Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Anyone else can't keep up with gift requests?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ghk
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  1:21:22 PM  Show Profile Send ghk a Private Message
Cute idea, mokey!
Go to Top of Page

chantalscraftycorner
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  4:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit chantalscraftycorner's Homepage Send chantalscraftycorner a Private Message
Solaris : don't get me wrong, I am very flattered that people request for knitted items, I like the fact that they like what I make and want something unique. I just don't have time to keep up with all the requests but sure wish I did and could just knit full time

Chantal
www.ChantalsCraftyCorner.com
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  6:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Last year I asked people specifically, "Would you like a hat, a scarf, gloves, or would you prefer something not knitted?" Every single one asked for a scarf! This year I didn't ask, so I hope people aren't disappointed with what they get.

As for non-holiday/birthday requests, I too quote what the askers consider to be outrageous prices, but I consider it perfectly reasonable. I tell them approximately how long it would take me to spin the yarn & knit the item. Then I say multiply that by your hourly wage and add in the cost of materials. If they are willing to pay it (and no one ever has been) then I'll make it. Hey, my time is just as valuable as theirs!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4158 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  6:43:15 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
Chantal,
I totally understand. What I was trying to convey is: I wish I had this problem (here, Solaris makes a 'sad' puppy dog face). Ah, well, the grass always seems greener on the other side... I'm sure that if I was truly swamped by requests and projects I'd be singing a different tune.[:00]
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  6:59:49 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Solaris, I love your knitting! Feel free to knit me something!

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4158 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  09:09:57 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
That's very sweet, mokey.
Go to Top of Page

linann
Warming Up

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  08:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Send linann a Yahoo! Message Send linann a Private Message

The family laughed at me when I started knitting socks. Of course they all tried them on - - -and now want them.

Now, if I full fill their wishes, I have socks to make for 12 grandchildren, 4 kids plus their spouses.

Guess I had better get busy, HUH.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:05:49 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
If you are worried about sound brusque (and I usually am), then you can be really vague. "Maybe..." or "I'm pretty busy for a while" or some such thing will deter polite people. Then you can completely forget about whatever requests didn't strike your fancy.

If people get pushy about it, they're getting impolite and a little more firmness is in order, IMO. Seriously, if someone demands that I spend hours and hours of my time knitting something I don't care for to THEIR order as a GIFT, they need to wake up. Expressions like "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" or "Count your blessings" or "Go away" or "You better go make sure all your other clothing comes from sweat-shop labor, too" come to mind. I find that wishlists can be helpful, but it's really bad when they change from being wishlists to orderlists. Makes those people seem like spoiled brats to me, and also makes me MUCH less likely to knit anything for them. Admiration is welcome, but demands are not.
Go to Top of Page

thechecker
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:26:54 AM  Show Profile Send thechecker a Private Message
I have Lupus, so I don't want to do anything I don't feel like doing. :) I usually just blame the illness. It isn't any fun to knit if you feel pressured and tense!!
I like the choice options someone posted- for Christmas, I am doing plastic canvas barbie furniture for my nieces, I let them pick as many patterns as they wanted, then I went thru and picked what I felt like making! :)

Anne
Go to Top of Page

barbaydos@aol.com
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  09:23:18 AM  Show Profile Send barbaydos@aol.com a Private Message
Ah!! I've learned to say to say no by telling them it would take about three years to receive the item. I also quilt and have had people ask me to quilt for them. I tell them I could tell them what books to buy and I'd be happy to go with them for material.
I have also seen how some of my quilt gifts were handled. My niece mangled the quilt I made her for her marriage. Where as my daughter put all the quilts I made her away. She said they were like pieces of gold, and would display them when the kids got older.
In short, say NO.
Rosanne
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by linann

The family laughed at me when I started knitting socks. Of course they all tried them on - - -and now want them.

Now, if I full fill their wishes, I have socks to make for 12 grandchildren, 4 kids plus their spouses.

Guess I had better get busy, HUH.

Linda

Only if you reeeeeeeeeally want to. If it truly makes you happy to do it, then enjoy it! If it makes you feel put upon or unappreciated, then I really hope you'll use whatever version of "no" or "sorry" you can force yourself to say. Better that, than a gift that was made with anything but joy.
Go to Top of Page

Yarnmonsta
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  1:55:26 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnmonsta a Private Message
It happens all the time -- "Oh, you made that sweater? Would you
make me one too? I'm a size Large and I'd like something just like that." Not a word about how much the yarn might cost, why this person thinks my time is worth nothing, why there is any possible reason I might be inspired to knit something for someone I hardly even know, let alone think of as a friend. I'm delighted to knit wonderful things for friends, the doctor who takes such good care of me, nice washcloths for practically everybody I know (and now those Warshrags from Mason/Dixon Kniting, which I can't seem to stop making, they're so great), and anything my daughter asks for, even fabulous little hats for some of her friends or a blankey for any new baby that's born to a friend or even friend-of-a-friend. But it's a huge wonderment to me when anyone has the audacity to request a time-consuming and usually complicated and expensive to make garment from me when there's no relationship between us. I've been known to ask in reply, "Why would I want to do that?", to which there hasn't yet been an answer. Go ahead and call me cranky, but please don't call me a fool...
Go to Top of Page

Larjmarj
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  2:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Larjmarj's Homepage Send Larjmarj a Private Message
quote:
Admiration is welcome, but demands are not.

