipstick on board now. I'm particularly relieved about the eye drops, lipstick isn't a big deal except for the moisturizing part. They also have a new page up about knitting needles. They recommend plastic or wooden circs less than 31" in length and have some other notes about needles as well. Worth checking out if you're flying.
benne

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  7:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Oh crap. Here's the new langauge:
Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers. Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. We recommend the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

* Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
* We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
* Scissors must have blunt points
* In case a Security Officer does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
* As a precautionary measure we recommend that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  8:10:37 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
At this point in time I use Bryson 16 in. circulars for hats. It can be used for a scarf also. As a person on the "No Fly" list I have been through so much crap with these people. I tried to get off the list and was told that "while you shouldn't have been on it you aren't getting off." I can appeal it to the US Court of Appeals which in my area is District 9, most controversial. Think I shall leave that one alone. Could make it worse. However, and you know with me there is always a "however" I have decided a long time ago, don't get mad get even. When I book a flight I also book wheelchairs everywhere. They want to push me around, well, they can. Why should I walk all those miles to the back of the airport where my plane will be when they can push me there. You just have to make it work for you. Take care. Beverley

PS: In October I am going to Florida--already have my paper slippers to wear when I take off my shoes but what is new about taking off shoes. I have been doing it long before Richard Ried and I wear sandles. Now I wear my "airplane" shoes -- no back, slip 'em off and slip 'em on.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  8:18:27 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi Glccafar: A 31 inch circular actually can be a deadly weapon where by you could make a ligature and garrot someone. I couldn't as my hands are so arthritic but I could give it to someone else. Unless you are doing something like those sox (won't get started on sox and me) you could do something on a 24 inch. If you are doing sox is there a reason you can't revert to dpn's. I have a hat pattern that I can make flying across country. I have my book weight, book and knitting. Tray down, book on tray with weight, read book while knitting hat. This isn't my pattern but I call it my "cross country hat." Early on can you believe that TSA (not too brilliant to my way of thinking but I have had problems) that you couldn't have a crochet needle longer than 31 inches. Good grief! How could you manage a 31 inch crochet hook? Boggles the mind. And they think I am strange. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  04:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I'm glad to see that they are advising people to bring a self addressed stamped envelope just in case.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Bev -- be careful with the book weight -- a teacher was arrested last year I think it was because some TSA person thought it was a weapon -- it was one of the leather ones that is thin in the middle and heavier and thicker on the ends.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Buckeyeknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

364 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile Send Buckeyeknitter a Private Message
That is interesting about the knitting needles. I just flew in and out of Chicago O'Hare last week (after the London scare) and I had 8" dp metal needles - two pair as I had two different socks I was working on. No one said a word yet they did take my sample size Clinique makeup (thank goodness it was sample size!) that I had overlooked.

I had some blunt childrens scissors taken from me on a previous flight while allowing the metal dp's on board. I could not believe it

It really is a hassle to fly and I do understand all the precautions but I always feel sorry for the elderly passengers who move quite slowly to start with and then they have to take off shoes, etc etc

Pam
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  08:13:14 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message
I'll have to check with my printed copy when I get home, but isn't that what the knitting needle page always said? It certainly recommended bamboo or plastic instead of metal, shorter circulars, a crochet hook to save your work (what are you supposed to do with it exactly?) and an SASE when I first looked it up last November.

I don't think this is new, and though security may be tighter now I and many other people have certainly flown with metal circs with no difficulty in the past. We'll just have to see about the future. Since I knit with metal needles I tend to take a crochet project or a project on DPNS -- I use bamboo DPNS -- as backup.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  08:41:25 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Buckeyeknitter

I had some blunt childrens scissors taken from me on a previous flight while allowing the metal dp's on board. I could not believe it

We have lost so many nail clippers, scissors at check in we no longer keep them in our travel kit.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Rho: That teacher won the case that is why I take it with me. Anyway the one I take is one I ordered for a gift for a friend and they put the wrong initials on it. The middle one was wrong so I don't mind losing it--have another.

Are they now suggesting you bring stamped addressed envelopes to mail your things? I presume they will post them for you since there are no post boxes in airports since 9/11--you can drop bombs in them.

Take care. Beverley [!]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  8:53:25 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Actually, at Logan next to the display with the brass knuckles and other obvious things you are not allowed to bring, there is a post box so you can mail your forbidden items home.

I read the new regulations tonight and I find it really funny that you are allowed KY jelly on the plane. I don't want to know. And also that "toy Transformer robots" gets its own category (and for those who were worried, they ARE allowed on the plane).

I always bring a SASE and I have never needed it. But I always bring wooden or plastic needles and nobody's given it a second look.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  4:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
I'm flying from Los Angeles to Raleigh North Carolina, there are no direct flights so I have to fly to Washington DC and change planes. I thought I would check out the tsa.org link as suggested above.

Texas Society of Anesthesiologists

LOL javascript:insertsmilie('[:00]')javascript:insertsmilie('[:00]')

I guess that is not the right link!

I'm really into knitting socks right now, 5" dp little plastic needles? Do you think they would be ok?

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  7:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
dot gov
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Thank you I kind of figured it out, the above just struck me funny.

Happy Knitting,

ana

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  09:46:58 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Ana: That's a hoot. I tried to check out Knitty one time and left out one "t". The site you get is interesting. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  5:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
I'm easily amused!

Happy Knitting,

ana

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  09:56:41 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Rebecca-- I saw that and snickered-- "personal lubricant" and gel-bras allowed. Gel inserts for your shoes-- not allowed. Water? Nope. I want to know who lobbied to be able to fly with the KY. <sigh>

http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/MichelleD
I ran 14 miles and didn't hurt! More to come as I train for a marathon w/ the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society...
Go to Top of Page

ErickaJo
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  11:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Send ErickaJo a Yahoo! Message Send ErickaJo a Private Message
Oh jeez, so I guess magic looping with Addis is out. Good thing I have no near future plans to travel.

ErickaJo
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  12:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
It is funny how mis-spelling a word or changing the ending on a website brings you to some "interesting" sites. I have personally never check but I heard if you go to whitehouse.com it is very different than whitehouse.gov.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

bigeyeblue
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigeyeblue's Homepage Send bigeyeblue a Private Message
This just furthers my argument that TSA really has no idea what the hell they are doing (though it isn't their fault, look who is in charge). I've been traveling with metal needles for almost three years now. Even in Hartford, where they have serious issues that they are single handedly responsible for saving the country from terror, they nave not confiscated anything. Now that I have said this they probably will. On the scissor front, either get the school kids blunt edged ones or clover has that new pendant that works really great and they have no objection to. And on the TSA front, it's great that it only took them almost three full weeks to be reactive and post the blah blahs of the situation on the site.

Eleni

http://www.holyknitbatman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  6:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
actually, they now have a gripe about the clover cutter. Apparently it can be broken apart (with a screwdriver - another banned item) and inside, that razer can be used to cut someone...

Now, I knew they were worried about us crafters making afghans, but this is ridiculous. ;)

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 5.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.