Here here, I find that knitting on demand sucks all the fun out of it. I start off with a polite, "No...but I will teach you to knit". If they bite, I am more than happy to spend my time walking them through the basics. Those who are more persistent get informed of the fact that I already have a 40 hour a week job and I don't want another one. Thus far I have taught about seven people how to knit. A few of them have really taken off with it. Which makes me happy and I would like to think it gives them a sense of personal satisfaction as well. If I choose to bestow a gift of hand knit on someone well...lucky them.
Actually I love to tell people no, it's a big part of my job, but I especially love it when my DH asks me if I've got any spare $ [:00]

My just say no blog....
Go to Top of Page

Kiki585
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  2:56:52 PM  Show Profile Send Kiki585 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chantalscraftycorner

I just can't keep up with the requests and I know I won't make it on time with my Christmas gifts! I've got requests for 2 earflap hats for kids with matching scarves, a scarf that I really want to do for the daycare provider, 2 baby afghans, a felted wine tote and a ski tube. I'm feeling the pressure! [crazy]

Chantal
www.ChantalsCraftyCorner.com

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Larimari you're more generous with your time than I am. I don't offer to teach people, I refer them to LYS classes.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I really resent persistant people when it comes to asking for something knitted that will take me forever and a day. I mentioned to a friend that I was finally going to make myself something, a Faroese shawl. So she tells me I can make her one out of cheeeeep acrylic yarn. I told her no, I won't have time, and she still thinks I will relent and make her one. No way. I do have 2 people to knit for, for Christmas; both items will be sweaters replacing sweaters they out-grew! Well, what do you expect to happen, in 9 years! ;-) Also, they do not know I am going to make them and they do, really do, appreciate my knitting!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

knit-wit@charter.net
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:54:58 PM  Show Profile Send knit-wit@charter.net a Private Message
Of special note to GHK, trust me, there is nothing more heartbreaking than knitting for a friend or relative and then finding that the gift is totally unappreciated! This has happened to me more than once. The worst time I made a beautiful shawl for a woman friend out ours. I took special time of course picking out the right colors for her, high quality yarn, etc. I presented it to her on Thanksgiving as a birthday gift. As everyone else oohhed and ahhed over my handiwork she said "thats nice, thank you" and put it back in the box. Never even tried it on and I havn't seen it since! I learned a important lesson that day about who to knit for. It's not really for those who "want" (hats, socks, mittens, sweaters etc...) but for those who really appreciate the craft, the fiber and the time and love that goes into each creation. Melissa
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message
Has anyone else had this happen to them? Last year, a coworker became pregnant with her first baby. Now, as soon as I heard that, I ran out and bought yarn for a blanket for her. About a week later, three other coworkers approached me. THEY had decided the TEAM would give her a gift of a handknitted blanket. Knit by me, of course! They calculated about $12 for yarn, then they wanted to pay me an $20 for the labor. The pattern was one of the Red Heart brochures you get free in the yarn section of Wal-Mart. Not a bad pattern, just nothing I was interested in knitting. Now, it would have been nice if I would have been approached with the idea, before they collected the money. I politely declined to knit a group gift, offering to donate cash for a gift card.

Nowadays, when someone asks me to knit for them, I use Flory's calculation methods... a simple shawl costs about $300! People tend to run at that thought!

www.floryknits.com

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  5:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
I told a man I just recently started dating that I value my knitting highly and I am not just going knit something for anybody. He said that I should knit a blanket for him. Then he joked about having a room full of yarn in his house. Well, unless he plans on filling a room with yarn in MY house...he's going to have to wait awhile.

Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArtLady
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  8:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtLady's Homepage Send ArtLady a Private Message

Here is an idea for those of you who continually receive unwanted requests for your handknits, especially from those who are not fam or close personal friends:
Conversation goes like this...
Them: "Oh that poncho is sooo beautiful!!! Can you make one for me?"
You: (with a BIG SMILE) "Why certainly! Here is my "REQUEST FOR HANDKNITS" price list. It has the prices for several handknit items! Take it with you and give me a call later and we'll discuss your yarn preferences!"
Your price list could give 3 "price options" for each item: to allow for Grade A, AA or AAA yarn choices. And be sure to include: "Call soon for an estimated completion and delivery date!"

Between you and me: A "designer scarf" (you know the kind...the one with all the beautiful specialty yarns, etc) would price at $199.
A poncho of equal quality would price at $349 minimum.

If they are willing to pay handsomely for your work, they really, really appreciate your work. You may not mind doing the "work" for someone who is willing to appreciate the handknit.

Art Lady
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.